A guide to exploring abandoned churches

Started by besilarius, September 15, 2019, 06:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JasonPratt

Valid, but unsure why this is in Music, TV, Movies...  ???

(...unless 'they' moved it here after you set it down...  :o )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

besilarius

You're probably right.  Was thinking of various shows that inevitably end up with exploratory teenagers meeting the anti christ in a church.
Move if you desire.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

Bes I had no idea you were interested in this kind of thing. Me too!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Ubercat

One of these days I'll have to tell you guys about the man I met in Society Hill, Philadelphia in the summer of 1987 when I was a 19 year old squid, new to my ship and new to the east coast. He was 90 if he was a day. Today he'd be 127 122 if he were a day.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Gusington

You can't just drop info like that and disappear...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Ubercat

I was thoroughly in love with my first big city, exploring South St and downtown Philly as much as I could after work every day and weekend (when not on duty). I was walking through Society Hill, possibly Chestnut St(?) one day when a very old man came out of his front door and asked if I could help him. He was tiny, decrepit and twisted, probably about as ancient as a man could be and still walk.

He needed someone to close his skylight (if that's what it's called). I just had to walk up to the top of the staircase in his house, lean out slightly over the railing, and pull the cord to close it. He had discovered that he could no longer do it. I volunteered, and what should have taken 5 minutes at most ended up taking at least an hour.

He'd lived in the house all his life. He and his brother (dead for decades) had inherited it from their parents in the 1920's. Slowly we made our way upstairs, pausing on each floor as he told me his story. I'm sure he was lonely. Memory fades but I'm still tantalized by what I recall of the wonders I saw in each room we passed. He was a packrat. Every room had piles of old things, pictures, magazines from his youth, appliances and tools, nick knacks of every description. I wish I could have explored the place for at least a day.

Finally we climbed to the top and I easily accomplished my task. It was like an anticlimax. We descended much faster than we'd risen and he saw me off at the door with many thanks. I wish that I'd made a note of his address and stopped by other times to say hello. I'm sure he'd have appreciated the company and so would I have.

The tale doesn't exactly line up with the OP but it but it does remind me of other things I discovered while roaming old town. Stories perhaps for another day.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!