2018 Running Football Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, February 10, 2018, 09:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Congrats to Alabama for winning a very tough SEC championship game.

MetalDog

That was a great, story book ending! My guess for the final four is 'Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame and Oklahoma.  I know it wouldn't happen, but, I'd like to see Georgia play Clemson and Alabama play Oklahoma.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

airboy

I concur with your guess on the football playoff teams.  Sucks for Georgia who are probably much better than Oklahoma.  But life is not fair.

Steelgrave

Alabama vs. Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl, Clemson vs. Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl.

Man, I love my Sooners but I'm afraid they won't be much more than a speed bump for Alabama.

Sir Slash

I thought I was watching the Animal Channel last night, watching a bunch of tigers killing elephants but turned-out I had the wrong channel, I was watching ESPN instead.  :o
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

I hosted poker, made the chili recipe I posted, and had 10 players and 2 nonplaying guests.  Had 2 TVs, one on each side of the table.  Since the game was in Auburn, people's response to the game ranged from mildly happy to ecstatically happy.

Sir Slash

Isn't it hard to play poker and watch football at the same time?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 08, 2019, 07:37:00 PM
Isn't it hard to play poker and watch football at the same time?

I have never lost when a major football game was playing during poker.  I think some of the others are more distracted than I.

Sir Slash

I see. I applaud your use of miss-direction for personal profit.  O0

Con

Is that how you won a spaceship at Sabacc

Sir Slash

I think you're onto something there Con. Was there a football game playing in the background when Solo won the Falcon? Or it could be Airboy spikes the chili too.

airboy

Statistically speaking, I have a positive expectation when I sit down to play.  I can calculate odds in my head, don't drink much (the diabetes handles that one), and know to occasionally do crazy things so I don't become too predictable.  But this is all in a low stakes game where people don't really care if they end up dropping $30.  Still, two of us have a strong positive expectation and two others have a strong negative expectation - but they get away from their spouses and drink with their buddies.

This is mostly social poker, sort of like social wargaming and social RPGs.  I want to do my best and avoid doing something I know is dumb - but I really don't care if I end up losing.  My wife calls our games "the mens drinking, joke and lie telling social group with gambling."  We are blessed that I'm a good cook and one of the other guys is an outstanding cook.

You start playing high stakes poker and it becomes work.  Screw that, I'm retired.

Sir Slash

Cute video and sadly true. I learned a long time ago the way to enjoy gambling is to never bet more that you're prepared to lose. I loved getting hammered at the local dog track while betting $2 a race, I never cared when I lost.

Con

Thats because you were betting on a pug to win