Star Wars role-playing game

Started by acctingman, December 20, 2016, 06:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on December 21, 2016, 04:31:00 PM
I always thought 1st edition of WEG's take on Star Wars was the best in terms of "simple, and fun," but I've fond memories of it so perhaps I'm biased.

+1 It was a solid game.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Dammit Carl!

Best part about WEG's stuff was just how good it was - the two books I loved the most were "Pirates and Privateers," and the "Imperial Sourcebook." The section in the Imperial Sourcebook where it showed a to scale silhouette of the Super Star Destroyer vs everything else (it took multiple pages to show the SSD) stands out in my mind.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on December 21, 2016, 04:00:37 PM
It's a different sort of tension.  Having a bounty placed on a player by a hutt or being accused of being a rebel spy.  Create a few bounty hunters that will strike fear into the players when they try and visit a spaceport or cantina.  The real problem is if you are playing with Star Wars lore purists.  That will curtail creativity faster than anything.

Well.. I mean that you can send bounty hunters, and other such encounters, after players in most RPGs.  Plus have some undead or demonic run-ins, amongst other things. 

The Star Wars universe is more limited in such craziness, beyond the lower key Space Sorcery Force thing.  I appreciate it for what it is, just have to come to terms with far more situations being humanoid-centric in that setting.  I've also been exploring RPG'ing in Middle Earth's low-magic "low fantasy" setting.  But it still has lots of horror elements available, in comparison. 

Guess I'm just saying that Star Wars is a bit of an oddball because it doesn't have what is normally a very common theme in most RPGs.  Doesn't mean it sucks though.

acctingman

I'd rather RP in a Middle-Earth setting than your typical D&D lore setting. A VERY close second in my all time favorite fantasy/sci-fi setting is ME  O0

Nefaro

Quote from: acctingman on December 22, 2016, 11:59:44 AM
I'd rather RP in a Middle-Earth setting than your typical D&D lore setting. A VERY close second in my all time favorite fantasy/sci-fi setting is ME  O0

Custom made for RPG'ing in Middle Earth, and it shows in the mechanics:

http://cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-one-ring/

There was a PDF 'Bundle Of Holding' deal a short time ago.  That sale is gone, though.  S'okay since the hardback is beautiful.  Sometimes I just slowly pet it.   :dreamer:

The system is pretty easy but has it's own uniqueness.  Doesn't require custom dice, although they have some stylized ones if you want to MEarth up your dice look. 

I'll make a separate thread about more details, if you need.  There are numerous reviews out there, most of which praise it (which is what pushed me off the fence to get it on Amazon).

mirth

I came across PDFs of all the WEG stuff. Thinking it would be fun to do with the kids.

Nefaro

The Star Wars Force & Destiny Core book is Half Off at CSI right now.   $30!   :o

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/212424

Along with the Beginner Set and a couple splat books for SW Rebellion rpg.

bbmike

Picked this collection up on Ebay for $150. Lots of reading ahead.  O0

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Decent haul.

Been debating picking up the Wound and Vehicle Critical decks sometime.  Because less time looking up wound effects.  But those things add up pretty quick. Before you know it, you have enough in your shopping cart to equal all new hardbacks.  :o

I've been a little concerned with how the spines on some of the FFG hardbacks will hold up over time.  Their Star Wars series seems to be in the best condition.  But their somewhat older 40k hardbacks don't look so reliable. 

bayonetbrant