Battletech is back!!!

Started by Shelldrake, May 12, 2017, 06:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

I like this game (7-7.5/10), seems to reward my game style of 'head straight towards the trouble' with one more mobile mech going for the flank.

I have no idea where I am in respect to the storyline, but I have some pretty decent mechs; Highlander, BattleMaster, Orion, and Awesome. If I see a mech I want to salvage, I take out a leg from distance and then melee it until the pilot is incapacitated. Those LRM++ and SRM+++ are really good for eventual pilot incapacitation.

I have only 2 original mech pilots, the rest have all been carbonized from their mech CTs going critical because their nearly trashed mechs needed to draw fire for just 1 more turn  ::). They took one too many for the team.... err lance.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

Is there a High AF Hippie mech with 'olde' weapons pack?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: Gusington on June 14, 2018, 11:14:08 AM

that would be the MadCat KAF [Kool As F***]
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tuna

Everyone know, that this has been on sale on Paradox's site? Didn't know if I saw the mentiioned here. I think it ends today.

DennisS

Yes, and I named him "Oddball."

Tuna

Quote from: DennisS on June 14, 2018, 03:11:48 PM

Yes, and I named him "Oddball."

Enough with the negative waves Moriarty

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

DennisS

OK..just raided the SDLF armory, and got myself a couple of assault mechs. Yep...90 hours of gameplay, and just to this point in game. I like taking my time!

Now that my tonnage for my lance is respectable (85-80-75-70), I am looking to spec out one of them as a pure LRM carrier. Right now, my favorite technique is to close the range, and focus fire. Works pretty good, with totally maxed out morale. I can generally take out one enemy mech per turn.

So...what mech archetypes are best suited as LRM carriers? Don't care about armor, it will be kept well back of the FEBA.

mikeck

I know there is one mech (starts with an "S" I think) that can carry 4 LRM 20s.
I don't have one though. I used to use a catapult and then a trebuchet and they worked ok. Now though, I use one of the Orion models that allows for 3 rockets. I was using 3 LRM 20s but switched to 2xLRM20++ and one LRM15+++. I carry 3 containers of LRM ammo and one double heat sink. The rest is armor. I like the Orion as my missle boat because it carries a lot of armor and has decent mobility. Both important when the enemy begins to focus fire

My strategy is similar to yours. I use a Highlander and Battlemaster equipped with AC 10's, PPCs,  a gauss gun (highlander only) and some lasers. I try to get close as I fire. My 3rd is my QD built for melee. Once I'm close and an enemy mech has been damaged, I use the QD for its DFA. It also has a melee damage bonus arm and leg along with a gyroscope.

I WAS using a thunderbolt as a long range sniper. Had a PPC and 2 AC 5's. I found though that I had a lot of trouble keeping the range where I could hit them but they couldn't get me. It was easier to do long range damage with the LRM boat. Not sure I've found a use for long range sniping that is outside the ability of the LRM carrier Orion
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

KyzBP

Quote from: mikeck on June 16, 2018, 12:52:23 PM
I don't have one though. I used to use a catapult and then a trebuchet and they worked ok. Now though, I use one of the Orion models that allows for 3 rockets. I was using 3 LRM 20s but switched to 2xLRM20++ and one LRM15+++. I carry 3 containers of LRM ammo and one double heat sink. The rest is armor. I like the Orion as my missle boat because it carries a lot of armor and has decent mobility. Both important when the enemy begins to focus fire

My strategy is similar to yours. I use a Highlander and Battlemaster equipped with AC 10's, PPCs,  a gauss gun (highlander only) and some lasers. I try to get close as I fire. My 3rd is my QD built for melee. Once I'm close and an enemy mech has been damaged, I use the QD for its DFA. It also has a melee damage bonus arm and leg along with a gyroscope.

I WAS using a thunderbolt as a long range sniper. Had a PPC and 2 AC 5's. I found though that I had a lot of trouble keeping the range where I could hit them but they couldn't get me. It was easier to do long range damage with the LRM boat. Not sure I've found a use for long range sniping that is outside the ability of the LRM carrier Orion

I think the Stalker is the "S" you're looking for.  After reading your post I put one together that I'm calling the Phantom.  It has 3 LRM20 and an LRM10.  It's legs are nothing more than LRM magazines.  The paint job is it's armor.

Jarhead0331

Anybody running the ROGUETECH mod? I hear its fantastic.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Quote from: KyzBP on June 16, 2018, 02:13:02 PM

I think the Stalker is the "S" you're looking for.  After reading your post I put one together that I'm calling the Phantom.  It has 3 LRM20 and an LRM10.  It's legs are nothing more than LRM magazines.  The paint job is it's armor.

Having a Nice LRM boat with 3 LRM-20s (or 2 20's and a 15) makes the game to easy for me. I won't use it anymore. Problem is that I cheated up until the tomb raider mission and restarted of any of my pilots got killed. So now they are all 9's and 10's in everything. So to balance it. I don't use LRM boats. I have a Jaeger that I had outfitted as a sniper with 3 AC5++'s replaced one with a PPC++.  Like I said before though, the extra range just doesn't translate to power on the field. I'd rather bring my Orion with an AC-20++ and LRM 15 or something.

I'm not sure if it's from me not losing pilots so they are all good, but I find that besides the light mechs we discussed, I can't find a role on the Lance for anything but the heaviest mechs with the most firepower
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

DennisS

Quote from: mikeck on June 16, 2018, 09:32:48 PM
Quote from: KyzBP on June 16, 2018, 02:13:02 PM

Having a Nice LRM boat with 3 LRM-20s (or 2 20's and a 15) makes the game to easy for me. I won't use it anymore. Problem is that I cheated up until the tomb raider mission and restarted of any of my pilots got killed. So now they are all 9's and 10's in everything. So to balance it. I don't use LRM boats. I have a Jaeger that I had outfitted as a sniper with 3 AC5++'s replaced one with a PPC++.  Like I said before though, the extra range just doesn't translate to power on the field. I'd rather bring my Orion with an AC-20++ and LRM 15 or something.

I'm not sure if it's from me not losing pilots so they are all good, but I find that besides the light mechs we discussed, I can't find a role on the Lance for anything but the heaviest mechs with the most firepower

Heavy and then assault mechs with a crap-load of weapons. Focus fire down each in turn, off to the next mission.