Main Menu

The Orville

Started by mirth, May 16, 2017, 11:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Jason Ive come to the conclusion that you could analyze a blow job into half star yelp review.

"a bit of teeth and not enough throat, kind of dry and no ball fondling.  .5 star and not worth the $20."
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Michael Dorosh

Given a choice between a hyper-diverse and politically correct Star Trek with overblown effects and production values, and a competent homage to TOS with likeable characters and realistic dialogue (all that 'toilet humor' is how people actually talk) I'll take the Orville all day long.

I think MacFarlane is relishing the ability to put words into the mouths of characters in situations that the more stiff and formal ST series never could. Asking the guy on the viewscreen to move two feet over to get centred in the frame, or the helmsman and navigator discussing how a dog in the background of the viewscreen spent the entire time "licking his balls." I'm not generally one for this kind of humour, but I think it is much less jarring in this series than some critics and commentators are suggesting. You always kind of wondered what Kirk or Picard et al would do/say in undignified circumstances and here you get to see the characters realistically doing it. It might get a little more jarring if this level of candor remains throughout the season, but they've already established some strong characters and hopefully we'll see some interesting arcs.

JasonPratt

People naturally talk toilet humor, I know -- even I do occasionally. ;) Aside from my threshold for it being lower than most people, however, I don't like it when the writing breaks the scene for it. Or when the writing breaks the scene for non-toilet humor either -- when the captain and first officer are trying to have a proper discussion at the end of the ep (I don't remember everyone's names yet, I have a lot of trouble with that, nothing against the show there), and the guy squeaking the window interrupts them, that's fine. When it continues, then the humor is getting in the way of the scene. (Which of course is the point to that type of humor.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Would I miss anything if I skipped 2 and watched 3?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

Ok, I might try one more time since you guys are gushing over episode 3. But I only have so much eye rolling left in me and Discovery comes on tomorrow night.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

So, the third episode was actually fair. It didn't have nearly as many attempts at humor as the first one. I still feel like this show wants to be serious but a comedy was pitched to the network. The modern day "toilet humor" does not fit this setting. I'm not sure how this show will survive if it continues like this.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

The humorous elements do not really bother me. It's a small part of the show and it isn't toilet humor at all by modern standards (meaning shows like South Park, Family Guy and Archer).

The first three episodes haven't been great, but they've been better than the early episodes of nearly every Trek series. Consider the first three episodes of The Next Generation: "Encounter at Farpoint", "The Naked Now", "Code of Honor". Those are three of the worst episodes in the history of Star Trek. Absolute garbage. It's amazing that TNG survived past its first season.

bbmike

^Eh, looking back the first season of TNG looks bad. At the time, not so much.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Those early episodes were crap back then too. There were only a couple of good episodes in that first season. The rest were meh to terrible.

The first episode of TNG that really impressed me was 'Matter of Honor' in season 2.

bbmike

You're just upset that there was no Horta Ensign on board.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

No need with Wesley Crusher aboard to save the ship every other episode.

bbmike

True, even I would have preferred a Horta.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth