Field of Glory: Empires

Started by -budd-, November 20, 2018, 10:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Here's a glorious, picturesque moment midway through my latest Carthage campaign.  The Allied Camel Corps of Carthage and Nasamones meet and begin a joint siege of a long-held Desertic rebel city!  This was quite cathartic after we each spent years playing tireless whack-a-mole with the rebels across the Libyan desert.

A proud (if ultimately meaningless due to the frequency of rebellion in this playthrough) moment in a very strange timeline.  After uniting Italy, Rome focused literally all their efforts expanding directly East as far as possible into the Balkans, Greece, and modern-day Austria and Czech Republic, and Thrace.  However, they fucked up bad in the first 40 turns or so: the Semones (or whatever their name is) somehow managed to conquer Rome and hold it for an entire turn.  Ever since then, despite re-capturing their titular city, the capital of Rome has been Neapolis.... So, I guess they are technically the Neapolitan Empire now?   :2funny:  So anyways, the glorious Neapolitan Empire has devolved into some crazy six-way civil war that I have no intention of entangling myself in.

Also, hilariously enough, Parisii conquered most of Britain and wiped out all the indigenous tribes (except the Picts, who just sort of collapsed and vanished into obscurity).  Didn't see that one coming.

EDIT:  Also, as a random side-note, I noticed that rebel factions can fight each other (i.e. Semitic Rebel regions and armies will be allied with each other, but hostile towards Desertic Rebel regions and armies).  What an awesome feature.  Goddamn I love this game.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

jomni

Great story. I have yet to fire it up.

devoncop

Quote from: al_infierno on July 23, 2019, 11:19:06 PM
Here's a glorious, picturesque moment midway through my latest Carthage campaign.  The Allied Camel Corps of Carthage and Nasamones meet and begin a joint siege of a long-held Desertic rebel city!  This was quite cathartic after we each spent years playing tireless whack-a-mole with the rebels across the Libyan desert.

A proud (if ultimately meaningless due to the frequency of rebellion in this playthrough) moment in a very strange timeline.  After uniting Italy, Rome focused literally all their efforts expanding directly East as far as possible into the Balkans, Greece, and modern-day Austria and Czech Republic, and Thrace.  However, they fucked up bad in the first 40 turns or so: the Semones (or whatever their name is) somehow managed to conquer Rome and hold it for an entire turn.  Ever since then, despite re-capturing their titular city, the capital of Rome has been Neapolis.... So, I guess they are technically the Neapolitan Empire now?   :2funny:  So anyways, the glorious Neapolitan Empire has devolved into some crazy six-way civil war that I have no intention of entangling myself in.

Also, hilariously enough, Parisii conquered most of Britain and wiped out all the indigenous tribes (except the Picts, who just sort of collapsed and vanished into obscurity).  Didn't see that one coming.

EDIT:  Also, as a random side-note, I noticed that rebel factions can fight each other (i.e. Semitic Rebel regions and armies will be allied with each other, but hostile towards Desertic Rebel regions and armies).  What an awesome feature.  Goddamn I love this game.

Almost every game I have played SP and everyone I am engaged in MP has mini dramas like this all over the map.

It is a truly special game.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

al_infierno

Another thing I discovered today.

Apparently as a monarchy your leader can get the ol' Robert Barratheon  :o

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Sir Slash

Uh oh. That Philemon guy could be trouble. Does he hunt too?  ^-^   Just saying.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

Apologies if this has been discussed, and if there is somewhere I can pull the info up please let me know, but:

How does this game compare to the Paradox Rome game (the new one)?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Tripoli

Here are some reviews:
Imperitor: Rome
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/imperator-rome
https://www.strategygamer.com/reviews/imperator-rome/
https://www.pcinvasion.com/imperator-rome-review/

FoGII-Empires
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/field-of-glory-empires
https://www.softpedia.com/reviews/games/pc/field-of-glory-empires-review-526699.shtml
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/07/12/field-of-glory-empires/
https://www.strategygamer.com/reviews/field-of-glory-empires-review/

I have both, but haven't played Imperitor nearly as much.  I was a Beta tester for Empires, so I am also a bit biased towards it.  IMHO, Empires is more fun, more engaging, than Imperitor.  It gives you that "one more turn" feeling that I don't get from Imperitor.  If you like FoGII, the ability to resolve your battles is a very nice feature.  IMHO, the MP feature in Empires is easier than imperitor.   WHile the political system and diplomatic system isn't as developed as Imperitor, it is adequate.   If  your gaming time is limited, you will get more "bang for your buck" with Empires
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

Agreed with all phases and clauses in Tripoli's comparison.

Naturally another big difference is that Imperator is pausible continuous, while FogEmp is purely turn based. Imperator looks a lot better, but they have more experience (and probably devs) to work from.

I like them both a lot, but I flit from place to place so if it wasn't for the mp game (which being turn-based FogEmp has a clear advantage on) I don't know that I'd play FogEmp more than the other.

I rather expect that over time, Paradox will do more with Imp, but who knows for sure? Not a lot was done with Victoria 2, and the same specific dev worked on Imperator; and indeed he clarified at one point that he intended to release Imperator feature complete as with Vicky2. (But there were still a few expansions of course.) The impression so far is that Imperator won't have the same expansion-itis as CK2/EU4 or even HOI4.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

It occurs to me that I should pick a minor nation available in all three general campaigns -- Imp, FogEmp, and Aggressors -- and play a comparison game between them for a video AAR...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 29, 2019, 12:57:39 PM
Agreed with all phases and clauses in Tripoli's comparison.

I like them both a lot, but I flit from place to place so if it wasn't for the mp game (which being turn-based FogEmp has a clear advantage on) I don't know that I'd play FogEmp more than the other.

I'm playing a game vs. the AI right now, using FoGII to auto-resolve the combat.  My last conscious thought last night after I went to bed was trying to decide how to to flank the Etruscans.  This game is taking over my life...... :)
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Sir Slash

You say that like it's a bad thing.  :o
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

The idea of being able to resolve the battles in FOG2 is pretty intriguing. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

It's great, lots of fun - but a time sink. Be prepared. I also really like how the battles get played out in MP using the FoG2 engine to make a sort of movie. Hard to explain if you haven't seen it but it is smooth and cool to watch.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Aren't the battles when played out in FoG 2 quite long? Can you save a game while in FoG 2?