WW1 Royal Navy quality worse than the Hochseeflotte in wargames

Started by Boggit, March 08, 2013, 08:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Do these ships blow-up by themselves or when other people are shooting at them? Either way I'd be upset but maybe somebody should check the, "Smoking Rules" to see if they need adjustments.  ;D  Historically, I don't think the whole cordite problem thing didn't come about until later, maybe 1912 or so?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 20, 2018, 02:54:05 PM
Do these ships blow-up by themselves or when other people are shooting at them? Either way I'd be upset but maybe somebody should check the, "Smoking Rules" to see if they need adjustments.  ;D  Historically, I don't think the whole cordite problem thing didn't come about until later, maybe 1912 or so?

These ships were under fire, but the spontaeous propellant explosions bring up an interesting problem since most of the ships that blew up were not RN ships.  I'm not sure how far back in time the spontaneious propellant explosions go but the French battleship Liberte blew up in 1911 and I think there were earlier propellant explosions -- around 20 in all by say 1920.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 20, 2018, 07:37:36 PM
What got the Maine? Was that propellant or coal?

Seems a little early for a classic propellant explosion.

Gusington

IIRC The Maine blew up from an ignition in its coal chamber. Or a Spanish bomb, if you're feeling...yellow.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on December 20, 2018, 09:42:39 PM
IIRC The Maine blew up from an ignition in its coal chamber. Or a Spanish bomb, if you're feeling...yellow.

In either case the propellant magazine blew up right away.  I don't know what kind of propellant it used.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

GaryMc

Quote from: Gusington on December 21, 2018, 08:07:47 AM
IIRC it was coal.

Last I read, the theory was a bit more complex than that.  It's been a few years, but it was a case with multiple moving parts.  The US used a grade of coal at the time which had a tendency towards spontaneous combustion if left alone for too long.  The Maine had been loaded with coal, and then sat and cooled its heels (I think in Key West, but not 100%) while Washington monitored the situation.  Then, the Maine was ordered to Havana, and that's not much of a hop, and certainly  not enough to empty out the bunker. 

The running theory is that there was a coal fire  in a bunker which was next to one of the magazines (the secondary magazine IIRC, but I don't have the book in front of me.)  The Captain of the ship reported an hour or so before the explosion that he'd gone down a corridor with had a bulkhead on the bunker, and he put his hand against the bulkhead and felt nothing unusual, but on the other hand, he is just slightly biased.

The thing that really threw the first investigators is that the keel plates of the Maine were bent inwards, not outwards as you would expect from an internal explosion.  That's why the mine theory got so much traction back in the day.  More recent computer modeling suggests that the keel was close enough to the bottom of the harbor for the shock wave to reflect back up into the ship, bending the plates back in.

ETA: it's been a long time since I read on this, but the above was taken from my memories of reading

https://www.amazon.com/War-Spain-1898-David-Trask/dp/0803294298/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546487780&sr=8-1&keywords=trask+spanish+american+war