IT reviews. Or is reviewed. Or both. In different ways.

Started by JasonPratt, September 06, 2017, 08:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

So far sounds like the other major King adaptation this year has slammed the ball toward the parking lot!

Non-spoiler reviews for a book that's Lord how many years old now? YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION I DON'T REALLY WANT TO KNOW HOW MUCH OLDER I AM THAN THIS BOOK!!

As expected, this film is about the kid-half of the story; and plays as a standalone, with an option to go for the adult side later.

One spoiler from the reviews, which is worth spoiling: like the classic TV miniseries, the writers decided to jettison the... um... way that the kids ultimately escape from the sewers. By become adults. If you've read the book or have read much about it, you'll know what I mean.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 06, 2017, 08:16:07 AM
As expected, this film is about the kid-half of the story; and plays as a standalone, with an option to go for the adult side later.

That's a really smart move.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 06, 2017, 08:16:07 AM
One spoiler from the reviews, which is worth spoiling: like the classic TV miniseries, the writers decided to jettison the... um... way that the kids ultimately escape from the sewers. By become adults. If you've read the book or have read much about it, you'll know what I mean.

Also smart. I'm not sure how you'd work that into a film and it's not a great plot point in the book anyway.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

JasonPratt

I kind of get what King was going for, but it's still very WTF, figuratively and literally.  ???
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mirth

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

JasonPratt

JasonPratt

Oh, hah! -- I hadn't even realized, the new film arrives 27 years after the original mini-series adaptation.

That's nifty, not because OMG THE AGE IT BURRRNNNNSSSS MMEEEEEEE, but because 27 years is It's feeding cycle in the book.

I don't know if that's accidental, or planned, but if that was planned then that's some super-fan levels of production!  O0

mirth

mirth

JasonPratt

Came expecting 45 minutes of black silence after a few minutes of silent drinking.

Was not disappointed! -- but for other reasons.

If you haven't seen their prior ep on Annabelle: Creation, their opening joke might not make much sense. So, a good chunk of their ep last time was devoted to the super-scammy contest being run by the producers: make your own short 2 minute film about the doll, and if you win the contest Warner Bros will pay you $100 for all rights to make works from your work and to use your work, in perpetuity, with no further money or rights ever coming back to you -- and you might possibly get to meet with executives behind the Annabelle series (or whatever) but they reserve the right to send an assistant secretary or something to meet you, or just not send anyone at all.

It sounds like satire, but apparently it isn't?! -- so their joke is that Stephen King won the contest.

Edited to add: my joke at the top, is a reference to their extended joke on/for their fans about Transformers 5, where all three of their main review shows (Half in the Bag, re:View, and Plinkett), devoted shows at the same time for TF5 -- where people we've never seen before, subbing in for Mike and Jay, "reviewed" the film by drinking themselves into a blackout after five minutes (the Plinkett review wasn't even that much) and then the rest of the runtime is just a silent black screen. I thought it was a genius joke, but a lot of the fans were torqued.

JasonPratt

One amusing side-note from the reviewers I've heard / read so far: they'll talk about the origins of It being a cosmic horror from beyond the universe etc., but so far (including Mutt and Jeff here ;) ) every one of them talks about "It" having crash landed on Earth "centuries ago" or "thousands of years ago".

In the book, It's arrival was responsible for the final extinction of the dinosaurs. That's kind of literally where "It" gets its name or nickname of "It": the impression of semi-conscious dinos in horror as It is falling from the sky.

Jay is surely correct, however, that the co-author of this book was cocaine.  <:-)

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.