Main Menu

MOO3 Information

Started by solops, July 07, 2013, 01:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Question: is there a reason I should t colonize every green planet with average fertility as resources i find? I'm wondering because I have about 7 colonies around 4 stars. I met my first civilization and they have only one colony. Now I am playing on "beginner level" I believe but I'm wondering...do they know something I don't?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

solops

I think you should grab the greens. The potential trouble is money and people shortages. Work the migration settings carefully. Your early colonies are going to take a long time to get started when the migration is spread out from just the homeworld. Get multiple colony pods on your colonizers as soon as you get a hull big enough. Consider sending outposts out to potential colony sites to stake a claim. They are cheap. I am playing on hard and got out-expanded. Amazing how much one forgets in just 6 or 7 years :-)
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

OJsDad

I have the disks still and I'm running Win7 64bit.  I installed the game and the offical patch with no problem.  When I start the game, I get the intro video but the game setup screen is screwy.  I see all of the options, but there are not graphics, no race picks, not empire flags, etc.  When I click on start game, I then get the diretx error.  Any one else see this before.  I've tried compatipility mode with XP sp3 and Win2K.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mikeck

Yeah..lol population is a little thin on my worlds. Of course, who wants to leave a sweet spot to live on a mineral rich but barren heavy gravity planet?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Quote from: OJsDad on July 09, 2013, 09:57:05 AM
I have the disks still and I'm running Win7 64bit.  I installed the game and the offical patch with no problem.  When I start the game, I get the intro video but the game setup screen is screwy.  I see all of the options, but there are not graphics, no race picks, not empire flags, etc.  When I click on start game, I then get the diretx error.  Any one else see this before.  I've tried compatipility mode with XP sp3 and Win2K.

I have had the directx error but that is the error you get whenever anything goes wrong so it doesn't tell you much. Make sure you aren't installing it in the Programs(86x) file.
If you are not, my recommendation is to eat the $10 or wherever it is and buy a copy off of GOG. That will have been designed to work on windows 7

solops

Quote from: OJsDad on July 09, 2013, 09:57:05 AM

I have TWO sets of disks, both packed in boxes from the last move, so I got the GoG version for $5. I had the DirectX Surface error with the GoG version. It has to do with the patching process, I think. I found some instructions, followed them and have had no problems since on my Win7 64-bit machine. I have attached them below after editing for clarification. It should also work with the original disks, other than the deleting the exe part.

Steps:

#0: Download Moo3 from Gog. Download the Guerra patches from http://members.chello.nl/gbrinkers/codemods.html and one of the Tropical, Strawberry and Vanilla mods from http://www.mediafire.com/?bab6i5ezwj6u1
Bhruic's patches are included in the mod packages.

#1: Install Moo3. (this will be in the GoG directory. This avoids the problems arising from putting old games in the Windows7 "Program Files (X86)" directory...do NOT do that!)

#2: Back it up! Just copy the whole install directory and paste it right back into a backup directory you should make in the gog directory. " - this is much easier to restore than from the install.

#3: Extract the your mod package (Tropical, Strawberry, whatever) to its own directory. These mods come with their own exe file, which will cause problems with the GoG install. DELETE the mod's moo3.exe - we won't be using it, but rather the GOG (drm-free) moo3.exe. THIS IS IMPORTANT. If you don't delete the pre-modded executable you will be starting over.

#4: Copy the contents of the mod directory into your Moo3 directory. All of it. Make sure you click "yes" to the copy confirmation and to REPLACE the original files.

#5: Run Bhruic's Moo3Patcher.exe - this is what will apply the patches to the GOG moo3.exe. It and the patch data is included in the Tropical, Strawberry and Vanilla mods. If you copied the mod files over correctly, the patcher exe should be in the same file as the moo3.exe. The Bhruic and Guerra patches that were used in the mod are listed in the Tropical v1.38 readme file. These are what you need to install now, Bhruic's patches FIRST!

- this next step is critical -

#6: Underneath the patch window is a window That says "Moo3DLL.dll" - there's an install button next to it. Press it. Do this BEFORE trying to apply the mini-patches. If it can't find the file, browse to the Moo3DLL.dll file in the moo3 directory. This is from the mod files. You want this.

#7: Some tedium: You have to manually patch in all the patches you want in the window above - just click on it and hit 'patch'. If it is successful, it'll say so in the status column. If it's not successful, make sure you did step 6 (only an issue for the ones that say "Yes" in the dll column), and that in the bottom window it's pointing to the Moo3.exe file to patch. There must be a typo in the patcher database because on one patch (forget which) this has an extra "\" in the directory string and it needs to be re-pointed to the Moo3.exe file. (solops note – I did not have this problem)

#8: Apparently patching in SenateVictory breaks Allied Victory, and vice-versa. if you patched in AV first. You just need to "unpatch" Allied victory, and then "repatch" it. Oh well. Pick one.

#9: DO NOT PATCH IN WINDOWED MODE. Don't say I didn't warn you.

If you follow/ my instructions you should be able to get every patch in with the exception of the SV/AV which are exclusive for some reason.

#10. Now copy all of the Guerra patches into the main MOO3 directory and run them.

You should now be good to play.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

vyshka

Anyone have a set of the mac discs? I was told a while back that the source actually ended up on the mac discs, and that was used by bhruic to do his work. Curious to find out if that was true and would be interesting to look through the source.

OJsDad

Thanks guys, I got it to work.  I uninstalled and then reinstalled on c:/games directory. After applying to official 1.2.5 patch, it worked.  I think applied Bhurics fixes and a lot of mods.  I also installed 1024x768 patch.

I do not need to run the exe in compatibility mode.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mikeck

Yeah, I found that old games and the programs 86 folder on windows7 don't mix. The system is hesitant to allow programs to alter files in that directory. It tends to put your save game folders in weird locations as well. Enjoy!

mikeck

Is there a way to pause and issue orders in combat? Had my first fight and it was over before I could do anything. Would like to pause and look around a bit...read some info and stuff.

solops

I cannot remember and I cannot find a "Pause" in the manual. It certainly needs one! I remember having trouble controlling combat, but through trial and error I think I got the hang of it... too long ago to remember. I am not doing to well in my current game...score is middle of the pack, tech is average and the Ithkul are coming...

OJsDad

I seem to remember that not having a pause button in combat was one of the complaints that never got fixed.

sandman2575

By the way -- GOG has MoO3 on sale now for $3.49

I'm seriously tempted but also have games like Space Empires IV sitting on my desktop that I've never really touched.

Is there a 'bare minimum' that can be done to get Moo3 playable?  Like, just install the Tropical mod and off you go?  Or is it just a lot more involved than that?  (If so, I'll have to pass ... just don't have the mental energy to heavily mod-up games at the moment.)

EDIT - sorry Solops, just saw your detailed instructions in Post #35.  OK that sounds pretty involved - !

mikeck

Nope. Download and install the tropical mod. That's it

sandman2575

So, no headaches with installation - ?  I'm running Win 7 x64

EDIT -- sorry, ignore -- I seem to be having reading comprehension problems this morning -- I see that the problems were with the disk installation, not GOG d/l