Brazil 2016 Summer Olympics

Started by steve58, July 04, 2016, 05:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

The UK has done very well in this Olympics at #3 in the medal count.

JudgeDredd

Going by gold, second.

I watched a program the other day that showed the success of the UK Olympic team and the investment. The results of the investment from the National Lottery started to show in 2008. As funding has increased since 2004, so too has the medal count.

£400m approximately was invested in the team since 2012
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

They had an alternate chart on the radio last night - medals per capita of the country- were 19th, USA is 40th and Grenada is 1st

Reports today on the radio speculate the Paralympics will be a bit of a wash out as Brazil can't afford the extra costs

airboy

Olympics are over.  Did not watch any of it with the sound on since what I saw was in bars.

Only things I followed were shooting and women's basketball.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 21, 2016, 03:45:06 AM
They had an alternate chart on the radio last night - medals per capita of the country- were 19th, USA is 40th and Grenada is 1st

Reports today on the radio speculate the Paralympics will be a bit of a wash out as Brazil can't afford the extra costs
That's a nice flip to it.

Given the UK's position and investment, it would also be interesting to see per $ of investment
Alba gu' brath

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

besilarius

Well, it went to the closing celebration, but they finally put Carmen Miranda on the program.  Did two numbers.
I'd almost given up hope.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bayonetbrant

Just in case you were feeling slightly adequate today

http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/17535217/four-visually-impaired-paralympians-beat-olympic-gold-medal-1500m

QuoteAlgeria's Abdellatif Baka set a blazing pace in the Paralympics men's 1,500-meter final, turning in a time of 3 minutes, 48.29 seconds at Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro on Sunday, good for a gold medal.

Had he run that time at the same track in August, he would have eclipsed surprise Olympic gold medalist Matthew Centrowitz's winning time of 3:50 in the same event.

Baka was not alone, either, as the second-, third- and fourth-place finishers in the Paralympics final all bettered the American Centrowitz's gold-medal winning time in Rio.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus