Main Menu

Star Ruler 2

Started by Jarhead0331, July 17, 2014, 09:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Didn't even know this one was in serious development.  I know the developers abandoned the first game a long time ago to move on to a new project.  The first game had some good ideas, byt ultimately, I thought it failed because it lacked soul and purpose.  This one "looks" like they are trying to address those short-comings.

Anyway, early access tomorrow.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/282590/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

I'm in...I liked the first one and felt I got my money's worth
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 17, 2014, 09:34:44 PM
Didn't even know this one was in serious development.  I know the developers abandoned the first game a long time ago to move on to a new project.  The first game had some good ideas, byt ultimately, I thought it failed because it lacked soul and purpose.  This one "looks" like they are trying to address those short-comings.

Isn't Saturday a weird day for a release?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tpek on July 18, 2014, 04:27:30 AM

It's being released today, which is Friday. Today was tomorrow yesterday.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Shelldrake

I could never get my head around the ship design mechanics in SR but it looks like a more conventional approach for SR2, at least from the screenshot.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 18, 2014, 04:48:58 AM
Quote from: Tpek on July 18, 2014, 04:27:30 AM

It's being released today, which is Friday. Today was tomorrow yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hH_K2Z0NO0

mikeck

Looking at the YouTube videos...the UI graphics look like something from 1999. Odd. But i buy any space game so I will by this and contribute to those who push out half-assed games and then stop supporting them.

I will then provide a brief review that no one should listen to because I like every game pretty much...but if I say it blows...it's bad
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on July 18, 2014, 09:38:32 AM
Looking at the YouTube videos...the UI graphics look like something from 1999. Odd. But i buy any space game so I will by this and contribute to those who push out half-assed games and then stop supporting them.

I will then provide a brief review that no one should listen to because I like every game pretty much...but if I say it blows...it's bad

How soon can we have your opinion?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 18, 2014, 04:49:56 PM
Quote from: mikeck on July 18, 2014, 09:38:32 AM

How soon can we have your opinion?

Lol...not for awile it appears. I can't break loose from Divinity

Grim.Reaper

Jarhead0331

Whatever...I got it. Big surprise.

I'm enjoying it so far. It feels a bit "bland" but it is early access and has a way to go. There are things I don't like, but there are also some pretty neat concepts in there. SR1 ultimately failed as a game, but it did innovate and I already see innovation in SR2. The economy system and galaxy market system of imports and exports is pretty unique.  I haven't really gotten into ship design yet, but I definitely prefer definable vessel shapes to the circle of SR1. I could just never get the hang of that. Graphically, I like some of the effects so far, like entering hyperspace, explosions, etc.  Not a huge fan of the ship models and so far all races seem to use the same models, but hopefully this will diversify. Anyway, it has that "just one more turn" feeling, and it isn't even turn-based. lol. What I mean is, I want to keep playing and learning...so I remain uncertain but hopeful at this time.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

Research and diplomacy both have interesting concepts and mechanics too. Research has you focusing theoretical fields, and as you level up your tech in each field, you gain access to projects and insights. Projects are more traditional research items, like new weapons, shields, engines, etc. while insights can be used to upgrade various fields providing bonuses across the board. For instance, using thermodynamics insight may provide an energy bonus to all of your vessels, etc.

Diplomacy, meanwhile is sort of a mini game. You buy cards with influence to accomplish various tasks, such as spying, negotiating proposals, annexing planets or whole systems. Some actions require a senate vote which works on a timer. If I am proposing to annex a system, I have to earn positive support for 3 minutes. The opponent oft he action, meanwhile, can expend influence to gain opposition to the vote. If he can run down the timer, the vote fails. If I can continue to play negotiation cards keeping positive support up for 3 minutes, he vote succeeds and the system is mine.

They are interesting and innovative concepts. They undoubtedly need more work though and the UI is pretty atrocious.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog