Legendary going Gundam

Started by JasonPratt, July 06, 2018, 07:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

July 5th, 2018, Legendary Pictures (current home of the Toho Monsterverse) confirms what they talked about back in January: they have worked out a deal with Sunrise (and presumably Bandai) to make at least one live-action Gundam film.

This comes as not entirely a surprise, since Legendary dropped a cameo of Anaheim Electronics and the original RX Gundam into a scene of PacRimUprising, and were also responsible for the epic RX vs Mechagodzilla fight in Ready Player One. Apparently fan reaction (and maybe Asian appreciation of PacRim2, which was generally better than in America, although I liked the film well enough) was positive enough for Sunrise to ink the deal after testing the waters.

The announcement referenced the Zeon revolutionary war as a backdrop to the series, which suggests the film will take place in the anime's main continuity, the Universal Century. Whether that will be filling in a niche with a new story; or a previously unadapted story (e.g. Crossbone Gundam, aka PIRATE GUNDAMS), or adapting a prior anime, who knows yet. Presumably they will not be remaking the fan-abandoned "G Savior" live action film!? (We hope?!)

There is, of course, no way for the series to cross over with Toho's Monsterverse (aside from Ready Player One, which doesn't count ;) ), or even PacRim, but that hasn't stopped geeks on the internet talking about it.  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

but is gundam any good and why should I care?

can you explain it in en words?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 08, 2018, 05:54:03 PM
but is gundam any good and why should I care?

can you explain it in en words?

Explain Gundam in "N" words?

OF COURSE!!

{off to write a tome} {back later}
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Just kidding. I'll try a haiku.  >:D

"Real" robot fights, with
war as the true enemy
to be defeated.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Notably, Legendary has just finished acquiring a loan for one billion dollars.