Rising Sun: Red Orchestra stand-alone expansion

Started by FrontierCybrarian, March 26, 2013, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

The game went live yesterday.  I don't know if the betas still work.

Shame that they reset the stats though.  I miss my level 35 LMG.

Trooperc7

no need for beta keys now.... The game has gone live and is officially out.......I think it is a wonderful FPS....better than RO2.. However, it does include a lot of bug fixes for RO2......

Nefaro

My RO2 installation got converted to Rising Storm/RO2.

So is this a freebie for previous owners of RO2 or what?!  :o

Father Ted

As I understand it, if you've bought RS then launching RO2 will give you access to servers hosting both RO2 and RS, otherwise you'll just see RO2 servers (or only be able to connect to those).

Spent a couple of hours with the new game tonight, and basically it's RO2 in different skins.  Talking of which, there was a very high TK count, which would suggest that  players are struggling to differentiate between the uniforms.

Trooperc7

Quote from: Nefaro on May 31, 2013, 07:32:48 PM
My RO2 installation got converted to Rising Storm/RO2.

So is this a freebie for previous owners of RO2 or what?!  :o

TWI has combined the game where if you are playing on a server that is currently playing east front, the next map up could be from Rising Storm... The fact that you didnt buy Rising Storm doesnt mean you will be kicked.... you will be able to play as a rifleman only and wont have access to other weapons...however, you can pick up weapons that are on the ground......For new people if you purchase Rising Storm, you get RO2 full multiplayer for free........

jomni

Ah it went live already.  I thought the beta purchasers are screwed when I saw these are combined.  But I really like the fact that the server I joined in last night rotates both RO2 and RS maps. 

They took out my favorite HMG position in Peleliu. :(  I guess they figured out it can severely unbalance the game in the hands of an experienced player.

Toonces

I've got 25 hours in Rising Storm so far.

This version clicks with me way more than Stalingrad simply because I'm way more into the Pacific theater than the East Front.

Gameplay is awesome on both action and realism servers.  I can't say I prefer one to the other at this point.  It makes a big difference if you have a competent team leader on voice.  I played both ways and while a lot of what you should be doing is intuitive after you play a while, it helps a lot to have someone directing the action.

One of the things that really surprises me, and I'm not sure why this happens, but I find that the Team Lead and to some extent even the Squad Leaders must encourage folks to move forward.  In real life this isn't surprising because, of course, moving forward makes it more likely you'll get killed.  But even in game, with no real stakes, players are reluctant to sprint into lethal gunfire.  Of course, it is necessary to get a momentum going to suppress the enemy enough for the good guys to take the hill, so somebody has to die, but even though it's just a game people are reluctant to be the first over the hill.

I certainly don't want to equate playing a video game to what the real Marines and Japanese went through in WW2, but I do find that the game provides a very interesting insight into small team leadership.  Even in game, most players don't want to throw their virtual lives away, and that makes the experience more authentic in a way.  Or to put it another way, when you're laying there in game in defilade with some dude laying bullets just over your head on the crest... ping ping ping! ... you're laying there like, "shit no way am I getting up and moving!" and, that's just in game world.  You can imagine in real world, just a bit, how those bullets whizzing around you would just unnerve you totally.  I like how, when your buddy gets killed in front of you, you sort of go into this gray mode and can't move or see for a few seconds.

This game does a lot right.  I'm digging Rising Storm more, but it's basically the same game as RO2.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

This is a pretty good video, without any fluff:

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

ComradeP

Although I'm interested in trying a WWII-themed FPS again, I was reluctant to purchase RS when I saw the trailer.

The trailer emphasized basically everything I didn't like about a number of RO maps in terms of how the gameplay tended to work.

-Many close quarter battles.
-Unlockable weapons, or even any kind of real difference in weapon quality, can have a serious effect when response times/the amount of bullets you can fire before the enemy can see you are low, which they tend to be in close quarter battles.
-Less room for individual skill. Running around with medium to high rate of fire weapons tends to make your team win. I'm usually a rifleman, and unless I can kill someone with 1 hit, it's over in close quarter maps. I had that same problem with the early CoD series titles, where my friends tended to pick high rate of fire weapons and often won shootouts as my skill with the rifle was nullified by the sheer weight of fire they could throw at me. That is, of course, perfectly realistic by itself, but maps forcing me to generally fight on the streets without the ability to pick a good position in a building or even a halfway decent prone position are less realistic.
-Teamplay is required for success, which is great except that you nearly always play with a collection of random people with widely variable skill levels (and command of the English language).

I personally enjoy maps where picking a good position and skill with the weapon you're using matter, and for some RO maps that feeling just wasn't there. If the average RS player is the same as the average RO or CoD player, he wants fast paced affairs so if map voting is enabled, I'll presumably face people primarily focussed on high rate of fire weapons, which is a problem for my playstyle.

Maybe the density of undergrowth or obstacles in some maps do allow for careful positioning to take place, in which case I'd guess it can be an entertaining experience, but I do fear that (for me personally) the same problems will appear that plague me whenever I play latest generation FPS games in MP.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on June 02, 2013, 05:31:36 AM
... In real life this isn't surprising because, of course, moving forward makes it more likely you'll get killed.  But even in game, with no real stakes, players are reluctant to sprint into lethal gunfire.  Of course, it is necessary to get a momentum going to suppress the enemy enough for the good guys to take the hill, so somebody has to die, but even though it's just a game people are reluctant to be the first over the hill.

I certainly don't want to equate playing a video game to what the real Marines and Japanese went through in WW2, but I do find that the game provides a very interesting insight into small team leadership.  Even in game, most players don't want to throw their virtual lives away, and that makes the experience more authentic in a way.  Or to put it another way, when you're laying there in game in defilade with some dude laying bullets just over your head on the crest... ping ping ping! ... you're laying there like, "shit no way am I getting up and moving!" and, that's just in game world.  You can imagine in real world, just a bit, how those bullets whizzing around you would just unnerve you totally.  I like how, when your buddy gets killed in front of you, you sort of go into this gray mode and can't move or see for a few seconds.

This is the reason I like RO2, in a nutshell. 

In most other shooters people run around in a solo spray & pray rush, focusing on fast movement (and sometimes even bunny-hopping stuff) to blaze around the battlefield.  RO2 is one of the few games where you can't shoot worth a damn while moving at any decent speed and promotes the use of cover much more.  Therefore the run & gun psycho tactic doesn't last terribly long unless they're pushing as part of a group effort.

jomni

Quote from: ComradeP on June 02, 2013, 07:54:25 AM
Although I'm interested in trying a WWII-themed FPS again, I was reluctant to purchase RS when I saw the trailer.

The trailer emphasized basically everything I didn't like about a number of RO maps in terms of how the gameplay tended to work.

-Many close quarter battles.
Nope, plenty of opportunity to sit back and snipe with your LMG, sniper rifle, or standard bolt action.

Quote-Unlockable weapons, or even any kind of real difference in weapon quality, can have a serious effect when response times/the amount of bullets you can fire before the enemy can see you are low, which they tend to be in close quarter battles.
Weapons are based on historical features.  They are unique but not unbalancing.

Quote-Less room for individual skill. Running around with medium to high rate of fire weapons tends to make your team win. I'm usually a rifleman, and unless I can kill someone with 1 hit, it's over in close quarter maps. I had that same problem with the early CoD series titles, where my friends tended to pick high rate of fire weapons and often won shootouts as my skill with the rifle was nullified by the sheer weight of fire they could throw at me. That is, of course, perfectly realistic by itself, but maps forcing me to generally fight on the streets without the ability to pick a good position in a building or even a halfway decent prone position are less realistic.
Again, there is no close quarters map in Rising Sun (maybe except Hanto map with the thick jungle).  The bolt action rifle is king.  I tend to prefer the Springfield than M1 Grarand.

Quote-Teamplay is required for success, which is great except that you nearly always play with a collection of random people with widely variable skill levels (and command of the English language).
You will be amazed at how people will cooperate in this game.

QuoteI personally enjoy maps where picking a good position and skill with the weapon you're using matter, and for some RO maps that feeling just wasn't there. If the average RS player is the same as the average RO or CoD player, he wants fast paced affairs so if map voting is enabled, I'll presumably face people primarily focussed on high rate of fire weapons, which is a problem for my playstyle.
Soldier class is limited per squad so you won't get too many guys with SMG / LMG.  Most are rifle men.  Americans get the M1 Garand with is higher rate of fire.  That is historical.  But my best weapon is still the trusty Japanese rifle Type 38 or Type 39.  It packs powerful punch and is very accurate. 

Also Banzai is my favorite feature.  Gives you limited and temporary invulnerability and scares the Americans and puts off their aim.  More effective when more players are doing it at the same time.

QuoteMaybe the density of undergrowth or obstacles in some maps do allow for careful positioning to take place, in which case I'd guess it can be an entertaining experience, but I do fear that (for me personally) the same problems will appear that plague me whenever I play latest generation FPS games in MP.
Yes there are many hiding places to snipe once you get to know the map. 

Toonces

CP, I think you'll like Rising Storm.

In almost all of the games I've played, there has been good cooperation.  If you have a Team Lead on voice directing the battle it is very easy to cooperate with your teammates. 

There are differences between the weapons for sure.  The flamethrower is a game-changer, but you have to get very close for it to be useful.  It is counterbalanced by the Japanese banzai charge described above. 

Lots and lots of stuff to hide behind. 

You need to play on a realism server, which most are.  It's very easy to one-shot people in realism mode.

Nefaro

That was certainly my main complaint about RO2 - too many people voting for CQB 'city' maps and not enough populated servers with more open outdoor terrain being played regularly. 

I dunno why a slight majority would so often vote for small cramped COD-like heavy urban maps in RO2.  It just blew my mind.  Maybe all the COD bunnyhoppers just felt confused and out of their element in large outdoor maps?  The times that I did get in those more rural oriented maps, or even the larger more open town & city ones, it was damn awesome.  If Rising Sun has pretty much all outdoors-y maps, then I'll have to pick it up sometime.

jomni

Well RO2 is about Stalingrad.  Stalingrad is a city right? Anyway RS set things right with great outdoors battles.   It only has one urban map,  a 2 dense jungle,  and the rest are island fortresses.

eyebiter