Main Menu

Darkest Dungeon

Started by Nefaro, February 02, 2015, 09:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Walked all over the first boss, the Apprentice Necromancer, yesterday.   :)

*small spoiler: boss pop-up stats shown*

Mid Fight

Victory

Tpek

The Necromancer ones are rather easy.
It's the Swine Prince that gave me a run for my money.
Haven't tried the Wizened Hag and her following bosses though.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on February 07, 2015, 11:06:25 AM
The Necromancer ones are rather easy.
It's the Swine Prince that gave me a run for my money.
Haven't tried the Wizened Hag and her following bosses though.

I'm gonna try the Swine Prince soon.   I have at least one, maybe two characters at Level 3 right now but my biggest concern is continuing to upgrade abilities and equipment.  For at least two parties and a third backup.

The character management part of the game kinda reminds me of the roster management in sports text sims.  Maybe that's why I'm so addicted to this.  Always enjoyed drafting/hiring players within a budget, allocating them to the proper places on the team, and watching them grow in ability.  Similar in a general sense.   :)

Tpek

^Just note that once a character reaches a certain level (when their name changes color from white to green for an example),
they will no longer be willing to participate in lower level missions.
This is one of the reasons you need to constantly hire new guys.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on February 07, 2015, 12:12:32 PM
^Just note that once a character reaches a certain level (when their name changes color from white to green for an example),
they will no longer be willing to participate in lower level missions.
This is one of the reasons you need to constantly hire new guys.

It was suggested that you keep at least three teams (12 characters) of differing range, as the sweet spot.  Because the more you run a specific dungeon location, the higher it's mission level offerings eventually become.

Tpek

Thing is that sometimes you have to let your characters "chill off" for an adventure or two in the Sanitarium/Tavern/Abbey to reduce their stress or cure their ailments (strange how a Sanitarium can cure "Known Cheat" :P ).

Con

OK I am struggling with this one (I like it though but its not intuitive for me at all).  Can anyone help me with any of the following questions

1. If you purchase items for a dungeon run do all the unused items in your inventory disappear after the run?  (I have never made it to the end I have always had to retreat in failure)
2. How do you use items in your inventory like the Holy Water.  I dont see anywhere to equip it on a hero
3. Where do you get wood for camping (I have only tried small dungeons)

Any tips??

Thanks
Con

Tpek

1. Yes.
2. During a battle you can use items in your inventory.
3. You get a predefined number of "Woods" depending on the length of the dungeon.
Short gives none, medium 1 and long 2.

Nefaro

2) Inventory items like Holy Water, Keys, etc, can be dragged from your inventory to the appropriate container.  They go in that middle slot with the darkened shovel symbol.

Note that each item will only work in specific types of containers you are searching.  They can help improve your chances & the loot results for things such as using a key on a locked chest or grant you other special effects like the possibility of removing a bad quirk (on selected character) by using holy water on a cursed confessional.  They can still be random, however, so you don't always get the best results even when using an item that way.  Instead it may grant a buff or something.

I sometimes take a holy water with me if I have plenty money and a character with a bad quirk I wanna be rid of.  It usually doesn't pan out that way but it may be worth a shot at saving some sanitarium cost.

I generally take at least one shovel, for short & medium delves, and at least two for long ones.  If you don't have a shovel and need to remove a barricade, doing so by hand will burn up a lot of daylight and stress for all your characters.  In the case of using a shovel on a barricade, you only have to click the darkened shovel symbol in the center - not drag and drop.  Dunno why that's different.  On the Long and perhaps Medium length dungeons, it could pay to bring a key too since there is a higher chance of a room with a locked chest. 

I consider food, torches, and shovel(s) to be essential for a low stress approach.  The rest is just a shot at extra loot or effects, if you can find a matching container.

The bandages and that green potion is primarily for rt-clicking to remove bleeds and such although I think there may be a container type that they can also be used on.

glen55

"Brutally difficult" is not typically a phrase I look for when considering a game purchase, but it sounds like there are some pretty intriguing "roster management" issues that separate this one out from the other brutally difficult roguelikes.  I might have to take the plunge.

Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

GDS_Starfury

:-\

I was expecting photos of Mirth's basement.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 11, 2015, 06:42:03 PM
:-\

I was expecting photos of Mirth's basement.

Have you not been there yourself?

kassdhal

I ve been giving this game a fair (17h of play...) shot over the week... I'm really mixed... it is both amazing and terrible. First they designed a very clever game with a lot o ideas but at the same time it s so random that for a very long time i felt I was playing candy crush saga and that my skill did not have any importance in the game.

There is a lot of potential and a lot of ideas there so need to watch it develop but as of today I 'll stop play as it is just way too random

Rayfer

Quote from: glen55 on February 11, 2015, 06:38:13 PM
"Brutally difficult" is not typically a phrase I look for when considering a game purchase, but it sounds like there are some pretty intriguing "roster management" issues that separate this one out from the other brutally difficult roguelikes.  I might have to take the plunge.

LOL..when I see the phrase 'brutally difficult' it is a red flag that tells me to go no further.

Nefaro

I take it you guys don't like the Roguelike style of highly randomized and very difficult?  :-\