DnD 5e

Started by BanzaiCat, January 17, 2017, 04:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Bison on January 17, 2017, 08:45:04 PM
Did you pick up your copy of the Players Handbook yet?

I have a big collection of PDFs but went ahead and ordered it off of Amazon tonight along with those dice. Should be here next week sometime. I'm going to be in a training class on the other side of town all week next week and at a hotel in the evenings, so I'm not going to be home when it arrives. :(

I can still read the PDFs, but it's not the same thing.

Bison

I hate pdfs for role playing games.  Having a digital device at the table just annoys me to no end.  Perhaps even more than whispering...

BanzaiCat

Yeah, me too. Honestly I'd much rather sit down with a big thick DnD book and something nice to drink and an hour or more to kill instead of an iPad.

MetalDog

When I got back in to D&D, I dropped a hundy on the PHB and DMG.  Verrrrrrrrry satisfying having that great, thick book to read and reference.  Now all I need is the MM and I am set.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

I didn't know you don't have a Monster Manual.  What are you using for creature stat blocks?  The beginners box?

MetalDog

Yeah.  We are just coming down the home stretch.  Wave Echo Cave awaits!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

Ah ha!  Epic!  I'd look on the DM Guild.  There are a number of free supplements you can download that have monster stat blocks, if you need more.

BanzaiCat

Another rabbit hole I'd like to go down is the Star Wars RPG. Had fun with that back with the original game a long time ago.

And Paranoia. Man, Paranoia with the right group was epic.

Bison

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 17, 2017, 09:08:24 PM
Another rabbit hole I'd like to go down is the Star Wars RPG. Had fun with that back with the original game a long time ago.

And Paranoia. Man, Paranoia with the right group was epic.

And this is how it all begins....

BanzaiCat

Bison

We all say that and the next thing you know you have a folder on your computer full of free or on sale pdfs and a bookshelf full of books.

BanzaiCat

I still have all my old RPG books for Paranoia (including adventures and sourcebooks) and the first edition Star Wars stuff.

I also have Tales From The Floating Vagabond. That was a fun one, too. Didn't get that to the table often enough but it was all comedy gold.

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 17, 2017, 08:26:27 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 17, 2017, 08:23:03 PM
Umm...who makes them?

Outee? Never heard of them but they're 4.5 stars out of five on Amazon for this product.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I5MS7KE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The bad reviews say they're cheap pieces of crap and unbalanced, but the positive ones (majority) say they seem well balanced and are good. We'll see I suppose.

The pics on the store page are displaying the exact same Wiz Dice I picked up awhile back.   

The big ass bag of Wiz Dice I got had those, plus numerous other colors.  But those are definitely pics of the exact same dice as Wiz Dice.  Or they're using the exact same molds/casting. 

The 100-pack I got for $18:

http://www.amazon.com/Wiz-Dice-Random-Polyhedral-Multiple/dp/B009R6J8RY

The numbers weren't all filled in absolutely perfectly.  A few of the digits weren't as thick as others.  But, overall, it was a buttload of dice, in many differently colored full sets, at a bargain price.  The dice pictured in your link are the exact same make.

Jack Nastyface

I have played a couple of d&d 5e games recently (one as a player, and one "assisting" my daughter as the DM).  I like the new rules, though I understand there is some criticism of the classes and abilities, etc.  It is interesting that one of the posts mentions "...good at not killing the players..." as we experienced quite the opposite.  In both games, we had to HEAVILY "adjust" the dice rolls in first combat encounter "goblin arrows", as our party of four adventurers would been whacked after three combat rounds, mostly due to their ability to take a second "hide" action.
Having said all that, I was a bit nostalgic for the encyclopedic lists of weapons and armour and gear from the original AD&D.

Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Bison

What was the party composition?  The rules are really very forgiving in terms of healing available to clerics, short rest use hd to recover hp, long rest recover full hit points, etc...sure dice rolls favoring monster attacks can still wipe out a party, but compared to AD&D/D&D there really isn't a comparison in terms of 1st level character survival.  Long gone are the days of save or die against basically everything.  1st level starts at max hit points + constitution bonus.  No more 1 hp magic users or thieves.