Cambridge History of Greek & Roman Warfare

Started by Cheimison, October 26, 2017, 03:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheimison

Field of Glory II has got me looking through my collection of Osprey softbacks, but I've read most of them. Well, if it has anything to do with Greeks, Hellenistic Kingdoms or Persianids - I have read all of them. So I went into my bin of boxes and pulled out the monster two-volume set that I have been meaning to finish up for a while.
Here she is: https://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-History-Greek-Warfare-Hardback/dp/0521782732/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1509007985&sr=1-1&keywords=cambridge+history+of+greek+and+roman+warfare

This book was not that expensive when I bought it - I got it used and out of the slipcover from a D&D friend - but it is quite a bit more source-y than Osprey books, which are often half wild speculation (many of them written by the same half-dozen guys, i.e. Turnbull).

I have a couple of other of these high-falutin academic books, mostly related to Proto-Indo Europeans, but this one is going to get some reading now.

RommelFox

I was just recently trying to find out more information on Roman naval warfare and having a heck of a time finding anything substantial
.  Thanks for posting this.  I'll have to add it to the list of books to buy. 
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs