Genesys

Started by Bison, June 30, 2017, 11:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Fantasy Flight Games just announced a new RPG system using the interpretive dice system.  Genesys is a generic game system that is supposed to be adaptable to any setting.  It looks intriguing and I bet FFG  creates a lot of various splat and setting books for the game. 

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/27/genesys/

bbmike

I just bought three RPGs!
But I'll probably get this too.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Bison

I think it sounds like it has more in common with Fate than GURPS, but as they release more information we will see how things like skill trees take shape.

BanzaiCat

You'd know better than I, then. I don't know Fate.

I had an opportunity to write a Civil War sourcebook for GURPS about ten years ago, but I had to decline as I didn't know the system well at all.

If it's anything similar to GURPS, it'll be awesomely modular.  :dreamer:

bayonetbrant

Quote from: BC on June 30, 2017, 11:46:09 AM
So...GURPS, then?

GURPS is for people that can actually do math, since it uses real dice

FFG's "interpretive" dice use cute pictures on them
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 30, 2017, 12:13:26 PM
FFG's "interpretive" dice use cute pictures on them

I hate those dice. I'm always rolling kittens.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

I'm starting to like interpretive dice system. Games seem to flow faster and you have a bit more flexibility as a GM.
If you roll kittens your character immediately becomes a Horta.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on June 30, 2017, 12:18:11 PM

Cool! Which rules set is that?!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

I wonder if the results on the custom dice are the same as their Star Wars RPG (kinda looks it).

Or whether they made slight changes to be accessory squeezing jerks.

The Star Wars dice were not cheap.  Which is the only complaint I had.  More fun than role-playing an accountant.  ;)

Bison

My understanding is that the Star Wars dice are functionally the same, but of course Genesys has different symbols and dice.  So it seems as though you can use your Star Wars dice as long as you learn which symbols match between the two games.

I like interpretive dice, but it requires both engaged players and gm.  Otherwise it can be a frustrating experience.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on June 30, 2017, 12:20:10 PM

Munchkin Genesys?

Bison

It's becoming very clear that some of you have never actually played munchkin.

bbmike

Quote from: BC on June 30, 2017, 02:29:48 PM
Quote from: mirth on June 30, 2017, 12:20:10 PM

Munchkin Genesys?

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

Quote from: Bison on June 30, 2017, 02:33:15 PM
It's becoming very clear that some of you have never actually played munchkin.

I haven't but I'm going to look it up at some point.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak