Predestination Update

Started by RedArgo, November 03, 2014, 08:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedArgo

New update on the space 4x game Predestination.  They are aiming for early access late this month.  So, based on other recent space games they may release in early December, but I hope not.

Both this and M.O.R.E. look promising, hopefully one of them can pull it off.

Martok

Your link just goes to Gmail.  Try this one instead: 

http://predestinationgame.com/2014/11/03/development-update-october-2014-research-overhaul-bombing-survey-ships-and-more/

I've played around with the alpha (beta? the terms are starting to become blurred with Early Access) a little bit.  To me, it still feels more like some cool mechanics/systems put together than a true game yet, but it does show promise.  Between Predestination, Stardrive II, and MORE, I'm hoping we finally see another decent space 4x title next year (although I suspect MORE is a long shot for that). 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

RedArgo

Oops, thanks for fixing that link Martok, its too early.  :)

Hopefully, they can get all those pieces to work together.  Without playing the game, it seems like the planet management in Predestination may be too much micromanagement for a space empire game, but we'll see.

Martok

You're welcome.  I know the feeling.  :) 

Quote from: RedArgo on November 03, 2014, 09:34:09 AM
Without playing the game, it seems like the planet management in Predestination may be too much micromanagement for a space empire game, but we'll see.
Well colonies and surveying/settling planets is kind of the game's big "schtick" so to speak, -- the feature that will (hopefully) set it apart from other space strategy games.  I can handle a little more micromanagement, as long as it's kept reasonably interesting, and I do like the system they have in place overall. 

That being said, the devs have also been working to reduce said micromanagement, including the "blueprints" concept (which is something they've included from the beginning). 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

RedArgo

Predestination alpha released this week.  It is feature incomplete at this point, but I played for 20 minutes or so and didn't have any crashes or problems.  A lot of the screens aren't there yet, but the overall framework of the UI seems to be pretty easy to navigate.  I never made it off my planet, so I don't know how the space part of the game is yet.  Hopefully, I'll get some more time to look at it this weekend.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nyphur/predestination-a-turn-based-space-4x-strategy-game/posts

Jarhead0331

Quote from: RedArgo on January 28, 2015, 10:11:26 AM
Predestination alpha released this week.  It is feature incomplete at this point, but I played for 20 minutes or so and didn't have any crashes or problems.  A lot of the screens aren't there yet, but the overall framework of the UI seems to be pretty easy to navigate.  I never made it off my planet, so I don't know how the space part of the game is yet.  Hopefully, I'll get some more time to look at it this weekend.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nyphur/predestination-a-turn-based-space-4x-strategy-game/posts

Please keep us posted on your thoughts as the game develops. I'm interested, but its still just a little too early access for me to jump on board.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Rayfer

Quite the kickstarter trailer. If the game delivers on what the trailer promises, this could be an outstanding turn based 4X game.

RedArgo

So I played for a few hours this weekend, and I think the structure of a good game is here, but it is way too early to tell how it will turn out.  There is no diplomacy or ship design and many of the techs aren't hooked up yet, although there are a lot of techs to go through.  I like the UI, although there are a few places where weird things happen when trying to drag across the map.

There is a tutorial that does a good job of explaining things, but at some point it quit working.  I think I may have missed an objective that makes the next tutorial screen appear.  But, most things seemed pretty easy to figure out once you have the basics.

I was able to get through the pre-space era, which is kind of like a mini civilization game were you can build cities and connect them to resources.  Once in space, I built some ships and set out exploring eventually encountering another race.  I was looking forward to trying some tactical combat, but at that point I started getting repeated crashes, so I never got to engage their ships.

I am still concerned about the focus on planetary development on a game of this scale.  Even with the city blueprints I feel it could end up being a chore once you have a sizable empire unless there is more automation planned for this level, which may well be, or I may have just missed it.

This is definitely an alpha, so unless you enjoy the journey or just want to support the devs, I'd steer clear for a while.  I'll think I'll shelve it for a while and see what it looks like in a month or two.

Martok

Quote from: RedArgo on February 02, 2015, 08:31:08 AM
I am still concerned about the focus on planetary development on a game of this scale.  Even with the city blueprints I feel it could end up being a chore once you have a sizable empire unless there is more automation planned for this level, which may well be, or I may have just missed it.
I do believe the devs are planning to add more automation abilities, including the option to let the AI take over running your colonies.  They've said they have the AI developing cities/planets almost as well as human players, so this should be a viable option. 

Quote from: RedArgo on February 02, 2015, 08:31:08 AM
This is definitely an alpha, so unless you enjoy the journey or just want to support the devs, I'd steer clear for a while.  I'll think I'll shelve it for a while and see what it looks like in a month or two.
Agreed.  The game seems generally promising for the state it's in right now, but it's still very rough at the moment. 

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

bbmike

I have hopes for this one but it sounds like it's moving along very, very slow. Maybe that's good?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Martok

As long as it's not released prematurely, yes. 

RedArgo

Been a while, but a new update appeared today...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nyphur/predestination-a-turn-based-space-4x-strategy-game/posts/1209926?ref=backer_project_update

I haven't played in while, but maybe after this patch next Tuesday, I'll fire it up again.

Martok

It does seem like the feedback has been mostly positive in the Steam forums so far, which has to be fairly rare.  Gives me reason for hope. 

Martok

Another update, focusing on trade routes and a revised UI: 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nyphur/predestination-a-turn-based-space-4x-strategy-game/posts/1250862

Not very "sexy" stuff perhaps, but I still like the direction they're going so far.