#TBT: Gaming Nostalgia!

Started by bayonetbrant, July 14, 2015, 09:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I remember when Space: 1889 first came out and being completely perplexed by the concept and mocking it.  Then, a few years later I discovered the wonders of the Victorian era and dove head first into the game.  We had a lot of fun playing it (and me GMing it) but most of us were more interested in settings on Earth than in the whole Martian/Venusian sci-fi aspects of the game.  Still have all my books for the game but sadly the miniatures have long since disappeared. 

BanzaiCat

I never could get into Space: 1889. I liked Gamma World a lot more but couldn't find players or gaming groups.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Gamma World always seemed a little to cheezy for my tastes.  If I was going to play a post-apocalyptic RPG, I preferred Aftermath.

JasonPratt

Sixteen Kilobytes for the Avalon Hill games in today's entry.

Sixteen.

Sixteen.

Sixteeeeennnnnn

It is entirely possible that... wait, hold on... (attaching doc file)

The doc file attached below is 20 KB in size. (Or 19, estimates differ.)

It consists entirely of a text reading, and I quote:

Quote16 KB

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Of course, I programmed code for an ad hoc means of calculating combat for Red Arrow, Black Shield, back in that day, on a Kaypro II, so I know that could really amount to, what, sixteen thousand lines of code? Sixteen thousand characters of code?

It's just uncanny that an empty text doc today takes up more space than a full game back in those days.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Barthheart

I had NA Raiders, B-1 Bomber and Midway... all running on my C-64.
I even when into the code, it was just basic and not even compiled, and hacked around changing things to make the games harder/more interesting.

Good time.  O0

Silent Disapproval Robot

West End Games.  Man, I bought a lot of their stuff back in the day.  I liked Air Cav a lot but always had trouble getting anyone to play.  I liked the initiative system in Fire Team but felt the game itself was a bit lacking.  Soldiers seemed like it could be fun but that's one I never managed to get on the table.

I also bought pretty much all their Star Wars RPG stuff and still have a fair amount of it in a container somewhere.  (I also bought their Ghostbusters RPG....bad idea...)

mirth

I had a fair amount of the West End Star Wars stuff. Think I gave it all away. Stupid, stupid, stupid!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

today's nerdiness is a glimpse into "if Mirth was a grown-up in the 80s"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

I had forgotten just how far back Epyx went. Ah, ye Temple of Apshai -- a game updated several times afterward iirc.

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 10, 2016, 09:59:20 AM
today's nerdiness is a glimpse into "if Mirth was a grown-up in the 80s"

Hell, I'm not a grown-up now.

BanzaiCat

WEG was indeed awesome. I loved Air Cav, but I too was never able to play it other than solo.

I was especially a huge fan of Paranoia, the very sick and twisted RPG that WEG put out. I still have all the books. Loved loved the sense of humor in those.

bayonetbrant

We even found a TANKSgiving one for y'all ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 24, 2016, 10:43:58 AM
We even found a TANKSgiving one for y'all ;)

I suppose I have to go all the way to the front page to see it <sigh>