What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Quote from: BC on June 27, 2017, 12:19:53 PM
'Til Tuesday, voices carry.

I thought the boyfriend in that song showed remarkable restraint by waiting so long to tell the whiney girl to shut up.  I would have bought the guy a beer if I had heard about her at a bar. 

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Crossroads

Picking up some classics, reading Company Commander now. I like his writing style very much, no bullsh*t, one day he just appears in France to lead his Coy. Read only the first few chapters, things are sure to pick up soon. First deployment to a quiet Sigfried line outpost, near a place called St Vith.

Nothing should happen near St Vith in winter 1944, I'm told.

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

OJsDad

Reread Red Phoenix for the first in 20+ years while on vacation this last week. 

One thing that dawned on me, both Red Phoenix and Red Storm Rising end the same general way.  Commies come out swinging, but when the US and their Allies get their footing and start kicking butt, there Commies have a change of government that ends the war.  We don't get see the Allies roll the Commies, or we see a little bit of it, but not much. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Crossroads

It's a cool book but true, what is it with those commie governments  :))
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JasonPratt

It's fun to see ModernCommie!Rommel decide to stop screwing around and boot out his asinine leaders.  :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Re Dark Tower: I tried reading the 1st book ages ago, and it was faaaaarrr too whackadoo for me to stick with. And I finished The Talisman which King wrote with Straub. (And which served as a sort of thematic prequel to TDT. Eventually the story was retconned into being a parallel world connected to TDT.)

I'm actually glad to see the start of a big-budget adaptation, and I hope it's put together well and makes enough money to run the distance with quality adaptations; because I'd frankly rather watch it than read it.

Good pick on Salem's Lot, though. I quit reading King around the time he released Dolores Clairborn, and I still regard that as his best work proportionate to his page count.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Too whackadoo for you, Pratt?? Hmm.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

I'm re-reading Hunt for Red October. Buddy gave me a first edition hardback copy the other day.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

jamus34

Quote from: mirth on June 28, 2017, 02:56:57 PM
I'm re-reading Hunt for Red October. Buddy gave me a first edition hardback copy the other day.

Nice...that's one of the only early Clancy novels I do not have.
Insert witty comment here.

mirth

Quote from: jamus34 on June 28, 2017, 07:36:46 PM
Quote from: mirth on June 28, 2017, 02:56:57 PM

Nice...that's one of the only early Clancy novels I do not have.

I owned all the early books in hardback 25 years ago. Then I sold them off and have regretted it ever since. I have a mix of hard/paperbacks now. Really glad to have Hunt for Red October in hardback again. Pretty cool of my buddy, same guy who gave me a hardback 1st edition of Salem's Lot on my birthday.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

I didn't like the book, but the movie was decent enough. I saw it in IMAX back in the day; it was the first movie theater (or one of the first) to show a movie in IMAX in the country, and my best friend's dad had made the lens for the camera, so they had a bunch of free passes for the premier and brought me along. Hunt For Red October was that first movie.

Red Army is pretty good...I might re-read that one. I remember it being a bit of a slog in places, though.

Harold Coyle's series of books are pretty good too, but there's only so many major wars a character can go through before you start wondering why the world isn't an ashen, crispy ruin by the ninth one. I did like Sword Point, though; that one sticks out in my mind for some reason, though it's been 30 or so years since I read it last. The Ten Thousand was the last book of his I read; I think it was a good idea but the entire scenario was implausible to me.

Gusington

Reading One Year After by William Forschten, the 2nd in the series. A little more hokey than the first but not bad at 125 pages in.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

You should try 1945 by Forschten and Gingrich. It was way the hell out there but the whole bit with Skorzeny conducting raids on American soil was interesting.