Star Trek series coming in 2017

Started by steve58, November 02, 2015, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Thanks for the info about Gary Seven bbMike. That really clears up something I've always wondered about.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

It's easy to forget that a 2-year series has TONS of books that cover minor characters/one-off characters from TOS. Enough to fill another 30 seasons at least.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Really enjoyed the most recent episode. Felt the most Trek-like of any so far. Rainn Wilson as Harry Mudd is a treat. Helped that there were no Klingons or Sarek in this ep.

Seemed a little weird that the Discovery was back on routine patrol after last episode. And the idea that Lorca would bother rescuing a "space whale" in the middle of a war was a stretch too. Minor quibbles though.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

SirAndrewD

Yeah, I liked that one fine.  More like this. 

I really want the Andorian space suit. 

Missed opportunity at the end for "HARCOURT! HARCOURT FENTON MUDD!" 

Given the likely identity of Lt. Tyler, I find his interactions with Burnham kind of horrifying, potentially depressingly sad.  We'll see how it goes. 

But, yeah.  Fun episode.  Closest to the feel of TOS that we've had in a while, even closer than a lot of TNG managed.  Wilson hits it out of the park as Mudd and it's one of the few things they've really gotten right.  And yes, the episode was massively improved by the lack of Klingons. 

I think I enjoyed it as well or better than most episodes of Enterprise or Voyager.  Way better than Season 1 of TNG.  Massively inferior to its TNG sister episode Cause and Effect however. 

Absolutely a move in the right direction for the show.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

Yeah, the Burnham/Tyler relationship is interesting. I really don't see things going well for Burnham in the long run. Not just with Tyler, but in general.

The Andorian spacesuit was pretty good.

SirAndrewD

Tonight, on Star Trek...

KLINGON BEWBS!!!!!
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sir Slash

:D  How many do they have? And how do they sharpen their nipples into spikes?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 13, 2017, 11:33:09 AM
:D  How many do they have? And how do they sharpen their nipples into spikes?

Actually, you're very very sadly not far off on the nipple thing. 

Lets just say that in Star Trek Discovery, the ridges on a Klingon aren't confined to the head. 

Discovery last night surely boldly went where no Star Trek show has gone before.

Sir Slash

OUCH! How can you not see something like that after seeing it? They should give a warning at the start. A scene in the Netflix series, "Marco Polo" has about a dozen naked women standing waiting for one to be chosen for the Khan as," Royal Concubine". And without sounding too judgemental of me, not a decent pair in the whole lot. I don't know if it's a cultural thing, statement on them being slaves, or maybe nobody with any real curves showed-up for extras, but cheese, I felt sorry for the Khan.  :idiot2:

SirAndrewD

What's worse was that the scene in question was a rape scene (though there's a lot of story weirdness caught up in that).  Pretty much resembled something out of an H.R. Gieger painting.

Yeah, hard to unsee, but I guess it wasn't gratuitous in the context of the story.

All in all I actually liked the last two episodes of Discovery that took us to the midseason break.  They were game changers and hit a button that MIGHT make the TOS diehards happy when the show returns in January. 

It also has a really cool battle scene and Lorca has cemented himself very firmly in the mantle of Star Trek DGAF Captains like Kirk and Sisko.   Even almost literally had a scene where Lorca put on Sunglasses and told the Klingons to "Deal with it" before going all Stannis the Mannis on them.

So yeah, solid end to the first half.  Not going to spoil, but where we go in January is anyone's guess and it might become a very different show in more ways than just story.

Sir Slash

Spiked Klingon nipples is pretty bold all right. No wonder the males are so vicious.

JudgeDredd

Liked it - and started to "feel" a bit more trekky towards the end. The last two episodes were well done. Loved them and as said - Mud was excellent.
Alba gu' brath

mirth

I'm not sure where they're going with Lorca, but the dude is a bad, bad man.

Anyway, this show is much better than I expected. Looking forward to the second half of the season.

JasonPratt

Mike and Rich from Red Letter Media (who less famously but just as thoroughly as their Star Wars Prequel critiques, ran a series on the Trek films long ago), drive themselves insane with a post-mortem on Orville's first season and the Discovery mid-season break.

Worth it even for just their theory about where they hope the show has the balls to go in the second half. Skip to 36:40 for the theory. Rich (kind of in awe): "That is... that is the only idea that might salvage the Discovery as a show for me!"
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!