Main Menu

Forum issues?

Started by Grim.Reaper, April 21, 2019, 07:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

I know in the past the site was experiencing issues and since that it was usually hit or miss if I saw them....but I would say it has progressively gotten worse for me where at times it is becoming a real chore to be able to access the forums without multiple attempts, reloading pages, etc.  In a number of cases, between the time I start a post and try and post it, encounter errors where I need to start over (learning to copy to clipboard before saving anymore)....and trying to use the search feature nowadays, just takes forever.

Is this possibly something on my end or others seeing it?  I have tried all the different browsers out there and see the same thing so don't believe that is the case.  Sadly I am at the point where I don't visit as often as I had in the past and keep decreasing my time which is a shame since really like the content:(

Staggerwing

I have this same problem about 1/4 - 1/3 of the time I try browsing and posting. The issued seems to be OS and browser agnostic, OSX, Win7/10, Safari, Chrome, FF, all combos.

EDIT: this post originally took about 45 seconds to post.

Edit#2: the edit took about a minute or so.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

steve58

I also see some problems.  Not so much posting, just the site is slow in general.  Slow when I first access it and extremely slow when doing a search.  I use Chrome (mostly) or IE (occasionally).  PC is Win 7.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

Seems a bit worse this morning.  Just got this:

Database Error
Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Grim.Reaper

yep, i get that all the time....when i posted my message above, even had problems reporting problems:(

JasonPratt

Similar problems for a few weeks now, also seems to be getting a little worse (but that impression is subjective, haven't timed anything).

I'm using Win 8.1 on both computers, Firefox updated.

To be fair, in my case my local internet has been spotchy while AT&T is rushing around trying to lay upgraded fiber optics. So I've attributed the problems to that, since it isn't only this site for me.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

solops

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 21, 2019, 09:06:36 AM
Similar problems for a few weeks now, also seems to be getting a little worse (but that impression is subjective, haven't timed anything).
+1
Worse on Kindle than PC.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

bobarossa

Site access has sucked ever since they switched to GoDaddy.  Been a couple months at least of slow access and occasional errors.

Jarhead0331

There is an underlying issue and it's not getting fixed unless we completely scrap the forums and start over from scratch.

Personally, I havent had any issues in a couple of months, but i did have some issues today.

We've always been with godaddy. When Brant decided to leave the site we were forced to migrate the server since it was set up on his personal account. The migration caused the errors and problems you are experiencing.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 21, 2019, 05:43:25 PM
There is an underlying issue and it's not getting fixed unless we completely scrap the forums and start over from scratch.

Personally, I havent had any issues in a couple of months, but i did have some issues today.

We've always been with godaddy. When Brant decided to leave the site we were forced to migrate the server since it was set up on his personal account. The migration caused the errors and problems you are experiencing.

Thanks Jarhead, appreciate the hard work you and others do and that is why its been really tough for me.  But literally every time I come to the site it requires multiple page refreshes, very slow, difficult to post, and often receive errors (they are server based errors so I know not my machine).  Just to see this page again, required two refreshes and working through an error).  Hopefully will clear up, just frustrating at times since I really do enjoy the content and people, but increasingly becoming too much of a chore from all my devices.

Huw the Poo

Yep, I echo what Grim said.  Not complaining, just saying.  It's a pretty frustrating experience.

Jarhead0331

Sorry guys. The issues really have not been that pervasive for me since I'd say before the new year, and when it acts up like it did today, it's temporary. Getting it up and running in the first place was a monumental task that kept me awake for many nights.

Unfortunately, the root cause of the issue is at the very foundation of the code for the forum and as a result, a long term fix is not in our plans for the time being. We have far too much data here compiled over 7 years to just wash it all away. It's a very difficult decision to make, and it's not made any easier knowing that some of you are getting that frustrated. We still feel this is the best, longest standing community devoted to our hobby on the Web. I think it's worth standing by, refresh issues and all.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Also have to add that JH did all the heavy lifting as far as these issues since we have no IT guy. He single handedly tried to diagnose the issues and then work with GoDaddy to remedy, which is next to impossible.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 21, 2019, 09:16:54 PM
We still feel this is the best, longest standing community devoted to our hobby on the Web.

It certainly is!  Thanks Jarhead.

airboy

I have sporadic issues with the website and have had them since the site migration.  I suggest getting an IT person to migrate the last year of the forum if that is what it takes to get the website to run in a clean fashion.  But this is not my property and you can do as you wish.