RAF Lion ... Decision Games BoB computer game

Started by Zulu1966, November 22, 2016, 04:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Ted

Quote from: Boggit on November 23, 2016, 02:02:56 PM
@Zulu and JD

Did you not also get hammered with import tax, as well as the postage? Sometimes the tax can be more painful than the postage.

Quite a few years back I bought Over Flanders Fields first payware from across the pond and it remains the most I've ever paid for a videogame (in one go).  I think about 30% was postage and tax.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Boggit on November 23, 2016, 02:02:56 PM
@Zulu and JD

Did you not also get hammered with import tax, as well as the postage? Sometimes the tax can be more painful than the postage.

Not on Tarawa which I got the other day. It seems quite random what they pick up on.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

MikeGER

i didn't paid any taxes or custom at all on the two items i ordered separately from Decision Games.
i guess the value was below the EU-threshold. but custom still had to 'inspected' (usually x-ray like at the airport) the envelopes if they don't contain anything expensive or verboten in addition

Geezer

I still have the original RAF boardgame designed by John Butterfield and published in 1986 by West End Games.  Had many a fun night playing it some 30 years ago.  Might have to read the rules and play it again for old times sake.

Edit - My first post here?  Been lurking for years.   :)
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Barthheart

Quote from: Geezer on November 24, 2016, 10:13:51 AM
I still have the original RAF boardgame designed by John Butterfield and published in 1986 by West End Games.  Had many a fun night playing it some 30 years ago.  Might have to read the rules and play it again for old times sake.

Edit - My first post here?  Been lurking for years.   :)

Welcome!  :)

Geezer

Quote from: Barthheart on November 24, 2016, 10:38:48 AM

Welcome!  :)

Thanks.  Some of you know me as elmo3 from the Matrix forums or Lee Elmendorf from The Wargamer forums.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Michael_Olsen

Hi people,

I just stumbled upon this thread, and being the guy who created the software I thought I would drop by.
To tell the truth I do not normally venture too far away from boardgamegeek, but I will try to check this thread from time to time.

It seems like the questions about the product has been answered by now. It is basically a faithful recreation of the boardgame, "Lion" part only (so far, see below).
My aim was to facilitate playing the boardgame in a faster manner, allowing the user to spend his/her time on making important gameplay decisions rather than controlling the AI.
Do not get me wrong, controlling the AI is not necesarily a "bad" thing, but sometimes you just want to play a faster game, maybe to try out some strategy.

Yes, it is shipped as a CD-ROM. For what reason I honestly do not know. I am not involved in those decisions.

Quote from: MikeGER on November 22, 2016, 05:55:25 AMi hope the programmer Michael Olsen makes the Eagle version too real fast.

We are right now looking for beta testers of the Eagle version. I believe you can find an email address to contact here: https://decisiongames.com/wpsite/whats-new/
Currently the introductory scenario can be played, and the other scenarios should be added soon(-ish).

Please be aware that Eagle requires a larger screen than Lion. This is because where in Lion it made sense to move pieces on a digital version of the map, in Eagle you would be moving from one end of the map to the other a lot of the time. If you did not zoom in you could not see what you were doing, and if you did zoom in you could not access both ends of the map.
Therefore I opted to use more dialogs, but they tend to obscure the map beneath them (the map beneath is used as a reference for which areas to bomb etc.).

In any case, I wish you all good gaming, boardgame or pc-version.

stolypin

I'm not that interested in the Lion version but I'll be a first-day buyer of the Eagle version.  As I posted previously, I played the board game version a couple of years ago and enjoyed it -- except that I found the system very challenging.  I expect the computer version will alleviate that issue.