Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016

Started by AchillesLastStand, October 27, 2016, 08:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hofstadter

Quote from: Ian C on February 23, 2017, 04:42:52 AM
From that video: https://youtu.be/p-qyC9DvMJ0?t=148 - 'Oh, also some weird stuff happening...false positives ..opening internet browser' etc.

I think I'll pass on this one.

Just to clarify, I was talking about the antivirus avast (may have been speaking too fast) and it had some weird glitch thing where normal files showed up as being a virus, its all over the avast forums. Nothing to do with the game itself

It delayed the release of that video for ages because I was too busy spazzing the hell out about it thinking my computer was on the verge of death. Decided to mention it just in case a viewer had it too.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ian C on February 23, 2017, 04:42:52 AM
From that video: https://youtu.be/p-qyC9DvMJ0?t=148 - 'Oh, also some weird stuff happening...false positives ..opening internet browser' etc.

I think I'll pass on this one.

I have not experienced any of those issues. it really shouldn't be the deciding factor to avoid this interesting title.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Freyland

Disagree. Given the developers Russian background and the overtly politically influenced nature of the title, coupled with Russia cyber activity of late, I think it's a great reason to pass on the title. To each his own, of course.

Destraex

This is single player only which immediately takes it off my radar unfortunately.
However the politic bias has peaked my interest, I remember when Combat Mission Black Sea came out it was a little controversial.
But since it was a pure wargame nobody really blinked. But this full blown over the top political drama is propaganda on a whole new level.
Because it is not subtle it would be easy to ignore. It would be an experience just to see how far this goes. I wonder if steam knows.
There are a lot of complaints on the steam forum for it by people wanting it banned.

It seems to have health bars unlike the description and seems to be the GEM2 engine from men of war 2?

I like the city scrapes especially. They look just like a lot of footage I have seen. Tanks in streets...

Could it really be used to radicalise the young ruffians who are inclined that way, especially in Russia. Or even change the minds of English speaking peoples?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

glen55

Quote from: Freyland on February 23, 2017, 11:18:20 AM
Disagree. Given the developers Russian background and the overtly politically influenced nature of the title, coupled with Russia cyber activity of late, I think it's a great reason to pass on the title. To each his own, of course.

Interesting point. I would normally tend to ignore and just "play through" the political bias of the developer, but this is food for thought. I don't wanta be a Trojan horse for further Russian cyber-infiltration.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on February 23, 2017, 06:08:39 PM
This is single player only which immediately takes it off my radar unfortunately.
However the politic bias has peaked my interest, I remember when Combat Mission Black Sea came out it was a little controversial.
But since it was a pure wargame nobody really blinked. But this full blown over the top political drama is propaganda on a whole new level.
Because it is not subtle it would be easy to ignore. It would be an experience just to see how far this goes. I wonder if steam knows.
There are a lot of complaints on the steam forum for it by people wanting it banned.

It seems to have health bars unlike the description and seems to be the GEM2 engine from men of war 2?

I like the city scrapes especially. They look just like a lot of footage I have seen. Tanks in streets...

Could it really be used to radicalise the young ruffians who are inclined that way, especially in Russia. Or even change the minds of English speaking peoples?

You're right. infantry do have health bars, but vehicles do not.

What makes you think it's the gem2 engine? It looks and feels different.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

-budd-

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

trek

As of today the game has been pulled from Steam. Not due to content but supposedly copyright infringement.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

The developer could be in trouble: he tried to get permission to use Game Factory Interactive's "Warfare" series (2 games set in Iraq and Tajikistan), didn't get the permission (or even an answer), basically used the engine and title (which together does not help an appeal to the generic title otherwise) with a lot of upgrades. Trying to buy the rights to use the engine, and failing to get a response, does not grant rights to use the engine.  ::)

The proper resolution would be profit sharing of course -- since the game is getting good gameplay reviews plus controversy marketing, so I gather it's selling well. But I expect GFI will be in the driver seat there and if they want the game shut down, well, that would be heartbreaking but that's how technical property rights work.

Note: I own Warfare and its sequel Warfare Reloaded myself through Gamersgate although I've never played either of them yet. Too many shiny things...!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 01, 2017, 06:00:34 PM
The developer could be in trouble: he tried to get permission to use Game Factory Interactive's "Warfare" series (2 games set in Iraq and Tajikistan), didn't get the permission (or even an answer), basically used the engine and title (which together does not help an appeal to the generic title otherwise) with a lot of upgrades. Trying to buy the rights to use the engine, and failing to get a response, does not grant rights to use the engine.  ::)

The proper resolution would be profit sharing of course -- since the game is getting good gameplay reviews plus controversy marketing, so I gather it's selling well. But I expect GFI will be in the driver seat there and if they want the game shut down, well, that would be heartbreaking but that's how technical property rights work.

Note: I own Warfare and its sequel Warfare Reloaded myself through Gamersgate although I've never played either of them yet. Too many shiny things...!

Where did you get this information? The developer has claimed to be involved in the Warfare series and have people on the team who developed the Warfare engine.

I have both games and reviewed them favorably back in the day.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

Ever since the takedown, the Steam thread announcing it has had a lot of Russian commentary (to prevent people from mining quotes easily for web troll attacks). Someone put one of the longer posts from the dev through translation software, and came back with the dev's explanation that he had tried to buy permission to use the engine and never received a reply. I'm at the wrong computer to find a link atm, but I'll see if the post is still there.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 02, 2017, 11:57:34 AM
Ever since the takedown, the Steam thread announcing it has had a lot of Russian commentary (to prevent people from mining quotes easily for web troll attacks). Someone put one of the longer posts from the dev through translation software, and came back with the dev's explanation that he had tried to buy permission to use the engine and never received a reply. I'm at the wrong computer to find a link atm, but I'll see if the post is still there.

Interesting...the plot thickens. I really hope they sort this out because I'd like to see the game and series expanded. Especially with a skirmish mode. It really looks to me like some idiot with a beef over the content made good on his threats to hurt the game and have it removed, most likely by filing a false copyright infringement claim.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

Also hoping that's the case.  O0

Jarhead0331

First DLC has been announced. Release scheduled for end of summer 2017. Looks like a new campaign with a bunch of new weapons and units. Finally, some Russian forces are going to be in the OOB. Still no word on a skirmish mode or mission editor, which is what I'm really hoping for...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/635030/Syrian_Warfare_Return_to_Palmyra/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog