Main Menu

Netflix versus Hulu

Started by Bison, January 10, 2014, 09:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Talk to me Goose!  Which is better and why?  What's the difference between the two?

I'm thinking of dropping cable and just going with internet and maybe subscribing to one of these two for the occasional movie and shows.  Also if anyone knows which offers the most kid friendly programming?  Is there another service I should look into besides these two?

bayonetbrant

My father-in-law got mother-in-law a NetFlix streaming sub for Christmas, and we've been taking advantage of it at our place, too.  Works like a charm on our TV (we've got a "smart" TV w/ an ethernet jack and built in NetFlix app).  So far have watched first 3 seasons of Walking Dead, and a bunch of kids' movies for our 3-year-old
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

I have both Netflix and Hulu Plus, as well as Amazon Prime. No single service does it all and having all three is still cheaper than cable. Hulu has commercials but lots of great TV shows (often only the last 5 or 10 most recent episodes), Netflix has a lot of (relatively) older good movies and all complete seasons of things like Star Trek DS9, and Amazon Prime often has the first few seasons of things like 'Justified' and 'Grimm' for free but the latest season for $1.99 an episode, as well as selected late-run movies free, others still in the Theaters for $9.99-$14.99, and free second day shipping on all your amazon (and select affiliates) book/dvd/cd/otherstuff shipments.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

Well what I'd like to be able to do is stream from the iPad to the TV, which I think is going to require an apple tv thingy.  Although I think my bluray player has Netflix on it, but not sure if it's Wi-Fi enabled.  Sad I know, but I know nothing about this stuff.

Staggerwing

iPad to TV requires an AppleTV device ($99). AFA wifi, does your Bluray player need an adapter or does it have one built in? Check the specs or google the model number to find an owners' manual PDF.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 10, 2014, 10:49:53 PM
Wii can do Netflix.

Yes it can. Just the thing for the kid-friendly Netflix version.

The PS3 can do Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and a few others. Redbox has a new app as well.

Bison

Well I just checked the bluray player it needs a wire to connect to the internet which is an issue because the wire goes to the gaming rig downstairs so I might have to plug the ps3 to the family tv for the wifi or I might have to look into an apple tv box. 

Staggerwing

PS3 should have built in wifi if it's fairly new.

Bison

The key here is we want to cut the cable cord, because frankly it's too damned expensive for the amount we watch in time and number of channels.  Something with some good kids programing and the occasional movie/show for the wife and I.

Yeah the PS3 does, but I think the wife wants to be able to use the ipad.

Steelgrave

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. Between the two I am usually able to find whatever I want. I do have to pay for my very favorite programs, such as Sons, Justified and The Walking Dead, but a season worth of favorite shows at $1.79 per episode versus cable is a money saver. Besides the occasional first run movie, there are perhaps a dozen shows I pay for in a year, everything else I wait until it's free on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Oh, and I have a portable tv antenna I bought at Best Buy for $79 three years ago. With it I can pick up another dozen channels or so and catch my NFL and news.

Bison

Cool.  I think I'll just go with Netflix.  Now just need to figure out how I want to stream it to the tv.  What's the device limit on Netflix?

Steelgrave

They are in the process of changing their plans in order to let you select how many streaming devices you want. I think I have two or three. Mainly they are doing this to give the single folks a couple of dollars discount for a single stream.

I cut the cable almost four years ago and I'm doing fine without it  8)

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Steelgrave on January 10, 2014, 11:05:23 PM

a buddy said the same thing when his son turned 18.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Steelgrave

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 10, 2014, 11:08:15 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on January 10, 2014, 11:05:23 PM

a buddy said the same thing when his son turned 18.

Heh, that cable has been cut a lot longer than four years  ;D