What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Bet he hasn't punched it out yet tough....  L:-)

mirth

He's still stickering the blocks :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

I'll need another lesson at Origins on how to do that.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

They're stickers. It should be self explanatory.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on March 14, 2018, 08:48:34 AM
They're stickers. It should be self explanatory.

Don't take them for granted!

I accidentally stuck Greek War Elephant stickers on an Eastern/Indian colored block, and vice versa, in C&C Expansion 1. 

My OCD almost caused a stroke after seeing what I had done.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Cyrano

Precisely why my bride graciously stickers ALL the blocks in this household.  I could never bear the annoyance of screwing one up and she's far better at it than I am.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

mirth

Yesterday's game. Sicily 43, Germans vs Canadians using Spearhead for rules (I played German).

12 turn scenario. The Allied victory conditions were to have 15 rifle platoons in the German table end at the end of the game. German VC was to deny the 15 platoons.

On turn 12, the German Fallschirmjager conducted 3 close assaults on Canadian rifle platoons. The FJ won two of the three assaults, but that left the Canadians with exactly 15 rifle platoons (they started the game with 24 rifle platoons) in the German zone.

Very close run thing and a very fun game.

BanzaiCat

I just got the Normandy expansion for Tide of Iron. Funny since I haven't tried to learn ToI yet and have two other expansions for it. I guess there's worse things to be addicted to.

Well, also got Tiny Epic Western and the Heart of Glorm expansion for Mice & Mystics...lol.

Cyrano

Gloomhaven.

Presently 0-3 on the same Bandit Commander S.O.B. and I am not freaking having it.

We were so close...

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Silent Disapproval Robot

I picked up a copy of Federation Commander: Klingon Border for 50% off at a convention last weekend.  (and then promptly bought Romulan Border, Tholian Attack, the consolidated FC rulebook, a Reinforcements booster pack, a 4'x6' space mat with hexes, and several out of production Star Trek Heroclix minis because I have a problem....)

I loved playing the base game of Star Fleet Battles back when I had a sharper mind, lots of free time, and very little money.   I kinda dropped out of it once the pace of gameplay got too slow what with all the drones, anti-drone drones, and fighter squadrons.

I haven't seen or heard too much about SFB of FC lately but I did see some guys running a game of it a few years back and they said that Federation Commander streamlined a lot of the rules and made it a much faster and more accessible game.  I read through the rules (stupid drones are still in there and they got rid of the fun stuff like ECMs and ECCMs) and we're going to give it a whirl on Thursday.  Looking forward to it to see how it gets on with my friends who are really into Armada.  (that's the reason for the minis.  They'd never countenance a game with chits.)

Silent Disapproval Robot

Set the game up on the table to run through some of the rules in solitaire mode just to make sure I've got them down.

Here are some of the random Heroclix minis I found at nerd stores (and the unpainted Enterprise from my Fleet Captains game).  I've got a few more on the way in the mail.  The red Vulcan thing will sub for a Tholian for now.

I did a little painting on some (red stripes and front on one of the TNG eraRomulans.  Different nacelle tip colours on the Birds of Prey.) to help distinguish between models when they're on the table.

Initial setup.  2v2 fight between the Federation and the Romulans.  Feds are bringing a heavy cruiser and a destroyer vs a Romulan-owned Klingon thingie and a Bird ship.

Ship cards and minis for the Klingon thingie and the Bird ship.

Ship cards and minis for the meddling Federation.

And CHARTS!!!!

BanzaiCat

That brings back many a horrific memory of playing SFB many moons ago...

But it looks cool regardless.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Horrific?  I think you meant "awesome"!.

(yeah, it got a bit ridiculous after a while with all the rules on top of rules on top of rules and having to track every single missile, plasma torp, and anti-missile drone over the space of 32 phases every turn.) 

Federation Commander cleans up a lot of the minutiae and speeds things up quite a bit but it's still pretty dense and requires a bit of book-keeping.  Nothing like SFB though and having the laminated ship cards helps a lot.

Nefaro

50% Off?  You lucky bastidge.  You go all-in when you go, don't ya?  :D

Look like you got some paintin' to do now, too.

I didn't mind drones (aka 'space missiles') so much; at least they kept things interesting despite requiring more effort.  Getting rid of the ECM/ECCM whack-a-mole was a good move.  Didn't need it, because it was a guessing contest.

Reducing the amount of phases per turn, in FC, was also another good call. 

It's still thick on rules.  Just a bit faster than SFB, which is a big plus.   :bd: