IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Started by Johnnie, February 03, 2018, 10:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnie

Just installed this.  I can fly with keyboard but not with Joystick.  I don't have this problem with other iterations of IL 2 Sturm.  Anyone know how I can get this sim to recognize the Joystick?

Johnnie

Never mind; found the answer on Steam Discussions in download menu.

MengJiao

Quote from: Johnnie on February 04, 2018, 12:55:17 AM
Never mind; found the answer on Steam Discussions in download menu.

Back in the Beaufighter:

Dammit Carl!

Need to get this one of these days as the Battle of Britain is my thing.

MengJiao

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on October 03, 2018, 12:21:03 PM

I think the "Blitz" version has all the Fusion mods built in and it is basically pretty fantastic.  I know there are complaints about campaigns -- but I haven't done any campaigns in any flight sims since my days in the I-16 (cranking up the landing gear) in the original IL-2 over a decade ago.

So I usually set up battles in the Editor...the editor is a lot like the editor in the original Il-2.

Skoop

The AI still stinks from what I hear.

I jumped into WOTR which is promising but still needs a lot of work.  The AI is good in WOTR, but I feel it is severly limited from the engine in re creating some of those big 100 plane raids.  It's like they bolted the frame work on from WOFF, so you come across the same 9 geman bombers everytime.

Playing WOTR just made me long for a modern redo of Rowan's battle of britan WOV.  I would have rather the WOFF/ WOTR guys had just bought the rights or teamed up with the guys continuing BOB WOV and just modernized the graphics in that.  Nothing is ever going to beat that sim in capturing the essence of the Battle of Britain.

MengJiao

Quote from: Skoop on October 03, 2018, 07:18:44 PM
The AI still stinks from what I hear.

I jumped into WOTR which is promising but still needs a lot of work.  The AI is good in WOTR, but I feel it is severly limited from the engine in re creating some of those big 100 plane raids.  It's like they bolted the frame work on from WOFF, so you come across the same 9 geman bombers everytime.

Playing WOTR just made me long for a modern redo of Rowan's battle of britan WOV.  I would have rather the WOFF/ WOTR guys had just bought the rights or teamed up with the guys continuing BOB WOV and just modernized the graphics in that.  Nothing is ever going to beat that sim in capturing the essence of the Battle of Britain.

Yes, the AI isn't spectacular, though lately for some random reason it has done better in my scenarios than BoX (which can dive into the ground some times like the AI in CloD used to do on the ACE settings).  Some of the problems seem to have been fixed but enough remain for Version 5 to make a point of fixing (I'm not sure what the problems are).

MengJiao

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on October 03, 2018, 12:21:03 PM

Hurricanes heading south, angels 10, 8:35 am:

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 04, 2018, 01:35:21 PM
Very pretty.

Thanks!  In some ways this is the best-looking flight sim out there at the moment.

Dammit Carl!

Sir Slash

I wish I was better at flight sims, I never got around to trying one with a joystick though, but I pretty much just suck at them. I'm much more of a stealthy sub mariner type.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 05, 2018, 10:54:22 AM
I wish I was better at flight sims, I never got around to trying one with a joystick though, but I pretty much just suck at them. I'm much more of a stealthy sub mariner type.

I'm pretty bad at most games -- which might be why I enjoy them, I guess, so flight sims seem no worse than most games for me.  I do get good at some random games (even some flight seems sometimes)...for example in certain FPS games I get really good with say the GreaseGun or the Sten gun or the Thompson and get really good at sneaking up behind people and emptying a clip into their backs.  O!  The Humanity!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: MengJiao on October 05, 2018, 11:24:24 AM
...and get really good at sneaking up behind people and emptying a clip magazine into their backs.  O!  The Humanity!

There...fixed it for you.  :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 05, 2018, 03:56:06 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on October 05, 2018, 11:24:24 AM
...and get really good at sneaking up behind people and emptying a clip magazine into their backs.  O!  The Humanity!

There...fixed it for you.  :crazy2:

Magazine just sounds so BIG.  Clip -- you know -- under 41 bullets or so.