Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on November 25, 2017, 12:42:31 AM
After talking to Jarhead off-line, I'm going to pick this up when I get cash (divorce has a way of making your money disappear but a cop will go through 2-3 of 'me) my question is a general one. I'm sure this is MMO but is there a solo mode or some method of playing in a univers where groups of 16 year old kids don't hide behind a space station blasting newbies in their brand new ships. My game time is my quiet time and I'm not usually in the mood to have to talk to real people

I do not believe there is a solo mode in the persistent universe, unfortunately. There is, however, a single player mode in arena Commander, which lets you fight waves of enemy ships, or even just free flight around a few small zones.  I use this to test my control configuration before going into the PU. It's going to be important to have friends in this game. I have a few multi crew vessels and it will be very useful to have it manned with other players.

If you play this game, please post your name here so we can add each other to contact lists.

Also, remember Sauadron 42 is also being developed which is a single player campaign experience in the vein of the Wing Commander series.

Sorry about the divorce, mikeck. Hope she's not beating you up too bad.

EDIT: Apparently there is a way to load the PU in offline mode, but I am not sure if this will work with alpha 3.0.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6r7oek/star_citizen_offline_mode_263/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Dumb question....when I fire up the game, I don't see the 3.0 alpha.....is it not widely available or do you have to have a special account?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 25, 2017, 11:22:14 AM
Dumb question....when I fire up the game, I don't see the 3.0 alpha.....is it not widely available or do you have to have a special account?

It is only available to first wave testers. That includes subscribers (people who have a monthly subscription) or to members of the concierge (players who have spent more than $1000). You can get a one month subscription for $10 and get instant access to the latest alpha build, I believe.

As the servers are tested and become more stable, they will gradually increase waves of testers by sending out more invites. If you did receive an email inviting you to the ptu, you have to log into your account on the website, copy your account to ptu, and download the new delta patcher.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 25, 2017, 11:24:18 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 25, 2017, 11:22:14 AM

It is only available to first wave testers. That includes subscribers (people who have a monthly subscription) or to members of the concierge (players who have spent more than $1000). You can get a one month subscription for $10 and get instant access to the latest alpha build, I believe.

Gotcha, thanks much for the info...I'll probably hold off for now, I'll let others test the bugs and then maybe I'll get the subscription later:)  I am interested to see how things turn out....

Jarhead0331

I'll be honest. It's beautiful, but rough. Definitely buggy. They've also made some flight changes that I dont understand...for instance, all navigation is done from your mobiglass. That would be like piloting a 747 and only being able to navigate on your smartphone. Why you would be in a starship with no built-in navigation system or starmap, is peculiar.  I think the system is temporary, but it's cumbersome, as is. It was good in 2.6.3.

Still, I left port Ossilar and travelled to the moon Yela.   Breathtaking.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

I assume screenshots are weapons free for 3.0 PTU?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on November 26, 2017, 02:08:57 AM
I assume screenshots are weapons free for 3.0 PTU?

Yes. There is no NDA that I'm aware of. Additionally, I thought I read something somewhere that said screenshots and videos are encouraged.

As amazing as 3.0 is in so many ways, I'm really surprised by how rough it is and how many issues there are with it. It had so much extra development time from it's initial development cycle that I expected it to be much more polished. I anticipate this will be baking in PTU for quite some time before it gets sent to the live servers.

I had hoped that 3.0, even in the PTU, would be an instant recommend to those sitting on the fence, or even to the total non-believers and naysayers. Unfortunately, for all but the extremely interested, curious, or patient, I would still say hold off on jumping into 3.0. The stable live version, 2.6.3, is still totally worth admission in my opinion though.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Well then I shall upload some so people here can see what the average joe's PC shots look like.

Destraex

Random AI characters now inhabit the space station you initially spawn in. They are fairly detailed but do not talk currently.
The shop keepers however do talk. By telling you to look around etc. I was getting between 9 and 30FPS in this, my first real play of 3.0.
I had a huge amount of trouble initially with the 3.0PTU servers because they were having trouble with the AU ones. Half the time I would get errors attempting to load in.
But once in I stayed in fairly robustly except in my very first attempt... which I could not get to any ships in because of delay. One air lock simply would not open.

Destraex

Once out on the landing pad I boarded the ship I had ordered and walking around inside until I reached the pilot's seat. Holding down the F key gave me cursor interaction to click on it and have it spin round and sit me down, spinning me back around to man the controls. Very neat animation. To my surprise a lot of the cockpit seemed to be interactive. I had to power the ship up and then switch the engine on. The whole console coming to life.

Mouse powering on the ship. Note no displays are on.

The consoles coming to life

Ready to roll!

More interactive cockpit. Holding down F allows mouse look and click.

F12 brings up my space suits interface. It is a holographic view that gets projected off your wrist. Like looking at a watch.

And I am outa here. You plot a course now through a planetary map that can be scrolled in and out before jumping. After pointing your ship in that direction.

Ok back at port. The game crashed after alt tabbing. So taking another ship. The last one was a Vanguard. Heavy space fighter. In which the minigun caused exhaust fumes and the lasers so much lighting it reflected everywhere with the shadows making me almost blind (night blindness)...ok I exaggerate. But it caused me to go to the forums and ask if their is an epilepsy filter even though I do not have that condition.

This time I chose an Andromeda. The funky big multi man ship. The multi role falcon style ship. Very atmospheric.

The seat highlights when you get near it and press F before moving the mouse over it. Click!

Flew to a planet in the solar system... the extra solar system planets were all obstructed by our sun! Gonna try to land.

Here is how it looked in the plotting room view.

Lower now. It happens fairly fast. At least on this small rock.

Lower. Oh look some new information on the HUD. Max safe speed... hmmm oops!

Landed it with a thud that bounced the ship up. Frame rate still low and took me a while to get here down. That thud should have killed and destroyed everything including me and ship.
The forward elevator not working. So I used the cargo bay shown here out the back. It lowered thank goodness.

Well that explains a lot!

On the ground I got my side arm out. To see what it was like. noticed a hold breath advice dialogue on screen. Nice.

Pete Dero

Chris Roberts and Sandi Gardiner host today's episode focused on Consolidated Outland. It features updates on the Pioneer and Mustang as well as information about how UEE Land Claim Licenses will work.

Pledging for these claim licenses now allows us to include deeper features in the Star Citizen game, and is not required for starting the game.

VG247 notes that these parcels are priced like full games, ranging from $50 to $100.
In January 2017, players had tossed $141 million at Star Citizen, and as of press time, the figure now stands at $168,445,322.

https://www.vg247.com/2017/11/29/star-citizen-players-can-now-pre-purchase-a-land-claim-for-50-100-or-just-wait-and-spend-uec/

How much longer can they go on like this ?

Jarhead0331

I knew the land claim system would be very controversial and it has, in fact, ignited a lot of anger and controversy over in the official forums. Personally, I don't see it as any more offensive than charging $750 for a ship that isn't even out of concept yet. If you don't want to pay the money, don't. Wait until the game is released, or the economic system is fleshed out and buy with in-game currency. However, I see both sides of the argument. Many people perceive it as a "pay to win" scheme. In other words, if someone who merely buys a land claim with money can go and claim the most lucrative or valuable land with rich mineral resources, then it is putting non-paying players at a distinct disadvantage. On the other hand, these land claims are only applicable to land within UEE territory, which alone, will consist of multiple star systems. It doesn't include the rest of the galaxy that will be ripe for the taking.

FWIW, I'm absolutely loving 3.0, as buggy as it is. This game is going to be exceptional.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Spoken by a true believer!  :notworthy:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Destraex

FFS The game is only in Alpha and Crytek want to sue for some really stupid contractual stipulations like wanting more because Star Citizen split the game in two, wanting their logo in the alpha like it was originally when the game actually used Cryengine and wanting star citizen to exclusively use Cryengine, I think the game switched to Amazon's Lumberyard engine and some time ago at that. If they had an agreement to use Cryengine exclusively this could be a problem. Certainly making Crytek look like sore losers. Also taking potential damages to claim some of our crowd funding.
Why would Roberts agree to this and why would he not comply with the terms. Not surprised it's in US courts. Hopefully the court just says that he only needed to comply while he was using Cryengine for the game.

Perhaps all crytek games need to be boycotted in a getup campaign to get them to cease?
I hate companies that lawyer up when their kit does not deliver, which it obviously did not for star citizen.
Sure they might be right technically. But they got their money up front and it did not work out. Simple.
I wonder if the star citizen community will boycot cryengin games.

OK Hyperventilation over.... Pretty upset about this right now. My dreams may be crushed.

Jarhead0331

Why would your dreams be crushed? It's just another lawsuit. While I haven't reviewed the pleadings or the potential merit, I highly doubt it will impact the future of star citizen.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog