Total War: Warhammer

Started by Rayfer, July 17, 2015, 10:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Preparing to do some serious Warhammer 1+2 campaigning soon.

Found some primers to watch on various little details.  TWW battles are certainly a bit different than the older historical TWs, so studying some tactics was in order.

Some good tips in this guy's playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btNqQZhLpNA&list=PLfHby7DEo3iGMygiQSNE5rD2zSPriuS54&index=1

O0

An example:

Nefaro

The Tomb Kings have the potential to be my favorite TWW faction.  If their different campaign mechanics don't hamstring them too much compared to others.

Sir Slash

The real strength of this game is the way the variety of playstyles of different factions. I hope they don't cerate an unbeatable faction by accident. These guys look really tough, glad to hear there's some weaknesses in their game.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

I made the weird but trigger-happy mistake of buying this faction pre-release, even though I have no intention of playing them -- because I forgot that in TotalWH games you don't need to buy the faction for it to be available on the map. You can always play against it. Purchasing just allows you to play it.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Anyone here play as the Dark Elves? Fine looking faction...sexy even!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on January 17, 2018, 09:48:12 PM
Anyone here play as the Dark Elves? Fine looking faction...sexy even!

I loaded up a Mortal Empires Delf campaign a couple days ago, but didn't do anything with it.  Just checked out their specific campaign mechanics, then changed my mind after seeing how unusual it is. 

Think I'll start the big campaign with a more traditional economy first.  Having to constantly capture slaves in battle, and occasionally sacrifice some for bonuses, isn't an issue.  However, the extra Public Order penalties for having more of them, along with your lesser generals siphoning off your leader's XP so they can drop in loyalty later on, isn't something I want to deal with just yet.

Gusington

Heh 'delf.' I have decided to play as Norsca when I finally begin an Old World campaign, probably in a few weeks. But checking out the Delfs last night, I quickly became enamored with their tech, their campaign oddities, even their cities.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I can't decide if I'm in love with this game or it's just a 'Winter Thing'. I've only gotten as far as Warhammer 1 without most of the DLC and it's clearly a lot different than any other TW I've played. It's very polished with new and exciting factions and ways to play and win. The AI is very good this time and the world itself is more interesting than the historical TW's. Who doesn't get excited by playing with Giants, Zombies, Dragons and Minotaurs?

But somehow the uniqueness comes with a whole lot of extra stuff to learn and know, not just the Warhammer lore, which I don't know zip about but all the 'shielded' vs armored vs Giant vs Fear vs Flying vs on and on and on. This might be the first TW that's too complex for me to play and I hate that because for so long I've DREAMED of a TW that had more depth and challenge. I feel like to go to Warhammer 2, I'll have to take a couple of PhD courses to play effectively. Still on the fence but... it's a lovely fence and the view is great from up here. My 2 cents.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

Would it be inappropriate if we asked Sir Slash to get a hold of me, too?   ;D

I have the exact same struggles with TW: WH1.  I love the units and my commanders, I love the lore and the factions, but even after 45 hours of playing and another 4 or 5 hours spent following YouTube videos, I'm still getting crushed all the time.  After following the step-by-step tutorials.

I can get one Army going, and even a 2nd one somewhere.  But when I have 3 or 4 borders to defend, and attacking armies move faster than mine, I simply have no idea what to do.   :timeout: 

Like Sir Slash, the lack of documentation and the complexity of factors leaves me foundering.  If I dismiss the dearly obtained Mortars from my army, will I be able to move faster next turn and maybe catch the enemy raiders who go blitzing past me to loot my interior?  I'll never know, because the interface doesn't tell me and assumes I've mastered that piece of mechanics/arcana from the last 6 TW games which I didn't play (I gave up after the original TW: Rome, which was fun but got grindy).

Did I mention I'm playing on a pretty basic skill level?   :hide:

About the only piece of the game i get is province development, which is simple but elegant.  Otherwise, it feels like I'm learning by trial and error, but I need to replicate each experiment about 5 times (each time taking an hour or two of game play) to make sure I'm learning the right lessons--this game just isn't accessible.  It really pisses me off, because it's a gorgeous game with deep, rich game play that a lot of folks on here love, but the mechanics are just too opaque to me.

Okay, that was a therapeutic rant session.  I'll return you to your standard programming now!

Gusington

Get hold of yourself!!

Be patient with me as I still haven't fired up my copy yet, but isn't there an in-game encyclopedia or tutorial or something similar?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

With what faction are you defending 4 borders at a time? And against who

And as much as we all have a nostalgic tear for any TW game - in any TW game if you're defending 4 borders from 4 enemies - you're doing it wrong or you're at least going to get your ass kicked whether you're a dwarf, Japanese or a feudal knight

Gusington

^There's an in game encyclopedia for the Warhammer games, isn't there?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Yes but it's kind of basic. I played as the Dwarves first and they weren't too hard but the factions are so different that what works for the Dwarves doesn't work for The Empire or the Vamps or whatever. I should have started with the tutorials but didn't see them until I went to the Encyclopedia I think. The Economy is very different for each faction and Trade is hard to understand what you are actually trading and producing, no Trade Routes so it's hard to plan where to expand to increase it so I just make Trade Deals with anybody that'll say 'yes' and forget about it. Public Order is called by different names for each faction and plays different for each faction. The Dwarves were always mad about something, not surprising they are Dwarves after all, but I didn't know Public Order actually goes up for them the more of your neighbors you're at war with.  :o  I guess it's supposed to reflect their natural combativeness. But my Advisor was late telling me this so I almost bankrupted my faction trying to control it with no taxes. It's very different from other TW's and you gotta go slow and dig deep to find all the details. Not a knock against the game but it's a very different animal and not one I'm sure I can ultimately tame.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd