GMT's New P500s

Started by Nefaro, November 19, 2016, 07:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

SONOFAB*TCH.

I order a second-edition "Flying Colors" from Enterprise (where you should all shop) not long ago just because the counters are a little better and I wanted that stupid "In Chains" thing fixed.   I've more recently been on the hunt for an affordable "Ship of the Line".

What do they announce today?: a DELUXE third edition with all the "SotL" stuff plus extra goodies.

In fairness, the P500 price of the 3e is below the current go rate for "SotL" alone, but I a) am going to have to wait FOREVER now, and b)  am going to have a hard time explaining having three copies of the same game, more or less, around the house.

And I suspect the sound you all hear in the distance is the price of "SotL" crashing on the secondary market.  Too funny...
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Nefaro

Quote from: Cyrano on November 20, 2017, 09:41:33 PM

What do they announce today?: a DELUXE third edition with all the "SotL" stuff plus extra goodies.

Aw, man.  I'm fine when it's a game that is fairly old, and has been out of print for awhile. 

However, I've been having this happen to newer titles I've purchased in the last few years.  Some of which I've never even played.  They come out with a revised second edition while the first one is still fresh.

Not talking about simple reprints, of course, but those with rules and/or component changes, quick on the heels of the original, that I would have to re-purchase, at full price, all over again.  Makes me feel like I was  just someone paying to playtest an unfinished game, or funding a higher quality run with my unknowingly early adoption.  :-\

Kushan

This is probably old news by now, and I'm to lazy to go search through the entire thread, but looks like Red Storm: The Air War Over Central Germany, 1987 finally made it! Really looking forward to it.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Nefaro

Quote from: Kushan on November 27, 2017, 01:04:44 AM
This is probably old news by now, and I'm to lazy to go search through the entire thread, but looks like Red Storm: The Air War Over Central Germany, 1987 finally made it! Really looking forward to it.

I think it passed 500 quite awhile back.  Not too long after it hit P500.  :)

GMT just didn't add many new P500s to their manufacturing list, in the past year, after they had made the grade.  They specifically stated they were delaying the addition of them.  One was definitely Red Storm.  It was quite awhile between passing the goal and getting on the 'to do' list.

mirth

GMT is very good at finding new ways to get my money.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

acctingman

Quote from: mirth on November 28, 2017, 10:30:42 AM
Hookers are very good at finding new ways to get my money.

FTFY

Was looking for the right post to do this!! Thanks Mirth!  O0

Kushan

Quote from: Nefaro on November 27, 2017, 10:11:24 PM
Quote from: Kushan on November 27, 2017, 01:04:44 AM

I think it passed 500 quite awhile back.  Not too long after it hit P500.  :)

GMT just didn't add many new P500s to their manufacturing list, in the past year, after they had made the grade.  They specifically stated they were delaying the addition of them.  One was definitely Red Storm.  It was quite awhile between passing the goal and getting on the 'to do' list.

Could have sworn when I checked a few months ago it was still around 100 short of making it.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat

mirth

Quote from: acctingman on November 28, 2017, 12:08:54 PM
Quote from: mirth on November 28, 2017, 10:30:42 AM
Hookers are very good at finding new ways to get my money.

FTFY

Was looking for the right post to do this!! Thanks Mirth!  O0

Well played.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

ComradeP

There's a thin line between complicated and convoluted, and I don't mind complicated rules but do mind convoluted rules.

I'm currently reading through the At any cost: Metz 1870 rules, a game which I've pre-ordered. They're not exactly intuitive thus far. They're clear but very flexible, presumably because the game aims at recreating battlefield uncertainty. I really like the ideas showcased in the various articles on Inside GMT, but wonder how long it will take before you can play a battle without looking at the rule book every minute.

From the looks of it, the C in PAC stands for Compendium here.

A single player aid card isn't nearly going to be enough to cover this.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

bob48

I'm looking to get AAC as well, and I have the rules downloaded. What helps me is that I have the game that the system is derived from; 'Position Magnifique' (formerly Duel of Eagles).
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Bison

Personally, I never really feel comfortable with game rules until I can put pieces on the board.  At that point, I can muddle through the rules and actually learn the game.  I looked at both the playbook and rules for AAC and I was surprised at the lack of illustrations for gameplay examples.

ComradeP

So, a Finnish civil war COIN game and more COIN reprints as well as some mounted maps. The first new batch of P500 additions will still be delayed until next year.

After the card issue for Colonial Twilight due to a bad print run, now it seems an entire map is missing from the Wing Leader: Blitz boxes that had been shipped before GMT noticed it. That's not great.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Nefaro

Quote from: ComradeP on December 19, 2017, 02:19:51 AM
So, a Finnish civil war COIN game and more COIN reprints as well as some mounted maps. The first new batch of P500 additions will still be delayed until next year.

After the card issue for Colonial Twilight due to a bad print run, now it seems an entire map is missing from the Wing Leader: Blitz boxes that had been shipped before GMT noticed it. That's not great.

I had been signed up for the WL:Blitz P500, but cancelled a month or two ago, planning on waiting to see how it turned out.   Made the right call.

ComradeP

At the moment, I don't have any doubts about the quality of the actual game. It seems a few new interesting features will be added, and it's good that the series will continue to be expanded so it offers more variation. GMT's presumably feeling the Christmas crush which leads to a few things being done with slightly less focus than they should be.

Kushan

Decided to get in on the 3rd edition of Flying Colors and while I was at it I got Wing Leader 2nd edition as well. I didn't want to but it was like it was calling my name...

Now off to get Pendragon set up on the dining room table.

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat