Readable book on Pacific War

Started by Phantom, August 17, 2017, 01:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantom

After being in my historical blind spot for 30 years I'm beginning to develop an interest in the WW2 Pacific Theater. Can anyone recommend a good single volume history book on this war?
What I'm after is something readable - by that I mean more in Shelby Foote's/Anthony Beevors style than say Glantz (I don't need to know Japans corn production figures for 1943). I'm happy for it to focus on American naval & island hopping operations  - mainland aspects of the conflict (Burma/India/China) not crucial, though if they're included that's OK.
Any suggestions, either for books you've read or one's that are widely viewed as leaders in the field would be appreciated - as mentioned, I'm a novice in this theater so when browsing the authors & titles they don't mean much to me.
Thanks & Regards
Keith

Silent Disapproval Robot

If you are OK with something that's mainly focussed on the Allied side and aren't bothered by somewhat triumphalist tone, The Conquering Tide is alright.   I really like The Rising Sun by John Toland but I think that might be getting a little too into the political/economic weeds.

bbmike

^ Toland's The Rising Sun is a great book.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Con

Big fan of Ian tolls conquering ride and pacific crucible. Very good feel of being in the room with the commanders and understanding their flaws and personality.

mirth

Quote from: Con on August 17, 2017, 02:09:15 PM
Big fan of Ian tolls conquering ride and pacific crucible. Very good feel of being in the room with the commanders and understanding their flaws and personality.

+1 Toll is excellent.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Phantom

Thanks for the suggestions guys, Toll looks good but don't know if I'm ready for another trilogy (read Foote's on the ACW - enormous read, hugely entertaining though very time consuming) - will also look at the others for something a little briefer.
Regards
Keith