Intel Dump - Rumors and glimpses of stuff coming up

Started by bayonetbrant, October 13, 2014, 10:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on July 07, 2017, 12:24:56 AM
The old Fleet series from VG were some of my favorite wargames back in the day.  (2nd Fleet  :smitten:  )

So the great moistening began when I saw this upcoming one, at Compass Games, with a similar theme but wider scope.

Blue Water Navy

QuoteBlue Water Navy covers the war at sea, air, close-ashore and low-earth orbit from the Kola Peninsula in Northern Russia to the Mediterranean Sea and West over the Atlantic Ocean to the United States and Cuba. The game models the full order of battle that could be expected in 1980's wartime, from multi-regiment Soviet Tu-22 Backfire bombers to multiple US carrier groups.

The game is card driven, with each card providing points to move units or trigger special events such as 'KGB Assassinations' and 'Space Shuttle'. There is also a reaction mechanic where most cards can be used in the other player's turn to perform a spoiling event such as 'Raid Aborts' and 'Friendly Fire'.

https://www.compassgames.com/preorders/blue-water-navy.html

Gonna have to keep an eye on that one.

I would love to see this. However, I've heard (of their sale game from Cyrano) that their rules are terrible (for their sale game). I really, really need clear, informative, unambiguous rules with good, clear examples when I'm looking at a game.

But - I will definitely want to see this on the market
Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: Nefaro on July 07, 2017, 12:24:56 AM
The old Fleet series from VG were some of my favorite wargames back in the day.  (2nd Fleet  :smitten:  )

So the great moistening began when I saw this upcoming one, at Compass Games, with a similar theme but wider scope.

Blue Water Navy

QuoteBlue Water Navy covers the war at sea, air, close-ashore and low-earth orbit from the Kola Peninsula in Northern Russia to the Mediterranean Sea and West over the Atlantic Ocean to the United States and Cuba. The game models the full order of battle that could be expected in 1980's wartime, from multi-regiment Soviet Tu-22 Backfire bombers to multiple US carrier groups.

The game is card driven, with each card providing points to move units or trigger special events such as 'KGB Assassinations' and 'Space Shuttle'. There is also a reaction mechanic where most cards can be used in the other player's turn to perform a spoiling event such as 'Raid Aborts' and 'Friendly Fire'.

https://www.compassgames.com/preorders/blue-water-navy.html

Gonna have to keep an eye on that one.

Wow! Looks awesome!!!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 07, 2017, 04:22:59 AM
I would love to see this. However, I've heard (of their sale game from Cyrano) that their rules are terrible (for their sale game). I really, really need clear, informative, unambiguous rules with good, clear examples when I'm looking at a game.

Don't be completely put off by what Cyrano had to say with the Age of Sail game. Though I completely believe what he had to say about the rules issues with that game, in my experience Compass usually does pretty good with QA of the rules. I don't own a ton of Compass games (I'm buying more from them these days since I own pretty much every GMT game I want) but my general impression is favorable. They did a nice job with Breaking the Chains - https://www.compassgames.com/out-of-print/breaking-the-chain.html
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

ArizonaTank

Quote from: mirth on July 13, 2017, 02:41:05 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 07, 2017, 04:22:59 AM

Don't be completely put off by what Cyrano had to say with the Age of Sail game. Though I completely believe what he had to say about the rules issues with that game, in my experience Compass usually does pretty good with QA of the rules. I don't own a ton of Compass games (I'm buying more from them these days since I own pretty much every GMT game I want) but my general impression is favorable. They did a nice job with Breaking the Chains - https://www.compassgames.com/out-of-print/breaking-the-chain.html

+1 

I read the comments from Cyrano and was wondering if we were talking about the same game.  I have many Compass titles, and my experience with them has ranged from good to excellent.  I will admit that sometimes you will see a problem with the rules, but these are hardly "sucking chest wounds." 

I think you can find issues with the rules of almost any game company...including those from the 80s. 

For example, I am starting to play Time of Crisis, by GMT.  The rules don't explain some very fundamental concepts about card flow and hand management.  But IMHO that does not suddenly make Time of Crisis a lesser product, nor do I think it reflects poor play testing.  To me, it just means that I have to do what I usually do, get on BGG and ask questions. 

If you have any questions about the quality of the Compass game rules for Sovereign of the Seas...the rules can be downloaded.  The link is:
http://www.compassgames.com/downloads/SOTS_Rules_Final_R.pdf

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Staggerwing

Well, we know the game is probably set before 1999...

The 'F-18A' with camo adds a twist. An alternate reality where Northrup won the LWF competition?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Thankfully, the thin intel means I don't have to worry about it.

bayonetbrant

ComradeP

I'm not sure if I'd like the positioning of the country flag, it feels a bit off.

The mixture of NATO counters with equipment counters could also be momentarily confusing, even if only air units show equipment type.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

bayonetbrant

Barthheart

bbmike

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 19, 2017, 05:00:31 AM

Interesting counter design. Is it really necessary to have the numbers in the lower right corner that large though? Seems like wasted space.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak