Main Menu

The Strain

Started by mirth, July 12, 2015, 12:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

And yet, in one episode the show has surpassed the novels. Weird.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on September 13, 2015, 10:35:39 PM
It's amazing that this show can be stupidly lame and watchable at the same time.

This describes it well.

:2funny:

For awhile, I thought I was just being a masochist.  But there are some aspects that make me keep watching.  Like the whole show is a war between two aspects.  One championing my interest in the general story, the other my annoyance with some of the characters.

mirth

It's an odd combination. I've been ready to give up on it a few times, but it's been just good enough to keep me watching.

Last night was a particularly strong episode. I like how they've departed from the novels. It's kept the show fresh and interesting. Palmer is a far more interesting character on the show than he was in the books, imho.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

TacticalWargames

Couldn't agree with you more. I know the acting is rubbish, the effects are sub standard and the plot plain silly but I still watch it!

Quote from: mirth on September 13, 2015, 10:35:39 PM
It's amazing that this show can be stupidly lame and watchable at the same time.

mirth

This show is increasingly thin ice with me. The last couple episodes have been real duds. If the season finale doesn't deliver in a big way, I'm done with it.

mirth

That wasn't a great season finale. And killing one of the major characters, who actually was one of the few survivors all the way through the novels, was just dumb, imho. I doubt I'll pick this up again next season. Way to uneven in writing, acting.

mirth

Centurion40

Quote from: mirth on October 11, 2015, 11:17:25 AM
This does a good job of capturing my thoughts on The Strain

http://io9.com/on-the-stunning-season-finale-of-the-strain-an-old-dud-1734777945

Oh that was good.  If FX runs an ad promising that the kid will die in season 3, it MIGHT have a chance.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Nefaro

Quote from: Centurion40 on October 14, 2015, 10:26:15 AM
  If FX runs an ad promising that the kid will die in season 3, it MIGHT have a chance.

This x1000.

mirth

Quote from: Nefaro on October 14, 2015, 11:38:57 AM
Quote from: Centurion40 on October 14, 2015, 10:26:15 AM
  If FX runs an ad promising that the kid will die in season 3, it MIGHT have a chance.

This x1000.

That could get me to watch again.

Centurion40

You know, I have a good PR idea for FX.

Mom turns the shit heel-kid into a vampire.  Then FX runs a contest where a lucky viewer gets to bash his head in with an aluminium baseball bat in the season 3 finale.

Why aluminium?  That lovely "tink" sound when the aluminium hits bone.

Yep, I'd pay money to enter that contest.  >:D

mirth

Centurion40

Thank you.  I have my moments.

mirth

And they could call it "Give Zach a Whack"

Centurion40

Quote from: mirth on October 14, 2015, 12:38:43 PM
And they could call it "Give Zach a Whack"

And now we have a complete package to pitch!  O0