Nothing to do on Turn 1

3.2 Formation Didn't Activate
Nothing at present

4.0 Formation Impulse
4.1 Housekeeping
Remove Ops Complete and Out of Command markers...none

4.2 Command
Check command of the units activated - 62nd Motor Rifle
All elements of the 62nd Motor Rifle are within command range of the HQ in hex AO23 (with a command range of 4)

4.3 Rally
All units are in command an not disrupted

4.4 Operations
Infantry and BTR-70 in AP22 (they are stacked together so can move together) close for assault with the M48 in hex AQ22
Because the infantry are attacking ALL AFV's, their Assault to Hit number is reduced by 1. So instead of requiring a 4 for a hit, they require a 3 to hit.

The Infantry and BTR-70 can roll 4 die altogether (Assault Factor) and rolls are 2,2,1 for the infantry and 1 for the BTR-70. As the infantry required a 3 or more (4 To Hit value and -1 for infantry attacking all AFVs) and the BTR-70 required a 5 or more, they score NO hits. The BTR-70 required a 5 or higher to hit and missed. (any hits would not be applied unit the defending unit performed it's attack rolls)
The German M48's open up and have an Assault Factor of 2 and therefore roll 2 die. They need to roll a To Hit value of 4 or more to score a hit and rolls of 4,4 mean two hits.
[]I]NB[/I]
I didn't know until this was written AND the photos were taken that a BTR-70 could not use it's HE FP on an AFV - so the above is slightly incorrect in that I wouldn't have moved the BTR-70 into the hex in the first place and secondly, it wouldn't have been able to roll for attack and wouldn't have taken a Disrupted hit.

Damage is now applied and the M48 remains safe. As the M48 scored two hits, each of the Soviet units receive one hit and therefore both units are marked as Disrupted. As the defender received less hits than the attacking force, the attackers are forced to move back to the hex they entered from (AP22).

I think the M48 platoon were very lucky there!

Next to make a move is the Infantry and BTR-70 in AO23. They are in a Shattered Forest hex and there is a Shattered Forest hex (AO22) between them and their target (M48 platoon) in hex AO21 - but the hex the attacker is in does not count to LOS and one Shattered Forest hex does not equate to blocking terrain...though two would.

There's also an HQ unit present and therefore the HQ's Leadership Value (of 2) is added to the Firepower value of one of the units it is stacked with. In this case, as the BTR-70 cannot attack a hard target, the value is assigned to the infantry, allowing the Infantry to roll 4 die instead of 2.

So the infantry perform a ranged attack on the M48 platoon in hex AO21. Rolls of 5,3,3 and 1 from the infantry means a hit of 1 on the M48 platoon.

The M48 platoon roll 3 die (Armour Value) 3 and require a roll of 6 to negate the hit (a big ask I think). Rolls of 5,4 and 2 mean the M48 platoon in hex AO21 is hit. It's marked as Disrupted. As a hit was suffered, 1d6 roll has to take effect for the HQ unit. On a roll of 1 the HQ would be reduced. The roll is 4 and so the HQ is unaffected with the combat.

To complete the Soviet's 62nd Motor Rifle impulse, the Infantry and BTR-70 in hex AO25 move forward two hexes to hex AO23

This is the situation after the 62nd Motor Rifle's impulse in the South East of the map.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I know my counters need clipping btw. I was looking at a clipping tool, but couldn't find it in the UK :-(

I'll just have to use the Stanley knife as I have done in the past.
Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 05, 2014, 06:54:45 AM
Sounds like a "W@W for Dummies" guide would be helpful for some of us, myself especially.

Funny enough, Cap'n Darwin is the official W@W rules czar, so the guy that would own that task is right here
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 05, 2014, 07:41:40 AM
I know my counters need clipping btw. I was looking at a clipping tool, but couldn't find it in the UK :-(

I'll just have to use the Stanley knife as I have done in the past.

I have only ever clipped one game in my life, but I used a pair of fingernail clippers to do it
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Turn 1 - Impulse 2
3.0 Outline of Play
3.1 Operations Phase
The counter pulled from the cup is the 2/182nd Panzer Grenadiers

3.2 Marker Removal Phase
Nothing to do on Turn 1

Nothing at present

4.0 Formation Impulse
4.1 Housekeeping
Remove Ops Complete and Out of Command markers...none

4.2 Command
Check command of the units activated -  2/182nd Panzer Grenadiers
All elements of the 2/182nd Panzer Grenadiers are within command range of the HQ in hex AF11 (with a command range of 5)

4.3 Rally
All units are in command and not disrupted

4.4 Operations
Infantry and Marder in hex AG13 moves to the forest east of the lake. The infantry halt at hex AJ14 and the Marder moves to AJ15

The next platoon of Marders and Infantry move from hex AI11 to AL11 where the infantry stop and AK12 where the Marders stop.

The HQ and PzMsr in hex AF12 move out. The HQ moves to hex AJ14 to support the Infantry there and the PzMsr Mortar unit moves to hex AG13. This means it can use direct fire if any Soviet units come into view

The third Infantry unit and Marder have to move now. They are in AG8. The trouble is, the Marders and Infantry don't have the range. They are going to have to get close to the exit point to be of any use at all. Anyway, the infantry move to hex AJ8 and the Marder move to the woods in AK9

This is the disposition of 2/182nd Panzer Grenadiers

And this is the battlefield after the second impulse of Turn 1

Unfortunately the West Germans seem to be very much on the backfoot with this scenario. It's a weird one anyway, requiring you as a solo player wanting to exit as many full strength units from both sides...which does make it very hard to be impartial.

The Soviets, having most equipment, would win if both sides just went for the exit...so I guess it forces the West German player to try and engage the Soviets.

Given the dispositions of the West German player, they are in a predicament. The woods to the north west of the Soviet exit hex are too far away for infantry or Marders to engage as are the woods to the east of the lake. But engage they must. This likely means they will have to cross open country and try and get to the woods north of Bendorf. This is especially true if the Soviets take the route through Bendorf.

The units to the east of the lake may be able to engage if the Soviets move up the road through Haln.
Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

very nice photography to go with the AAR.

Bison

JD reminds me I really need to get to home depot and look at a piece of plexiglass.

JudgeDredd

Turn 1 - Impulse 3
3.0 Outline of Play
3.1 Operations Phase
The counter pulled from the cup is the 1/613rd Panzers

3.2 Marker Removal Phase
Nothing to do on Turn 1

Nothing at present

4.0 Formation Impulse
4.1 Housekeeping
Remove Ops Complete and Out of Command markers.
I remove the Ops Complete marker from the M48 platoon in hex AQ22

4.2 Command
Check command of the units activated -  1/613rd Panzer. All units are in command (Command Range of 5 for the HQ)

4.3 Rally
M48 unit in hex AO21 is Disrupted and is checked for morale.

As the unit is in the same hex as it's HQ, the HQ's Leadership rating can be deducted from the die roll.
As the HQ has a Morale value of 6 then a roll of 6 or less would pass the unit. Removing the HQ's Leadership rating from the die roll effectively means a roll of 8 or less will put the platoon in good order. A roll of 6 (effectively 4 with the Leadership rating of 2 removed) sees the unit in good order again.

4.4 Operations
The M48 platoon in hex AK22 opens up on the Soviet BMP-2 unit on the hill in hex AK23. It can do so because it is adjacent to the crest line.

It fires using it's HE rating. So 2 die are rolled and a To Hit value of 5 is required. As this is at close range (Half or less of the normal range of 4) then 1 can be removed from To Hit value of the M48. So 2 die and looking for a value of 4 or less on them. Rolls of 5 and 6 mean 2 hits.

The BMP-2 can roll one die to check for a save and needs to roll a 5 or more. There is no defensive bonus in clear terrain. A roll of 1 means both hits are effective on the BMP-2. It's reduced and marked with a disrupted marker. The M48 is marked as Ops Complete.

The M48 in hex AQ22 opens fire on the BTR-70 and Infantry unit in AQ23, targeting the Infantry as they pose the biggest threat to the M48 - having an AP value.

As they are firing on a soft target, they use their HE value. Also, as they are close range, 1 can be removed from their To Hit requirement...so a To Hit value of 4 or more is required. A roll of 2x1 means no hits are scored and the M48 is marked as Ops Complete.

Next, the M48 platoon with it's HQ in hex AO21 fires on the Soviet infantry in hex AP22. A roll of 6 and 1 means the Infantry unit is hit. The Infantry, having no save value do receive a bonus of 1 die. A roll of 5 or more will result in the hit being negated. However, a roll of two sees the hit enforced.

The Infantry unit was already disrupted, so it now takes a hit and is flipped to it's reduced side.

The M48 is marked as Ops Complete and the impulse ends for the 1/613rd Panzer
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Pics didn't turn out as I'd wanted. Everything about this AAR is disastrous!  >:(

I'm really struggling on all levels with this one.

I am making sense of the rules - but I am continually checking and re-checking and that often means flipping through pages and skim reading until you find the bit that's relevant.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Turn 1 - Impulse 4
3.0 Outline of Play
3.1 Operations Phase
The counter pulled from the cup is an End of Turn marker.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Turn 1 - Impulse 5
3.0 Outline of Play
3.1 Operations Phase
The counter pulled from the cup is the (second) 1/613rd Panzers

3.2 Marker Removal Phase
Nothing to do on Turn 1

Nothing at present

4.0 Formation Impulse
4.1 Housekeeping
Remove Ops Complete and Out of Command markers.
I remove the Ops Complete marker from all 1/613rd Panzer platoons.

4.2 Command
Check command of the units activated -  1/613rd Panzer. All units are in command (Command Range of 5 for the HQ)

4.3 Rally
No units need to be rallied.

4.4 Operations
The M48 platoon in hex AK22 opens up on the Soviet Infantry unit in AO23.
It fires using it's HE rating. So 2 die are rolled and a To Hit value of 5 is required. Rolls of 2 and 1 mean 2 misses and the M48 is marked as Ops Complete.

The M48 in hex AQ22 opens fire on the Infantry unit again in AQ23 using their HE value. Again, as they are close range, 1 can be removed from their To Hit requirement...so a To Hit value of 4 or more is required. Rolls of 2 and 1 (n00b gunner!) means no hits are scored and the M48 is marked as Ops Complete.

The M48 platoon and HQ in hex AO21 fires on the Soviet BTR-70 in hex AP22. A roll of 1 and 1 means the BTR-70 escapes the attack. The M48 is marked as Ops Complete and the impulse ends for the 1/613rd Panzer

Altogether not a very rewarding turn for the 1/613rd.
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 30, 2014, 02:16:07 PM

I am making sense of the rules - but I am continually checking and re-checking and that often means flipping through pages and skim reading until you find the bit that's relevant.

Not sure what you expect when yer learning to play a game. This is what I do even with games I've been playing fer years.  ???

Pics look good to me....

JudgeDredd

Well, it's not so much referring to the rules time and again...eventually they sink in. It's a bit of frustration with my memory so not really holding any info from initially reading the manual and also the fact the rules for specific things are in different areas.

As an example (or my bad memory AND the rules) it took me quite some time to determine whether when I attacked a hex I was attacking ALL units in the hex or whether I had to attack a specific unit...but I think in the end it was found on the addendum by Capn (I think)

But that's the kind of thing I'm going through. I think the Leadership rating was another thing.

It's just a slog. But as I said, the game started to flow OK - I was getting used to what I was doing...but then the latest batch of pics I took have been "snipped" and don't show everything  I wanted to.

This just isn't going as "gentle" as other games I've looked into. Battle of Britain was an absolute breeze and a gem of a game - WITH easy rules.

Maybe my heads just fighting me here - but I don't get that because this era and subject should be right up my street.

I will continue -and stop bitching. I think I'm a bit frustrated I've started this a couple of times already and this time is going slow too. Bad light, dark evenings and flash issues or overhead light issues make it difficult to take decent pics to make any sense...and an AAR without pics is not a very appealing thing imo.
Alba gu' brath