Old School Tactical Vol 2 up on Kickstarter

Started by Barthheart, July 27, 2016, 12:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nht

One thing I wonder -- the FAQ says that scenarios will cover "all of Europe." Does this include the Italian front? Because that would be pretty cool.

I'm usually more of a fan of the Eastern Front, but somehow I'm looking forward to Volume 2 even more than I was for Volume 1, which I've been enjoying immensely. I have to say, I like the box art more this time, too.

I do wonder a bit, however, about the decision to do the KS for this one so soon after the first one hit the beaches, as it were. A lot of people still haven't gotten their hands on Volume 1 yet (I got mine fairly soon after the first KS started shipping, and have still barely scratched the surface) and so might be a bit hesitant to back Vol. 2.

Anyways, I was pretty pleased with the way the first KS was handled, and the final product was worth the wait. And even though I wasn't an "maximum backer" or whatever, I liked the way Mark Walker resolved the issues that arose over who was entitled to which games/expansions down the line.

So this one was a pretty easy choice to back :)

Jamm

Yes, when I saw that on the FAQ I thought all of Europe is a BIG place. :o
Volume 2 will concentrate on US forces in Western Europe. France, Belgium and into Germany.
I think Italian campaign will be a standalone game down the road.  The same goes for Market Garden.

Mark wanting to push up Volume 2 as the next game in the Flying Pig lineup was a surprise for me as well, but a really nice surprise :).
I guess when your lead off hitter starts the game with a double, you bring up another big hitter to drive in the run.

Thanks for your support and I'm glad you're enjoying the game.
There is some really cool stuff in Volume 2 coming your way.
When the going gets weird
the weird turn pro

Richie61

Shayne,

The Armor Leaders for OST look sweet! How are you and Mark going to bring these to OST1 with Russian & German period leaders?

Ed
aka Richie61
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

nht

Quote from: Jamm on August 01, 2016, 09:17:59 AM
Yes, when I saw that on the FAQ I thought all of Europe is a BIG place. :o
Volume 2 will concentrate on US forces in Western Europe. France, Belgium and into Germany.
I think Italian campaign will be a standalone game down the road.  The same goes for Market Garden.

Mark wanting to push up Volume 2 as the next game in the Flying Pig lineup was a surprise for me as well, but a really nice surprise :).
I guess when your lead off hitter starts the game with a double, you bring up another big hitter to drive in the run.

Thanks for your support and I'm glad you're enjoying the game.
There is some really cool stuff in Volume 2 coming your way.

Thanks for the clarification. I've been doing a No Retreat: The Italian Front campaign AAR over at The Game Box, so I'm kind of in the mood for... well, the Italian Front :) Cool to know that it's got a future as a standalone game. Even without Italy, though, Vol. 2 is already looking really good.

Cyrano

Oh, no, no, no...

You ridiculous bastards aren't going to have cool stuff at Origins 2017 and I don't.

Bullsh*t.

In!

Jim
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Arctic Blast

How does OST compare to earlier Lock n'  Load stuff or Conflict of Heroes?

I'm trying to pretend that I won't just dive in and buy this...humor me!  >:D

Barthheart

Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 01, 2016, 11:45:20 PM
How does OST compare to earlier Lock n'  Load stuff or Conflict of Heroes?

I'm trying to pretend that I won't just dive in and buy this...humor me!  >:D

Closer to LnL than CoH in my opinion. Impulse system closer than command points. Leaders and other single man counters.
Remember this isn't designed by Mark Walker on  published by his company. Shayne Logan, Jamm here, is the designer.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on August 01, 2016, 11:50:38 PM
Remember this isn't designed by Mark Walker on  published by his company. Shayne Logan, Jamm here, is the designer.

It's published by Mark's new company (Flying Pig) rather than his former company (LNLP), but Barth's right, it's not a Mark Walker design
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Richie61

Another great review of OST  :D

A Review of Old School Tactical - By Scott Bogen on 08/01/2016

https://theboardgameshow.com/2016/08/01/a-review-of-old-school-tactical/
Ed
aka Richie61

Richie61

Ed
aka Richie61

Jamm

Yes first is unlocked.  We've wanted to add the double sided modulars to the system, and with the playmats add a smaller footprint option. :)
When the going gets weird
the weird turn pro

Richie61

Stretch Goal #6: Pocket Battles 48K! - Unlocked  :D

QuoteFirst Pocket Battle, an 11" x 17" two-sided geomorphic  map, printed on 80lb paper (the high-quality stuff you get in games like Combat Commander by GMT) and a pair of scenarios to go with it. One side of the game map will depict summer terrain in the European countryside, the flip side will depict the same area in the winter.
Ed
aka Richie61

Richie61

Ed
aka Richie61

Richie61

Stretch Goal #7: Pocket Battle #2. Unlocked!!!!  O0

QuoteYet another map, actually two maps (summer and winter) and the scenarios to play on it. This map features a European village. With this map, you can refight the battles at Foy or any other small town in France or Germany.
Ed
aka Richie61

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys