Israeli General Elections

Started by Tpek, April 09, 2019, 06:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

Today is Israel's General Elections, if it interests anyone here (aside from myself).
The day that determines whether we're stuck with Netanyahu as the Prime Minister (or Crime Minister as we love calling him) for a while longer or get someone to finally replace him.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Tpek on April 09, 2019, 06:15:16 AM
or Crime Minister as we love calling him

Witch hunt, hoax, fake news, ...  >:D

The same people in power for to long is almost never a good thing.
But even when he loses he still is more likely to get a coalition with some of the small parties than Gantz.

Jarhead0331

Today is Israel's General Elections, if it interests anyone here (aside from myself).
The day that determines whether we're stuck with Netanyahu as the Prime Minister (or Crime Minister as we love calling him) for a while longer or get someone to finally replace him.

Don't the majority of Israelis, despite the corruption allegations, approve of his performance as PM? It is not like he is the first Israeli PM to be accused of corruption. Perhaps Israel would do better with someone who isn't a patriotic war hero dedicated to Israel's national security and booming economy? 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 09, 2019, 08:36:28 AM

Don't the majority of Israelis, despite the corruption allegations, approve of his performance as PM? It is not like he is the first Israeli PM to be accused of corruption. Perhaps Israel would do better with someone who isn't a patriotic war hero dedicated to Israel's national security and booming economy?

Netanyahu isn't patriotic, a war hero, and is in no way dedicated to anything but himself and his family.
I mean for pete's sake, some of the allegations against him (with a lot of evidence, proof, testimonies and witnesses) are of major crimes against national security and outright treason.

As for the majority, he does have a very large group of supporters, but far from the majority, and there's a chance he'll lose the elections (even through he's been cheating and breaking every rule and law regarding them).

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tpek on April 09, 2019, 10:20:42 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 09, 2019, 08:36:28 AM

Netanyahu isn't patriotic, a war hero, and is in no way dedicated to anything but himself and his family.
I mean for pete's sake, some of the allegations against him (with a lot of evidence, proof, testimonies and witnesses) are of major crimes against national security and outright treason.

As for the majority, he does have a very large group of supporters, but far from the majority, and there's a chance he'll lose the elections (even through he's been cheating and breaking every rule and law regarding them).

I'm quite taken aback, and think it takes some nerve for you to discredit his military service to the nation of Israel and your willingness to do so clearly shows a strong political bias.

For six years prior to 1967, Netanyahu resided in the US where he was attending high school. He did not need to return to Israel, but he did so anyway in order to enlist in the IDF where he trained as a combat soldier and served for five years in Sayeret Matkal. He took part in numerous cross-border assault raids during the 1967–70 War of Attrition, rising to become a team-leader in the unit. He was wounded in combat on multiple occasions and was involved in many other missions, including Operation Inferno (1968), and the rescue of the hijacked Sabena Flight 571 in May 1972 in which he was shot in the shoulder.

All that and you deny he is a hero? Putting aside the allegations of corruption, and even in Israel there is a presumption of innocence, why deny his past courage and sacrifice? The question is rhetorical...I know the answer.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Sir Slash

I'm a 'Benni' fan too. And not just because I can't spell his last name. I think he's been good for Isreal and her relationship with the U.S. It may be time for new leadership but I don't think you can consider it better leadership just because it is new. My 2 cents.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Pete Dero

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 09, 2019, 10:50:13 AM
For six years prior to 1967, Netanyahu resided in the US where he was attending high school. He did not need to return to Israel, but he did so anyway in order to enlist in the IDF where he trained as a combat soldier and served for five years in Sayeret Matkal. He took part in numerous cross-border assault raids during the 1967–70 War of Attrition, rising to become a team-leader in the unit. He was wounded in combat on multiple occasions and was involved in many other missions, including Operation Inferno (1968), and the rescue of the hijacked Sabena Flight 571 in May 1972 in which he was shot in the shoulder.

According to multiple sources (people who served with him), he was never wounded in combat and never participated in any daring rescue. During his time at the commando unit, he was more of a reckless troublemaker that even at some point started blowing up parked civilian jetcraft at a Lebanese airport for fun.

The "Shot in the shoulder" thing was after the Sabena rescue when he finally arrived at the scene to get into the pictures (for the credit), and some gun-safety problem caused someone to to discharge a bullet that passed him by and did nothing more than spook him for a second.

There are no records of him receiving proper commendations/medals, and it seems the only reason he got into that elite unit is because of his late brother, who is actually a national hero (he died in combat during the daring raid on the Entebe airport in Uganda to free the hostages).

And the biggest insult of all, is how Netanyahu treats actual combat veterans and fallen soldiers, making fun of and belittling their heroics.

And Bias? As someone who had to live under his regime for decades, see all the corruption and crimes he commits, see the despicable and illegitimate ways to gain power, and see how godawful he is at managing the nation (there's barely a single major thing that he hasn't turned into a complete disaster), how he constantly attacks and tries to silence the media (who only do their job of reporting what is going on) and his never ending lies, yes, I have a bias against him and I'll be happy to see him go. Jail or no jail, I just want this country to get back on track into being a proper first world democracy rather than the third world banana republic he's turning us into.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tpek on April 09, 2019, 02:07:18 PM

According to multiple sources (people who served with him), he was never wounded in combat and never participated in any daring rescue. During his time at the commando unit, he was more of a reckless troublemaker that even at some point started blowing up parked civilian jetcraft at a Lebanese airport for fun.

The "Shot in the shoulder" thing was after the Sabena rescue when he finally arrived at the scene to get into the pictures (for the credit), and some gun-safety problem caused someone to to discharge a bullet that passed him by and did nothing more than spook him for a second.

There are no records of him receiving proper commendations/medals, and it seems the only reason he got into that elite unit is because of his late brother, who is actually a national hero (he died in combat during the daring raid on the Entebe airport in Uganda to free the hostages).

And the biggest insult of all, is how Netanyahu treats actual combat veterans and fallen soldiers, making fun of and belittling their heroics.

And Bias? As someone who had to live under his regime for decades, see all the corruption and crimes he commits, see the despicable and illegitimate ways to gain power, and see how godawful he is at managing the nation (there's barely a single major thing that he hasn't turned into a complete disaster), how he constantly attacks and tries to silence the media (who only do their job of reporting what is going on) and his never ending lies, yes, I have a bias against him and I'll be happy to see him go. Jail or no jail, I just want this country to get back on track into being a proper first world democracy rather than the third world banana republic he's turning us into.

Other than some general political attacks and claims made by his challenger, I can not find a single source on the internet verifying a single one of your claims. i cannot find a single independent source verifying any one of your allegations, or any account of his service that describes it as anything other than distinguished. I'll be happy to review any legitimate source you have access to.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 09, 2019, 02:19:47 PM
Quote from: Tpek on April 09, 2019, 02:07:18 PM

Other than some general political attacks and claims made by his challenger, I can not find a single source on the internet verifying a single one of your claims. i cannot find a single independent source verifying any one of your allegations, or any account of his service that describes it as anything other than distinguished. I'll be happy to review any legitimate source you have access to.

There are plenty if you can read Hebrew.

Tpek

So far it's a pretty tight race between Netanyahu and Gantz, it seems they might have to form what we call a unity government.

Sir Slash

I called him, 'Benni'.  #:-)  It's, 'Bebe' Slash.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Pete Dero

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-47876539

PM Benjamin Netanyahu is likely to secure a record fifth term after almost complete results from Israel's election suggest a new right-wing coalition.

His Likud party is expected to finish with a similar number of seats as ex-military chief Benny Gantz's centrist Blue and White alliance.

But Likud and right-wing allies are set to be the largest bloc with 65 seats in the 120-seat Knesset, local media said.

Very close results.

Anguille