GMT's New P500s

Started by Nefaro, November 19, 2016, 07:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

OSC? Reluctant Enemies is a good one to start with. I've been playing it with a buddy (who got me hooked on the system) and we're now playing Tunisia II on Vassal.

I can honestly say that I'm very impressed with the system and wish I had been convinced (by my buddy) to look at it before. Its been around for a good few years and is a very refined system. In particular, I'm impressed by the way the system handles logistics and air power - not complicated at all but it has a lot of depth.

If, like me, you like operational level games, then this system is hard to beat.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bob48

Quote from: Bison on September 13, 2017, 05:08:56 PM
No.  Not at all.  But it looks fantastic and covers an interesting battle and units.  Frankly Bob should be all over it.

I have looked at it, and it scares the daylight out of me..............it looks very interesting and I got as far as getting the rules off GMT's site - but..........too many games...........not enough disposable income!

Also, see my comments re OCS  :)

'Clip those corners'

Bison

The POLAR BEARS come on Bob! 

bob48

'Clip those corners'

Bison

Its one of the few "D-Day" games that is exclusively British units.  I know its not D-Day, but shortly there after but you get my point.

bob48

I do, because I have long lamented the lack of such games. One of the reasons why I would like 'Beyond the Rhine' is that it includes a scenario that covers the Breskens Pocket and clearing the Scheldt. I really find the operations by 21st Army Group to be of great interest.

Book tip - 'The Long Left Flank' by Jeffery Williams follows Canadian 1st Army and is an excellent read.

'Clip those corners'

ComradeP

A new battalion level Bulge game, inspired by several classics, on the P500 list this month: A time for trumpets. It's selling like hotcakes.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

James Sterrett

Not GMT, but regarding the Scheldt Campaign, you are aware of this?

https://hollandspiele.com/products/the-scheldt-campaign

bob48

I am indeed aware. However, as usual, shipping costs usually are prohibitive and, as yet, there are no distributers this side of the pond.

'Clip those corners'

Ubercat

Bob, do you and your buddy play your Vassal OCS games live?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

bob48

Quote from: Ubercat on September 23, 2017, 08:43:53 PM
Bob, do you and your buddy play your Vassal OCS games live?

Yes we do, and use Steam chat whilst doing so.

'Clip those corners'

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MengJiao

Quote from: ComradeP on September 23, 2017, 08:12:38 AM
A new battalion level Bulge game, inspired by several classics, on the P500 list this month: A time for trumpets. It's selling like hotcakes.

A Time for Trumpets...that's the title of a massive Bulge book by a guy who was an infantry captain in the battle.  I'll go look at the game.

MengJiao

Quote from: Bison on September 13, 2017, 05:14:10 PM
The POLAR BEARS come on Bob!

Yep.  The entire West Riding Division and a whole armored Brigade in very good colors.  You're never going to see a British mechanized battalion rolling out with 15 units in any other company-level game.  The rules need some simplifying, though, I think. 

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on October 11, 2017, 08:00:43 PM
Quote from: ComradeP on September 23, 2017, 08:12:38 AM

A Time for Trumpets...that's the title of a massive Bulge book by a guy who was an infantry captain in the battle.  I'll go look at the game.

Not particularly excited about the Bulge at the moment.  But it looks like somebody might want to check on the Latin that tends to surface in the Pendragon thing.  Sure its just a counter-insurgency but wouldn't Adventus Saxon(some plural 2nd declension like -orum) need to be a genitive?  Its the Adventus of the Saxons, not the Saxon Advent. right?