Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics

Started by ghostryder, March 08, 2017, 06:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

The 2nd one is the one I read. Great book. Will look further to further into that first one - thanks for the link.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ghostryder

Quote from: MengJiao on March 13, 2017, 08:38:42 PM
Quote from: ghostryder on March 11, 2017, 09:06:28 PM

And in this latest game as I map the stars and learn the mysteries I'll marry all my daughters, have my concubines and drive Islam away and restore Persia to it's rightful glory. Why anyone doesn't see the fun of that is beyond me.

Restoring Persia sounds fun, but I bought the DLC and I'm the Holy Roman Emperor in 1081.  Of course the really notorious HRE Emperor who was very far into arcana, Rudolf II, was a late Renaissance figure.  On the other hand, the aristocratic families that were very proud of their demonic ancestors (in some cases counting Wodin/Odin or even Wada the (Supernatural) smith...extend from the early middle ages (the Merovingian Sea- Monster ancestor and Mesuline) clear to the Angevins.  So the demonic thing is really more "historical" than it sounds at first audition.

Restoring Persia is lots of fun. i've yet done it. There's only one count that is the Zotoroastrian faith at the the early age and your a vassal of a huge Muslim leader. So first thing up is to not get slaughtered. but build up enough provinces until you can fight for your independence. Using religious claims is suicide as it'll draw all the muslims down on you. you must then slowly wait to get claims one by one.

After that you need to spread to the 5 holy sites to restore the church -- Playing as Zoro is now harder due to shattered retreat so holy warring Samanids with initial troops is no longer advised. You need lots of coin to max out merc hiring. And even then it's damn tough. Restore the High Priesthood and become the Saoshyant.

Rulers can marry close relatives, which gives the ruler an opinion bonus (+5) with Zoroastrian vassals. I frequently marry sisters and use daughters as Concubines. And when I give land to sons I marry them to their sisters.

With Monks and Mystics, Mazdan rulers are permitted to join the Hermetic Society. But it's still a tough go--requires a lot of luck along with strategy.

MengJiao

Quote from: ghostryder on March 15, 2017, 04:54:20 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on March 13, 2017, 08:38:42 PM
Quote from: ghostryder on March 11, 2017, 09:06:28 PM

And in this latest game as I map the stars and learn the mysteries I'll marry all my daughters, have my concubines and drive Islam away and restore Persia to it's rightful glory. Why anyone doesn't see the fun of that is beyond me.

Restoring Persia sounds fun, but I bought the DLC and I'm the Holy Roman Emperor in 1081.  Of course the really notorious HRE Emperor who was very far into arcana, Rudolf II, was a late Renaissance figure.  On the other hand, the aristocratic families that were very proud of their demonic ancestors (in some cases counting Wodin/Odin or even Wada the (Supernatural) smith...extend from the early middle ages (the Merovingian Sea- Monster ancestor and Mesuline) clear to the Angevins.  So the demonic thing is really more "historical" than it sounds at first audition.

Restoring Persia is lots of fun. i've yet done it. There's only one count that is the Zotoroastrian faith at the the early age and your a vassal of a huge Muslim leader. So first thing up is to not get slaughtered. but build up enough provinces until you can fight for your independence. Using religious claims is suicide as it'll draw all the muslims down on you. you must then slowly wait to get claims one by one.

After that you need to spread to the 5 holy sites to restore the church -- Playing as Zoro is now harder due to shattered retreat so holy warring Samanids with initial troops is no longer advised. You need lots of coin to max out merc hiring. And even then it's damn tough. Restore the High Priesthood and become the Saoshyant.

Rulers can marry close relatives, which gives the ruler an opinion bonus (+5) with Zoroastrian vassals. I frequently marry sisters and use daughters as Concubines. And when I give land to sons I marry them to their sisters.

With Monks and Mystics, Mazdan rulers are permitted to join the Hermetic Society. But it's still a tough go--requires a lot of luck along with strategy.

A worthy cause, but far beyond my abilities.  I'm barely hanging on as Holy Roman Emperor.  The Pope hates me.  My council is discontented.  The Investiture Contest is coming up.  I let Matilda take Tuscany -- go take it.  Quit scaring the council!

Nefaro

Quote from: ghostryder on March 15, 2017, 04:54:20 PM

The two times I attempted the Zoroastrian leader, the surrounding Muslims all started attacking me in short order.   :buck2:

Maybe the start is a bit smoother now, since that was a few DLC packs and patches ago? 

I really wanted to do the Persian thing but the start was just a huge dog pile.  Watched a vid of Arumba's start on it, to get an idea of how to survive and improve, but my situation just never went that good and he still had to fight like a madman to survive for awhile.  I gave up after getting my ass kicked too much.   :hide:

OJsDad

Ok, going to slightly hijack this thread.

I'm playing with all the DLC, except M&M.  Playing as Poland, I've made Kiev my capital.  Converted it to Polish and Catholic (my religion).  How do I turn the tribe in Kiev to a Castle so I can then adopt feudalism.  Yes, I have a stone hill fort.

NM, I didn't need the castle to convert.  I was dealing with a revolt and needed to be at peace first. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

ghostryder

The DLC helps because you can get a few points into diplomancy at times...but overall it's learning points you earn. I'm at 810 a.d. in my current game with seven provinces. Still a tiny speck surrounded by giant empires who hate me. And i just received a pop-up about the Zoroastrian religion is now concidered heretic. I have only 1 holy site and the others are several provinces away. Nail biting time :pullhair: