Han Solo Movie

Started by mirth, June 22, 2017, 11:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

If you look close, Jabb's got a woody. Or a Hutt-On which ever you prefer.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: bbmike on May 27, 2018, 04:36:00 PM
Not surprised considering the last movie they put out. I'll see this one but it might be my last.

First Star Wars since the original release that I haven't seen on opening day/weekend.  In this case more so since I was traveling, but really haven't missed doing it.  I'll still see it probably within the next week or so but very strange that I haven't had the same desire as in the past.  Not sure if it because of this specific movie or whether too much Star Wars now...not sure.  I lean more towards it being this movie itself because I just don't see "solo" in the actor playing him....actually kind of annoys me from the trailers and commercials:)

JasonPratt

Never, not once, did I 'see' him as Han Solo. In my estimate this is the biggest weakness of the film.

I have an unconfirmed theory that in the original shots he tried to act like Harrison Ford playing Solo, and it was so dreadful that this was a big reason for the reshoot, where after being given some acting lessons (that part's definitely true) he was directed (by Ron Howard) in reshoots to just be a nice woobie ingenue supposedly growing into being Han Solo. Which worked relatively better.

Relatively.

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 27, 2018, 10:40:41 PM
If you look close, Jabb's got a woody. Or a Hutt-On which ever you prefer.

Yeah, I'm not looking any close at that.  :buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 27, 2018, 06:22:08 PM
The Kasdans, for whatever reason, received sole (though not solo, har) screenwriting credit on this film, and that helps a lot. They actually retconned that dumb offhand remark from what's now called Ep 4, about making the Kessel Run in 13 parsecs, so that it makes total sense.

Wasn't it 'less than 12 parsecs'?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

It's likely Solo will be a money loser for Disney

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/will-dismal-solo-box-office-cause-disney-rethink-star-wars-strategy-1115233

I'll be seeing it this weekend with my kids and I'm sure I'll enjoy it (likely more than TLJ), but it certainly didn't take The House of Mouse long to drive this franchise into the ground.

I've said it before, the Lucas prequels are looking increasingly better.

Sir Slash

Saw it yesterday with a buddy and we both liked it. Good movie not a great one but it worked OK. Opie-Wan threw in a lot of action and good special effects and the scenes of Han and Chewy's first meet along with the Millienium Falcon's first scene were worth seeing. But it came-up short in the attempts at humor mostly and sadness at the loss of film characters. The actor who played Han did his best and wasn't to far off the mark but was a little too much good-guy for my tastes. Not a bad movie, I'd put it above The Last Jedi, below The Force Awakens,  and about even with Rogue One. One MAJOR plot hole I'll note in the 'Spoilers' thread. I'd give it a 7 outta 10.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 28, 2018, 01:21:45 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on May 27, 2018, 06:22:08 PM
The Kasdans, for whatever reason, received sole (though not solo, har) screenwriting credit on this film, and that helps a lot. They actually retconned that dumb offhand remark from what's now called Ep 4, about making the Kessel Run in 13 parsecs, so that it makes total sense.

Wasn't it 'less than 12 parsecs'?

...actually, yeah. I confirmed that a few minutes ago. That makes the situation weird, because it's like the writers of this film remembered it being 13 parsecs, and THAT'S what they focus on -- and then shortly afterward he's rounding it down to 12 parsecs = "less than 13 parsecs". But not to less than 12 parsecs. Maybe the writers were going for the idea that he keeps making it shorter in talking about it over the years?  :crazy2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

I thought it was ok. 

It had lots of obscure refrences, both to the current animated/comic canon and the old EU.  It makes a lot of the story lost on general film only audiences, and that's a weakness to me. 

I didn't connect with the leads.  I really like Donald Glover, but his Lando came off as a comic parody to me.  Erenriech wasn't the right choice for Han. 

I felt Chewie and Beckett were the best characters in the movie.   Any point when Chewie and Han were working together was awesome.  But no, not a lot of wow moments. I felt, just meh. 

Not a badly made movie, though you can tell where Howard took over from Lord and Miller.  Felt like a film tearing itself from comedy to serious to comedy. 

Don't hate it, but don't love it.  Feels like sort of a footnote.  There was better stuff in Clone Wars and Rebels.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Silent Disapproval Robot

I saw it today.  I wasn't planning on going but the weather was crap here today and I had nothing else going on so a friend and I went.  I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.  I agree that the casting was off but I actually didn't mind the guy playing Han too much.  I thought Emilia Clarke was the weakest part, especially in the very beginning when she was supposed to be all innocent and doe-eyed. 

jamus34

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 31, 2018, 07:44:30 PM
I saw it today.  I wasn't planning on going but the weather was crap here today and I had nothing else going on so a friend and I went.  I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.  I agree that the casting was off but I actually didn't mind the guy playing Han too much.  I thought Emilia Clarke was the weakest part, especially in the very beginning when she was supposed to be all innocent and doe-eyed.

You just can't get the mental picture of her in GoT outta your head  ;D
Insert witty comment here.

Sir Slash

I was disappointed. I thought we were going to see what Chewy looked like before he had hair.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 31, 2018, 10:04:26 PM
I was disappointed. I thought we were going to see what Chewy looked like before he had hair.

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Barthheart

MY EYES! MY EYES!  :hide: