The Infamous PS3 80029940 error -- simply solved (no changes needed)

Started by JasonPratt, December 20, 2017, 10:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Never even heard of this error before. Apparently it strikes PS3 blu-ray players rarely, only when playing Blus but could be videos or games either one. The system just straight refuses to boot up the disc, goes to black a few seconds, reloads the PS3 menu from scratch, and throws up "this disc cannot be played (Error 80029940)".

Doesn't matter how many other blus you've played before, or can still play now. Doesn't matter whether you've played this blu before, although I know for a fact I've watched it at least once -- downstairs on an old Magnavox blu player a few years ago! -- and maybe on this PS3, too.

In my case, the blu was the Battlestar Galactica prequel film "Blood and Chrome" (the unrated version), which I thought would compliment my purchase tonight, finally, of the Deadlock game (with my yearly customer loyalty coupon plus Christmas discount -- less than $20 for the game and its expansion! Though weirdly, Matrixlitherine doesn't offer Steam codes on it yet even though they sold the game from its release on Steam and still do!  #:-) )

Anyway, after searching around, and carefully trying various reversable video setting changes, I found an easy solution that worked for me without risking changing my settings: I went to the film's icon on the desktop, then pressed the triangle button on my remote (same as for the controller) bringing up the desktop menu for the icon. Only two options there, play and play from beginning. The one to choose is play from beginning.

Boom, it worked, flawlessly.

I offer this as an archive in case anyone runs into the same problem. Other solutions which try and sometimes work, probably amount to the same thing (like resetting the PS3 to factory settings), but it's hard to tell. Other solutions sometimes don't work, and I have no idea yet whether this sometimes fails, too. But it worked this time, at no risk to my settings, so...!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

He's got a million of'em. He was a big hit on the Yiddish comedy circuit back in the 30s.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

bbmike

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak