1st World Board Gaming Problems...

Started by Bison, July 13, 2015, 10:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 14, 2015, 10:22:02 PM
Quote from: Toonces on July 14, 2015, 10:09:40 PMSo I'm looking for options. 

http://geekchichq.com/the-sultan-gaming-table.html

20 grand for a table?  Are you out of your mind?   :o  My new Impreza was only 25k.  Hell, I'll just buy another Impreza and game in that!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

In all seriousness, though, I was enjoying GJK's table thread.  I'm thinking of something more like that, or perhaps just going totally ghetto.  When I lived in Monterey I built a desk for my garage out of a plain, one-piece door and four 2x4's nailed into it for legs.  As crappy as that sounds, it was incredibly functional and had plenty of desk space.  Total price was like $100 or something...maybe more like $70. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

BanzaiCat

The TableTop channel on YouTube, where Wil Wheaton plays boardgames with famous people (more or less famous among geeks and nerds, anyway), uses a Geek Chic table. I thought it was a pretty cool thing, until I looked up the price tag. Apparently boardgame nerds have tons of disposable income.

Barthheart

GeekChic always brings a selection of tables, including the Sultan, to Origins. You can reserve time to play games on them and they are always packed. They look just as great in person as they do in pictures.

Just need to win the lotto to buy one....  :'(

BanzaiCat

If I wasn't married and didn't have kids, and have the income I have right now, I could save up and buy one within a couple of years. As it stands now, HA. I'll be lucky to be 'allowed' to go buy a fold-up camping table from Academy for $30. ;)

bbmike

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 15, 2015, 07:20:28 AM
The TableTop channel on YouTube, where Wil Wheaton plays boardgames with famous people (more or less famous among geeks and nerds, anyway), uses a Geek Chic table. I thought it was a pretty cool thing, until I looked up the price tag. Apparently boardgame nerds have tons of disposable income.

Or some basic woodworking skills. I've been tempted to build a gaming table. Can't be that hard and or all that expensive. I just need time and a place to put one.  :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Toonces

No doubt those Geek Chic tables are the bomb diggity.  But that is really way more money than I can spend on something like a gaming table right now.

I watch all of these shows where folks fix up stuff; buy stuff at garage sales, stable some fabric on them, paint it, and it looks great.  I think something like that is a more practical solution for me.  Anyway, I'm derailing Bison's thread...sorry dude.

panzerde

See? We're back to woodworking in the garage and a growing feeling that you need a lathe. There is method in my madness.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Bison

I'm weighing a couple of options right now, but need to make a trip to Home Depot,  and Hobby Lobby or Michaels to recon materials.

Yeah those tables are sick.  I'm pretty sure the manufacturer has never visited an actual gaming store to meet their cliental.  Last week I literally overheard a one guy tell another that he sells his blood platelets and that's how he bought some game components.   

Toonces

^ LOL.  I actually saw the owners pitch their ideas on Shark Tank.  They didn't get picked up.

I don't know if this will help, Bison, but I found a ton of ideas for the door-desk by Googling "door desk" and then when you go to images look for "hollow core". 

I just saw a neat one that used two cheap end tables as the legs, and then the door for the desk top.  Cheap and efficient...and I'm not even handy.  I'm sure you have all sorts of tools and could do it up right.  I think I'm going to go that route.

bbmike

Found this thread on BoardGameGeek where a guy built one for $408. Includes instructions and materials needed. I'm sure you could modify it to make it cost even less.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

GJK

Building from scratch would be quite enjoyable if that's what you know how and like to do but seriously, look at my wargaming table thread (which I will update tonight).  Go shop Goodwill or some local thrift stores....I see great wargaming tables there all the time.   Most just need to be sanded and refinished if you insist, otherwise, they're good to go and for on average $30-$35.  If you want to do what I did with the recessed "hidden" playing area that hides under the table top, follow my thread later (or look at the miniature version that is at the top of the page).  All that you need to do is find a table of the right size that has an easy to remove table top on it.  Most are held in by a few wood screws so as long as it's not glued down, it will work.  Just add a bottom and then make some guides for the tabletop to sit on when it is in place and you have a cat/kid proof table.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=13182.0
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Toonces

Good call on Goodwill.  I think there's one right downtown.  I may swing by there later.   O0

LongBlade

Quote from: Toonces on July 15, 2015, 07:04:00 AM

20 grand for a table?  Are you out of your mind?   :o  My new Impreza was only 25k.  Hell, I'll just buy another Impreza and game in that!

The Sultan is a bit over the top. I was looking more at the Vizier for something under $10k. Mind you, I haven't been able to set that kind of cash aside yet, but if that kind of money shows up as disposable income it will be up for serious consideration. And it will make everyone else's man caves look like man cocoons in comparison.

MUAHAHAHAHAHA  >:D
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GJK

Quote from: LongBlade on July 15, 2015, 09:08:59 PM
Quote from: Toonces on July 15, 2015, 07:04:00 AM

The Sultan is a bit over the top. I was looking more at the Vizier for something under $10k. Mind you, I haven't been able to set that kind of cash aside yet, but if that kind of money shows up as disposable income it will be up for serious consideration. And it will make everyone else's man caves look like man cocoons in comparison.

MUAHAHAHAHAHA  >:D

That's an awesome looking table and some very fine craftsmanship but as I mentioned in another thread somewhere on the innerwebs that was talking about the same model, it would drive me crazy that I couldn't slide my chair up underneath it so I would pass on this one personally (not to mention the $10k being a bit of a stepping stone as well :) )
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer