Main Menu

War Thunder Thread

Started by republic, November 07, 2014, 07:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Cyrano on July 11, 2018, 09:50:56 AM
Given the many passionate discussions we've had here about BFC's relatively benign DRM in the CMx2 series, I'm surprised no one has discussed the very intrusive Gaijin DRM program.  It was a nuisance while I was playing a game I otherwise enjoyed and was dismayed about how difficult it was to remove when I tired of it.

To me it was near master class level "annoy your customer" stuff.

I'm using steam to get to War Thunder.  I haven't noticed any intrusive DRM.  The undating seems good and I ignore most of the other weird stuff about the game (wagers, titles, the officers club etc. etc. etc.).  The cheating level fluctuates (which is interesting), but there is some evidence that some cheating does get dealt with somehow.  So that's good.

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on July 11, 2018, 10:19:29 AM
Has anybody mentioned the gambling wager element?

I see lots of puzzling stuff along those lines, but I have a very low opinion of my abilities in the game so I'm not tempted to put even more pressure on my naive strategems.

bobarossa

If you select a wager and put no money down, you still get 1/2 payoff if you succeed.

jomni

Quote from: MengJiao on July 11, 2018, 11:19:59 AM
Given the many passionate discussions we've had here about BFC's relatively benign DRM in the CMx2 series, I'm surprised no one has discussed the very intrusive Gaijin DRM program.  It was a nuisance while I was playing a game I otherwise enjoyed and was dismayed about how difficult it was to remove when I tired of it.

I'm using steam to get to War Thunder.  I haven't noticed any intrusive DRM.  The undating seems good and I ignore most of the other weird stuff about the game (wagers, titles, the officers club etc. etc. etc.).  The cheating level fluctuates (which is interesting), but there is some evidence that some cheating does get dealt with somehow.  So that's good.

Never noticed cheating.  Or maybe I don't care.

MengJiao

Quote from: jomni on July 11, 2018, 05:41:15 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 11, 2018, 11:19:59 AM

Never noticed cheating.  Or maybe I don't care.

The only interesting thing I've noticed about cheating is that right after Gaijin announces they have dropped the usual 250 cheaters, there is about a two week period where I can safely zoom across the map in a fast US vehicle and get missed 5 or 10 times.  Once the cheating gets going again, I get picked off at extraordinary ranges no matter how fast I'm going and there are no misses.  So then I stay in heavier tanks and don't drive around too much for the next two weeks and then the cycle begins again.
PS: Apparently the aimbot cheats (and there seem to be quite a few) just set up a shot (ie aim in a bot-like way) at the "location" of the target so the shot is correct automatically for range etc. BUT it "aims" at the location of the target not at a location on the target so aimbot targetted light vehicles get blown up at extraordinary ranges, but well-armored targets tend to shrug off the aimbot shots since they are at long range (often) and not aimed at weak points.  If a non-cheater shoots at long range, you'll get a few misses and then some well-targetted shots.  If an aimbot shoots from long range, and you have reasonable armor, there's a good chance you can knock out the shooter (for example, by shooting from a lower level at the lower hull ).

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Tuna on July 11, 2018, 05:54:13 AM
I'll have to give this one a try, I had fun in our TW MP sessions!

I'm in!

Tuna

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 11, 2018, 06:28:24 PM
Quote from: Tuna on July 11, 2018, 05:54:13 AM
I'll have to give this one a try, I had fun in our TW MP sessions!

I'm in!

LOL, might be easier to hook up with you, only 3 hours time difference, where Destraex is like 13 or 14 or something like that.

Destraex

Hey, I'm right here! :P
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Tuna

Quote from: Destraex on July 11, 2018, 09:16:34 PM
Hey, I'm right here! :P
and I'm about to catch some zzzzs

Destraex

I will stand picket on your war thunder kit.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Tuna

BTW, are we talking flying, or tanking here?

MengJiao

Quote from: Tuna on July 12, 2018, 08:40:56 AM

I tank and fly in "realistic" battles as JacquesLacann.  Currently I'm playing USA at about BR 2.3 (P40E) to 5.3 (M18, baby!)

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Tuna on July 12, 2018, 08:40:56 AM

I've got lots of both (except the French and Italian lines.  I stopped playing about the time they were announced.)

Tuna

ugh, I'm probably way behind tier wise. Haven't played in years!

Dammit Carl!

Some Grog form a Squadron so I can join in - got booted from my old group whilst deployed (think they had a management change, so new boss = "out with the old!") and so need another like-minded group of chaps to frolic about with in my Heinkel and Brumbar.