Main Menu

Xenonauts 2

Started by Pinetree, October 24, 2016, 06:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinetree

There's a public build out to try for free. Ground combat only using the new 3D engine. I'll be having a look at this when I get home tonight. You'll need to install GOG Galaxy though.

Announcement Thread
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

DennisS

Quote from: Pinetree on October 24, 2016, 06:05:21 PM
There's a public build out to try for free. Ground combat only using the new 3D engine. I'll be having a look at this when I get home tonight. You'll need to install GOG Galaxy though.

Announcement Thread

The original Xenonauts is an excellent game..one I like as much, or more than X-Com. There...I said it. I have played ALL the X-Com games, all the way back to 1991.

MIGMaster

I like the inclusion of Russian armour!

steve58

Just an FYI.  You can get a free peek at Xenonauts 2.  The devs are releasing development builds of Xenonauts 2 for free.

When X-COM cast off its hyphen and complexity to become XCOM, Xenonauts was handily here with old-school alien-busting. Now you can see how its sequel is shaping up, as developers Goldhawk Interactive are releasing development builds of Xenonauts 2 [official site] for free. You can play one single mission right now, then Goldhawk plan to expand this pre-alpha demo fortnightly. They'll start charging money once the game's in good enough shape but paying with feedback is peachy-dory for now.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/24/xenonauts-2-download-free-dev-build/#more-431581
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Pinetree

Arise thread! There's currently a Kickstarter for this underway, got a few days to go and has met it's target:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/69341191/xenonauts-2-strategic-planetary-defence-simulator/
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Tiamak

I've backed the Kickstarter.  I think I own Xenonauts somewhere in my library of games never played.  But did play the original X-Com games when I was little nipper.

HoodedHorseJoe

Yeah I own the first Xenonauts and played it for all of five minutes. Ended up backing the second game anyway because 1/ hardcore XCOM would have to try really hard to disappoint and 2/ A game for £18 with Early Access seems like a good deal. I can also probably cover it for work.

Still, I've reinstalled X1 to try and give it a better look at, so that I don't look so silly.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Greybriar

There is a Xenonauts 2 Demo available from GOG.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

airboy

I did not care for the first Xenonauts.  Think I'll wait until I see the reviews of the finished game.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

FarAway Sooner

I loved the original Xenonauts.  The novella that set the game up was awesome for atmosphere, and the game captured the same kind of vibe as the original X-Com.

The mid/end-game gets a little grindy, and I'll admit that I abandoned it about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through.  But that was still easily 60+ hours of riveting game play!

Grim.Reaper

Seems like release are coming fast and furious over the summer:)  This releases into early access on July 18th.  Attached one preview that seemed to question on how different than prior versions and still some things to complete.

Store
https://store.steampowered.com/app/538030/Xenonauts_2/

Preview
https://www.pcgamer.com/xenonauts-2-is-a-comprehensive-but-overly-safe-tribute-to-classic-x-com/

jamus34

Man all these games I'm interested in and currently in no financial position to purchase.
Insert witty comment here.

W8taminute

Quote from: jamus34 on July 15, 2023, 09:34:27 AMMan all these games I'm interested in and currently in no financial position to purchase.

Same here.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

FarAway Sooner

Yeah.  Having good games to purchase is one of those "necessary but not sufficient" criteria for gaming satisfaction.  For me, the scarce commodity right now is playing time.

I am intrigued by this title, but do question how much better they'll get than the original.