Close Combat Bloody 1st - First video footage

Started by Destraex, May 12, 2018, 07:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Looking good in general. The silhouette icons though I do not like.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

acctingman

RyanE

Funny, I thought it looked like Combat Mission with the view pulled  way back.

Rayfer

Quote from: Destraex on May 12, 2018, 07:57:15 AM
Looking good in general. The silhouette icons though I do not like.

Agreed regarding the silhouette icons...I wonder if there  is an option to turn them off?  Otherwise, looking good.

Apocalypse 31

Looks terrible, but thats what happens when a game is delayed by almost 8 years. Technology and the market surpasses you. Obviously, CC will always have a place in my heart as one of the forefathers of RTS gaming, but this is a hard pass.

1. That 3D engine looks cheap and hard on the eyes, especially compared to Wargame and Steel Division. As gamey as Wargame/SD and CoH are, their engines are the standard for appearance.
2. That movement system looks awful. Click, then click again, then click again. Three clicks just to move a unit or have a unit engage the enemy. Just have hotkeys like every other RTS game out there.
3. Pathfinding looks terrible.

Nothing was wrong with the old graphics or 2d game- the only thing that was broke was the AI. Had the AI been fixed, then CC could've lived on forever.. Talk about developers trying to fix things that aren't broken, and/or not fixing the root causes.

Destraex

I hope they fixed the AI as well, or that it is entirely new. But I would not be surprised if it is the same old AI files and the 3D engine is the only new thing.
However I did hear somewhere they had to migrate to a new engine recently. I actually don't mind the look that much. But yes, it is certainly not cutting edge.
I for one am though, excited about this. I played the old ones up to CC5 so much that I gave the series a break from about 2000 or so up until now iirc. The Gold Juno Sword mod for CC5 imho was the pinnacle of this games achievement.

I do not think I would have considered another close combat game unless it had these things to put it above combat mission and the older close combat games:

1) 4 Player multiplayer including 2 player vs AI
2) A new 3D engine
3) A theatre other than normandy

"Hello Guys

We are hoping to include Co Op in The Bloody First

Players will share the standard sized force - 2 players won't double the number of units on the map

regards
Ben Wilkins "

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4441333
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

HoodedHorseJoe

FWIW, The Bloody First's campaign (and the skirmish mode) features Tunisia & Sicily, as well as Normandy. Normandy is the final arc of the campaign last time I checked.

Also the movement system is exactly the same (as far as I remember) as the original Close Combat games.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

JudgeDredd

I just can't get excited about Close Combat games anymore. There was a day...but there's been so little innovation  :'(
Alba gu' brath

HoodedHorseJoe

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 15, 2018, 03:42:27 AM
I just can't get excited about Close Combat games anymore. There was a day...but there's been so little innovation  :'(

I think if it'd still been Microsoft and Atomic Games, we might have seen some extra innovation by now - the problem is as developers and publishers change, and when you're dealing with a series that's achieved 'cult classic' status... one can be hesitant to do too many change.

I reckon The Bloody First is going to be an 'ok' game, but incredibly divisive... but it's also going to lead to a far better future for the series than if Matrix hadn't gone 3D at all.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Skoop

To me, the best thing about the series was the strat layer tied into the tactical in the campaign.  The tactical engine kinda of sucked really.  Once combat mission came out I dropped close combat series like a bad habit.  The Campaigns were all that were missed and the one thing combat mission can't do.

Rayfer

Reading this and other threads over the years has opened my eyes to the fact there are two broad types of wargamers.  Many play these tactical games with extreme minutia (and please, don't take this as a criticism, it's not), they spend a lot of time reviewing the battlefield, plotting the best lines-of-sight,  initial placement of units, lines of advance, etc. etc., developing deep strategies thus overwhelming most games' AI's, criticizing the AI's as awful.  And for them they are. I suspect that is why many of these gamers prefer to play a human opponent. Then there are gamers like me who use the "Agrippa Maxentius" method ( I enjoy his YouTube videos)....go in with guns ablazing and just have fun.  Yes, we strategize some but we don't obsess with it, we don't ponder each and ever action...and yes, we lose a lot but we sometimes win, and we find the game AI's to be quite challenging. That's why I always chuckle when I read posts of how awful AI's are on games that I find to be challenging. (Close Combat and most HPS games come to mind)  I'm not judging either style of play, neither is the right or wrong way to play. To each his own. I'm curious as to what others think of this?

Pete Dero

Quote from: Rayfer on May 15, 2018, 12:13:16 PM
Reading this and other threads over the years has opened my eyes to the fact there are two broad types of wargamers.  Many play these tactical games with extreme minutia (and please, don't take this as a criticism, it's not), they spend a lot of time reviewing the battlefield, plotting the best lines-of-sight,  initial placement of units, lines of advance, etc. etc., developing deep strategies thus overwhelming most games' AI's, criticizing the AI's as awful.  And for them they are. I suspect that is why many of these gamers prefer to play a human opponent. Then there are gamers like me who use the "Agrippa Maxentius" method ( I enjoy his YouTube videos)....go in with guns ablazing and just have fun.  Yes, we strategize some but we don't obsess with it, we don't ponder each and ever action...and yes, we lose a lot but we sometimes win, and we find the game AI's to be quite challenging. That's why I always chuckle when I read posts of how awful AI's are on games that I find to be challenging. (Close Combat and most HPS games come to mind)  I'm not judging either style of play, neither is the right or wrong way to play. To each his own. I'm curious as to what others think of this?

I like to minimize my casualties (winning with 3 units left isn't winning but a desaster) so I guess I'm in the first category for historical games (WWII, ...).

This works for me in games like Combat Mission but for some reason my losses are always huge in games like Graviteam Tactics.

Sir Slash

One of the reasons I suck at Combat Mission is I cannot stand losing my little Pixeltroopers. Heavy losses make me cringe.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.