What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

The Strange Death of Europe by Douglas Murray.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Gusington

Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. 100 pages in, great book.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Gusington on May 25, 2019, 05:24:32 PM
Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. 100 pages in, great book.

Probably my favorite novel.

CJReich46

[i The Book of The New Sun[/i] by Gene Wolfe . I have the first part Shadow of the Torturer and Claw of the Conciliator

Heard its really interesting with the world building etc. Just in the 2nd chapter. Taking my time with this.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Oh man, Gates of Fire is absolutely fantastic.  His other novel is also outstanding.  I give my strongest, heartiest endorsement!   :bd:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

What's the title of his other book?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I thought it was Tides of War, but looking through some of his other books, the one I was thinking of is The Afghan Campaign.  I think I read Tides of War, but now I'm not sure.  The Afghan Campaign was great.

2,300 years ago an unbeaten army of the West invaded the homeland of a fierce Eastern tribal foe. This is one soldier's story . . .

The bestselling novelist of ancient warfare returns with a riveting historical novel that re-creates Alexander the Great's invasion of the Afghan kingdoms in 330 b.c.
In a story that might have been ripped from today's combat dispatches, Steven Pressfield brings to life the confrontation between an invading Western army and fierce Eastern warriors determined at all costs to defend their homeland. Narrated by an infantryman in Alexander's army, The Afghan Campaign explores the challenges, both military and moral, that Alexander and his soldiers face as they embark on a new type of war and are forced to adapt to the methods of a ruthless foe that employs terror and insurgent tactics. An edge-of-your-seat adventure, The Afghan Campaign once again demonstrates Pressfield's profound understanding of the hopes and desperation of men in battle and of the historical realities that continue to influence our world.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Well, you drew me in.  I just checked out two of his books I haven't read: Last of the Amazons and The Virtues of War.  I think I'm going to start Virtues tomorrow.

Thanks Gus!

Ubercat

Quote from: CJReich46 on May 25, 2019, 11:05:15 PM
The Book of The New Sun by Gene Wolfe . I have the first part Shadow of the Torturer and Claw of the Conciliator

Heard its really interesting with the world building etc. Just in the 2nd chapter. Taking my time with this.

It's worth taking your time. Absolutely brilliant series. To me it reads like fine literature as much as sci fi/fantasy. There's a final, 5th book called Urth of the new Sun that rounds out the series. I've probably read them a half a dozen times in the last 25 years. I was struck that a critic called Wolfe "the greatest living American author".

He wrote a couple of other trilogies that take place in the same universe that I sadly just didn't like that much. I forced myself to finish them but won't be reading them again.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Gusington

Looks like I'm gonna be reading Pressfield books for a while. I knew about Tides of War but not The Afghan Campaign...I need to read both 😎🤓

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I placed a hold with my library for those New Sun books.  I'm not sure they're my thing, but the praise is pretty high so I'll give them a try.

Airborne Rifles

They're all good, but none as good as Gates of Fire in my opinion. He's also got a couple more modern ones, The Profession, about a future war, and Killing Rommel is set in WWII (obviously).

Probably my favorite Pressfield book after Gates of Fire, though, is his non-fiction The Lion's Gate about the Six Day War. Absolutely brilliant story telling from the perspective of Moshe Dayan all the way down to the Israeli paratroopers on the streets of Jerusalem.

Gusington

Damn you all. Maybe I will be a responsible citizen and place a hold on every Pressfield title at my library.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

200 pages in, the Spartans engaged the Syracusans and their allies...I have never read a battle description so well written and vivid. Not only did it read like he was there, it reads like he was a gifted writer who happened to be there.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd