The Operational Art of War IV

Started by jomni, April 12, 2017, 07:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

Quote from: IronX on November 19, 2017, 08:11:22 PM
Anyone know how to get the Marines off their starting position in the Tarawa scenario? I've tried the Matrix forums, but looks like nobody there knows either.

Do the Japanese in that scenario look just like the Marines? I hope they fixed that problem in the Iwo Jima scenario.  #:-)
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

IronX

They look quite different to me. I assume they addressed the issue.

Edit: Image edited to avoid spoiler

Edit 2: While the Japanese and Marines are different in Tarawa, they are pretty much the same in the Iwo Jima scenario:

Here, the Japanese have the yellow lemon-colored identifier.

Moreb

Quote from: IronX on November 20, 2017, 11:32:22 AM
They look quite different to me. I assume they addressed the issue.

Edit: Image edited to avoid spoiler

This may be the game that gets me back into wargaming. I think I'm going to buy  it when I get home
When dongles fly? - mirth

mikeck

Im hoping I get my manual soon. I had no idea how deep and complex this game was. I had always assumed it was simplified so it could be used for different eras. I have no idea what I am doing and would really like to have the manual here while I play. Too hard to reference the ebook on my phone
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on November 21, 2017, 11:47:08 AM
Im hoping I get my manual soon. I had no idea how deep and complex this game was. I had always assumed it was simplified so it could be used for different eras. I have no idea what I am doing and would really like to have the manual here while I play. Too hard to reference the ebook on my phone

I've found the tutorials to be helpful.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Crossroads

Oberst Klink is updating his Tutorial'41 for TOAW4, it comes with some excellent slides as how everything goes together. Check it out at their Mods forum.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

IronX

I found the Iwo Jima scenario to be a good one to get into the game. It's not too long or too large and gives you some time with amphib, naval, air and land units.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 19, 2017, 01:38:47 PM
Quote from: -budd- on November 19, 2017, 01:18:34 PM
Grim,
Thought of one more thing. Do you have mouse software running? Software that monitors the mouse battery levels, and allows you to program your buttons. I've had games where this made my mouse act strange, exiting the software when playing that game fixed it for me. It's never happened to me in a wargame, usually happens in FPS games for me but might be worth a try.

no i have plain old wired mouse, no special software, nor no battery. i also unplugged all devices.
Hey Grim - is your issue sorted yet?
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 21, 2017, 04:31:32 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 19, 2017, 01:38:47 PM
Quote from: -budd- on November 19, 2017, 01:18:34 PM
Grim,
Thought of one more thing. Do you have mouse software running? Software that monitors the mouse battery levels, and allows you to program your buttons. I've had games where this made my mouse act strange, exiting the software when playing that game fixed it for me. It's never happened to me in a wargame, usually happens in FPS games for me but might be worth a try.

no i have plain old wired mouse, no special software, nor no battery. i also unplugged all devices.
Hey Grim - is your issue sorted yet?

Nope and a few others have reported the same thing....not sure what is up, typically don't have issues like this but doesn't seem widespread (at least not a lot of people reporting it).  Lucky me:(

dinsdale

Is anyone playing this? Any impressions, especially on what's different from TOAW 2/3?

JudgeDredd

It's awfully quiet in here. I thought this game would make the community buzz.

That's bad there's no fix for your issue GR...makes me wonder if I should get it - especially given I've already got issues with one of their games.
Alba gu' brath

Bardolph

Waiting for a Steam release. I may wait forever, but I've got plenty of other games to play.

mikeck

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 23, 2017, 01:18:51 PM

That's bad there's no fix for your issue GR...makes me wonder if I should get it - especially given I've already got issues with one of their games.

Well it's not a wide spread issue and every game as one or two people that have issues. If your looking for a reason NOT to buy, then fair enough. But the forums at Matrix and slitherine are very busy and there are many favorable comments. It's TOAW 3 only better. So if you liked that, your golden. I've been playing for 4 days straight and I love it. I had no idea it was so deep and complex. I'm playing a NATOv Warsaw Pact 1988 scenario and love it. Moving troops by helicopters, establishing defensive positions with tactical and artillery support. Air operations, naval operations and even some Nukes when I really start to lose

Truthfully, out side of Issue of backlogging commands a few are having, I honestly haven't seen any reason why someone who enjoys hex based turn based operational wargames wouldn't love this.

Outside of $$$, I don't know why you wouldn't buy
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mirth

Quote from: mikeck on November 23, 2017, 01:39:43 PM

The dozens of other games I own that are waiting to be played ;)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mikeck on November 23, 2017, 01:39:43 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 23, 2017, 01:18:51 PM

Well it's not a wide spread issue and every game as one or two people that have issues. If your looking for a reason NOT to buy, then fair enough. But the forums at Matrix and slitherine are very busy and there are many favorable comments. It's TOAW 3 only better. So if you liked that, your golden. I've been playing for 4 days straight and I love it. I had no idea it was so deep and complex. I'm playing a NATOv Warsaw Pact 1988 scenario and love it. Moving troops by helicopters, establishing defensive positions with tactical and artillery support. Air operations, naval operations and even some Nukes when I really start to lose

Truthfully, out side of Issue of backlogging commands a few are having, I honestly haven't seen any reason why someone who enjoys hex based turn based operational wargames wouldn't love this.

My only point was I'm already experiencing an issue with another Matrix game - how would I feel having a £60 game I can't play.

I might buy it on Steam to see if it works and if it does, get a refund and buy from Matrix (as I would like the manual). Not the best use of the refund option, but it'll help me make my mind up
Alba gu' brath