What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Gusington

I can't hug this early in the morning in my weakened state.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

I'm reading House of Assassins by Larry Correia. I like his other series (Monster Hunter International; Grim Noire) much better.

Gusington

Now reading The Ember War (Book 1) by Richard Fox, just finished Iron Dragoons (Book 1). Terra Nova (1) next and if I have not satiated my sci fi bug, The Dotari Salvation - Terran Strike Marines. Richard Fox has become my go to sci fi writer, replacing Marko Kloos and his Terms of Enlistment series. I just enjoy Fox's writing more.

With some sci fi out of the way, I think I will read Cornwell's Winter King next.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Quote from: Gusington on February 28, 2019, 10:35:25 AM
Now reading The Ember War (Book 1) by Richard Fox, just finished Iron Dragoons (Book 1). Terra Nova (1) next and if I have not satiated my sci fi bug, The Dotari Salvation - Terran Strike Marines. Richard Fox has become my go to sci fi writer, replacing Marko Kloos and his Terms of Enlistment series. I just enjoy Fox's writing more.

With some sci fi out of the way, I think I will read Cornwell's Winter King next.

Three things got me to buy this.
1 won a dragon award
2 your recommendation
3 first review was  a 1 star from a SJW ignorant of history

Gusington

The author is also a USMA grad and Iraq War vet. But your 3rd point may be the most important, still 😎

You may also like Marko Kloos if you haven't read his books yet, but I enjoy Fox's books more. It's also interesting to see units, troops and events mentioned in one book appear in another.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I was fortunate enough to get to spend an extended amount of time in airliners the last week.

I finished Matterhorn.  I mostly liked it, although the end was a bummer.

I also finished The Hobbit.  I concur fully that it reads like a children's book.  I can't say I particularly enjoyed it, but I felt obligated to finish it so I can say that, yes, I've read The Hobbit.  It's like a children's book.

Not sure where I'm going to next.  I started Massie's Dreadnought, but it isn't grabbing me at all.  I also started re-reading a Clive Cussler book Raise the Titanic that I first read when I was much younger, but I think I might have simply outgrown Cussler's writing style.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Dreadnought is not grabbing you?? That's a travesty.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Dreadnought was stellar!  Even I enjoyed it.

And The Hobbit was written as a children's story.  however, I read it in 3rd Grade, so, it will always have a special place in my heart.  And as the entree into LotR, it holds a double special place in my heart.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

At what point does Dreadnought start getting good?  I'm still in the this guy married that woman, this one loved England, this one loved Germany part.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Toonces on March 03, 2019, 12:24:22 PM
At what point does Dreadnought start getting good?  I'm still in the this guy married that woman, this one loved England, this one loved Germany part.

That's the nature of Massie books. Think of what you're reading right now as setting the stage for the story, introducing the characters and immersing you in the time period. Once he's done with that, you have a much better understanding of all the players and their motivations when you get to the real meat of the book.

Gusington

Dude if you don't like the details then why bother?

I can't even look at you.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

About to begin Ararat by Christopher Golden.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Now reading Greek Fire, Poison Arrows & Scorpion Bombs - Biological and Chemical Warfare in the Ancient World by Adrienne Mayor. Great book, have read almost 100 pages since just yesterday.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd