Genesis (GMT)

Started by Nefaro, June 04, 2015, 10:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Just got charged for the P500, it's heading to the printer.

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-429-genesis.aspx

Soon my Hittite army will be on the move.  ^-^

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on June 04, 2015, 10:04:46 AM

I looked over this game and was tempted to pre-order, however being a solo gamer I wonder how it would play solo.

PE

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on June 04, 2015, 01:16:11 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 04, 2015, 10:04:46 AM

I looked over this game and was tempted to pre-order, however being a solo gamer I wonder how it would play solo.

PE

It uses a similar system to Pax Romana.  Which is to say, it uses Activation Chit pulls.  Each activation in PR allows for one main activation (for an army stack) and a couple minor activations for individual unit counters, building cities, and other special activities IIRC. 

Not really meant to be run purely solitaire AFAIK, but random chit activation seems to be more popular for wargaming solo.  PR also has random events via card draws, such as previously inactive Barbarian tribes going on the offensive all of a sudden or internal revolts (for example).  Those obviously weren't the main focus of the game but were a nice touch.  Looks like this one will have similar stuff.

I just hope they've cleaned up the rules in this sequel.  I don't think they were exceptionally difficult, overall, in PR.  But it really needed better play aids with rules summaries right out of the box.  The original PR release had a fair bit of misprints and errata for both the rules and the charts/play aids.   Ideally, that's all been cleaned up in Genesis.

Barthheart

I also looked at this and am really interested in it....  but my game budget was set for Origins. We'll see what I have left if anything....  :buck2:

Nefaro

Quote from: Barthheart on June 05, 2015, 07:07:26 AM
I also looked at this and am really interested in it....  but my game budget was set for Origins. We'll see what I have left if anything....  :buck2:

Well.. you can usually get GMT games cheaper from vendors if you wait until the extra boxes from a P500 hit retail stores.  Possibly even cheaper than the pre-orderers got theirs, considering the pricey shipping from GMT.

You just have to pick it up within the retail availability window, in case the supplies run short.  Which happens often enough with GMT print runs to be a thing.  They could run out in 3 months, a year.. maybe never.  Who knows? 

bayonetbrant

OK, so now that this is arriving on people's doorsteps, let's reinvigorate the discussion!

Who gets to post the first pictures!?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Quote from: Nefaro on June 05, 2015, 12:19:07 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on June 05, 2015, 07:07:26 AM

Well.. you can usually get GMT games cheaper from vendors if you wait until the extra boxes from a P500 hit retail stores.  Possibly even cheaper than the pre-orderers got theirs, considering the pricey shipping from GMT.

You just have to pick it up within the retail availability window, in case the supplies run short.  Which happens often enough with GMT print runs to be a thing.  They could run out in 3 months, a year.. maybe never.  Who knows?

Still... shipping to the Great White North is very expensive and now our dollar just tanked against the USD....  :buck2:

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 24, 2015, 07:39:37 PM
OK, so now that this is arriving on people's doorsteps, let's reinvigorate the discussion!

Who gets to post the first pictures!?

Still reading the rules in short stints between other stuff. 

Thankfully the rulebook looks to be organized well. 

I may watch that one excellent documentary on the Hittites first, to flavor the mood.  :)