Steel Division 2 Brings Single Player Strategic map campaign similar to totalwar

Started by Destraex, August 25, 2018, 04:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Rayfer on July 17, 2019, 06:58:33 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 16, 2019, 06:48:56 PM
Haven't even bought it yet...  :hide:

And in today's gaming world I'll wait until the Winter holiday sales and get it with a hefty discount.

It's 33% off with a DCL on Steam at the moment

Destraex

Well now that the addon is out I have Das Wiking and Herman Goring setup for a little coop with some mates. The Polish Divisions don't look anywhere near as enticing. One has German Tigers and other captured kit though.

The campaign tutorials also look like they will be worth doing before I continue my campaign games.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

ok. I am starting a campaign in this game finally. Why now? Because I finally went and experimented with the save system to ensure I can save anytime anywhere in the campaign. You would think it would be easy right? Think again. Unless you are in your turn in the correct screen, not in a battle results screen or anything, you cannot use the normal save. You have to use the quick save via the keyboard shortcut F5. Next time you press F5 your save will be written over. This means if you are playing three campaigns or want to save before exiting because you are interrupted during a tactical battle your single quicksave file keeps getting written over. Not ideal, because you cannot go back if real life intervenes or you forget your one quicksave slot was used for another campaign. That just got wiped.

So what you do is:
1. Press F5 anytime you want to quicksave or save a game.
2. Exit to the main menu and go to your saved campaign games
3. Their is a rename button at the bottom right of the saved campaigns game screen. Find it.
4. Highlight your quicksave save, called quicksave, in the list
5. Press rename and rename the save to a name of your choosing
6. Use the save to load back into the game
7. Pressing quicksave again the next time you want to save will create a new quicksave file in the list called quicksave

See it's simple. Why could Eugen not just add a shortcut for real saves in game or let us press ESC and have the option to save game in that area? Because the conventional "save game" is greyed out a lot of the time. However the quicksave shortcut F5 works anywhere anytime.

The other day I set a tactical battle up. Took me 30 minutes to place all my defensive structures (trenches, barbed wire, bunkers etc), then I needed to go. This would have been useful knowledge then.

Posting here in case it helps others.

One question for those that may know. What do the reserves in brackets do in phase C? The tutorial says that numbers in brackets in the reserves column for a unit can arrive in subsequent phases. But I have seen brackets in the last phase. Phase C. This is really something to be worked out.

Barthheart

Thanks for the save tip.

I really should fire this game up since I bought at the X-mas sale.....

(Why can I not use the smileys any more?!? I'm using Edge and never had any trouble before the Crash of 2020. In fact it seems I can't use any of the formatting stuff either... try to italics this line)

Destraex

You should. It's a great game.

My battle campaign tonight, only lost a few units, but still not good for the campaign in general, need those units:
Funnily enough my artillery regiment 105mm guns proved fairly inneffective at doing anything but suppressing the enemy mortars. They did not seem to be able to kill them.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

They had 3 rifle regiments. I took 1 grenadier regiment, 1 artillery regiment which was mainly artillery pieces and observers and an air recon regt... which only had about 10 planes in it. THose aircraft were mainly recon bf\me109s which were very lightly armed.
I assume they had a lot more men than I did? How can you tell I outnumbered them?

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

I get you now. No I was playing the germans and was able to use trenches, barbed wire, at emplacements etc to shore up my lines against the attacking hordes. So even outnumbered it was not too hard. Especially since the enemy had no aircraft to support them this time.
Each turn represents a half day. As I have used both my aircraft regiments this turn. Not sure I will get them back in the afternoons turn. I can stop an enemy unit from moving by using a campaign map bombard feature with either artillery or aircraft as well. I have learned. But then they are not available for tactical battle use. Its rather like using them either at the strategic or tactical command level. That and using my recon squadron at the strategic level, which I havr not tried yet. Not tried using points to bring on teenforcmenets yet either.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

A devs reply to the question of replenishing units in campaign mode. So every unit I destroy in tactical battles aint coming back.

"No, there is no way to replenish battalions.
The Soviet had a tradition of never replenishing units during combat operations: they would waste a brigade completely before pulling its remanants out and then rest & refit them.
As for the Germans, they usually did, but from the start of Bagration, their supply chain was broken or bypassed by the Soviets very quickly, and battalions usually liveed (and often died) by themselves.

Ingame, a battalion shouldn't be left with nothing: it is considered spent and destroyed when down to under 30% or 25% of its original strength."

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd