Thor: Ragnarok

Started by Martok, April 10, 2017, 10:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

HAMMER TIME!

Not worthy.  :notworthy:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Saw it today and I gotta say it'd be really hard to do a superhero movie better than this one. I was afraid they were going to turn Thor into a stand-up comic but while it is very funny in places it quickly switches from funny to dramatic to sad in a couple of places without missing a beat. Lots of moving pieces and lots of characters but everybody works into the film well and gets some good scenes and facetime/ personal story stuff. Great action scenes, even better fight scenes, and Thor vs Hulk is a classic. And an ending I totally didn't see coming that I didn't like but, leaves you really wondering what's coming next in the Marvel Universe. Couple of good cameos and two end scenes-don't miss them and Kate Blanchard is the sexiest bad God you've EVER. And Valkyrie is totally a badass. I'd have to look real hard to find something I didn't like. That's why I'd give it a solid 9 outta 10. My 2 cents.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

jamus34

Agree with sir slash. Probably the most fun I've had with the MCU in a long while. Not too much weakness here and the humor never felt overly forced. Plus the cameo during the scene on the square was cinematic gold.

Insert witty comment here.

Sir Slash

Forgot what for some of you will be THE selling point. We get a 'Hulk-Butt' scene.  ???   If this does sell you on going, probably swing by your therapist just after.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Excellent flick. One of the top MCU movies. Far and away the best of the Thors. In fact, the first really good Thor.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

I went to see this again yesterday and was again blown away. Very funny. Very well acted and good story too. Huge thumbs up  O0
Alba gu' brath

airboy

My wife and I saw it tonight and both enjoyed it.  Worth seeing on the big screen.

JasonPratt

Agreed, although Dad and Bro and I had to sit too close which made a lot of the action incomprehensible.

I was surprised that the "Thor 3" retro 80s commercial that Marvel (or someone?) did for the film, actually fit the general tone of the music. It was very Vangelis (or maybe TangDream).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

Saw it the Sunday after it came out.  Loved every minute of it.  A pity it took Marvel three tries before they came up with a Thor film that was actually good, but I'll take it. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

OJsDad

Finally got to see it this afternoon.  Great movie.  Both kids and wife liked it, so that's always a big plus.  Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston have nailed their roles since they were first introduced. 

And Tessa Thompson is absolutely hot, second only to ScarJo in the MCU. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Sir Slash

Any film that can work Hulk-Butt into a scene has got to be taken seriously.

OJsDad

NM
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

besilarius

I think Thor is so good because the Director, Taiki Waititi, is a very good storyteller.
Looked up his other film, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, and it shows the same careful mix of humor, adventure, and pathos.
If you liked Thor, you might like Wilderpeople.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.